Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 8: Italian Meatballs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Made these again tonight Malari - yum! OH had the pasta and sauce and I had wrap with mayo, lettuce, chutney, cherry tomatoes and grated cheddar - was tasty!

Can I ask where you get the anchovy because I've looked in all my regular shops and can't find them! I look beside sardines etc..
    Thanks!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Tesco have preserved anchovies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I bought a tin of anchovies in the same place you find sardines and that kind of thing. It was either in my local Tesco or Dunnes. They actually keep for absolutely yonks in the fridge, which is ideal because you don't use that much of them really. Be sure to cover them tightly or your fridge will start to whiff. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Thanks - will just keep my eyes open so! Good to know I can keep them in fridge too and they'll last.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Gonna make these again either tonight or tomorrow.
    When would be the best time to freeze the spare Meatballs? Before or after they are cooked?

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Gonna make these again either tonight or tomorrow.
    When would be the best time to freeze the spare Meatballs? Before or after they are cooked?

I always froze them after, when I knew what was left!! It kind of saves time too for your next meal, you can just simmer them in a pot while the pasta is cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I made a load of these so froze a couple of batches- a big one and a small one. I froze them with the tomato sauce I cooked them in too.

The small batch was great actually... had them for lunch in work, microwaved and onto a baguette with some nice cheese. Oh yeah.

Next time I'm going to freeze a few small batches :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I think I'm going to make these tomorrow, slightly out of sync with everyone else but I'm revising for finals! I just have a couple of questions:

Would it be OK to use beef mince? I have in the past and it was good but tended to fall apart kind of easily. Is pork mince less prone to do this (more moist perhaps)?

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I think I'm going to make these tomorrow, slightly out of sync with everyone else but I'm revising for finals! I just have a couple of questions:

Would it be OK to use beef mince? I have in the past and it was good but tended to fall apart kind of easily. Is pork mince less prone to do this (more moist perhaps)?

I've found pork mince to be a bit more fatty so yeah, it holds together better, but the main reason is I think it has a far superior taste to beef meatballs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Malari wrote: »
    I've found pork mince to be a bit more fatty so yeah, it holds together better, but the main reason is I think it has a far superior taste to beef meatballs!

Ah, OK! I've seen some recipes where both beef and pork are used together, would that be weird? I'd probably be better off going with pork. I'm just wary because I don't like it much (I'm sure in this recipe, the sauce etc will overpower the flavour of the meat anyway) and for some reason the idea of pork mince puts me off but I think I will give it a go!

• Advertisement

Sure try it anyway :)

Beef and pork mix is often used, actually. I think someone mentioned it in this thread, so might be a good compromise!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've often made them with a beef and pork mince. I used half and half, although I think my sister in law uses 2/3 beef and 1/3 pork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

My way with meatballs.

No egg - a little milk, enough to moisten the breadcrumb. Work the meat, bread, milk, herbs, onions together by hand.

Important to seal in a pan.

Add some chilli to the sauce.

Cook in the oven.

Result: Tender meatballs, tasty sauce, never a broken one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I tried these for the first time last night and they were yummy! I got my butcher to mince up some pork for me, and had it with pasta last night and wraps for lunch today. Ta very much :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

I know this thread is a year old but I made these two days ago and they are the best meatballs i've ever had. I have been making meatballs for years but these are tops.
    Thanks.

Rawhead wrote: »
    I know this thread is a year old but I made these two days ago and they are the best meatballs i've ever had. I have been making meatballs for years but these are tops.
    Thanks.

Aw, thanks so much! Glad people are still enjoying these :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

They're very regular in our house too, one of the favourites. They freeze very well btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

They're very regular in our house too, one of the favourites.
    Yep, same here too. :)

They freeze very well btw.
    I normally do a huge batch with extra sauce and then freeze them into double portions. It takes ages to do but it's great when you're not in the humour to cook but still want something really nice for dinner.

Y'know, I haven't made these myself in a while. Maybe I'll whip up a batch this weekend. Inspired by replies to my own thread :o

*Goes off to search through the Cooking Club for other forgotten favourites*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

*bump*

The meatballs are simmering in the sauce at this moment; can't wait to get stuck in! These 20-ish minutes of waiting for the meat to cook through is always the longest part of the cooking period :)

I used passate for the sauce since my blenders on the fritz; I'm not sure I like the taste as much as if I'd blended choopped tomatoes. I suppose that's just another excuse to make them again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

This is tonights dinner. I am using a slow cooker to cook them and already they smell sooo good. I only got 18 meatballs out of it - but only had 600g pork mince, and I made the balls bigger so they wouldn't disintegrate in the slow cooker.:D

Thanks o.p. Will put up a pic later if I can find my camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Dinkie wrote: »
    This is tonights dinner. I am using a slow cooker to cook them and already they smell sooo good. I only got 18 meatballs out of it - but only had 600g pork mince, and I made the balls bigger so they wouldn't disintegrate in the slow cooker.:D

Thanks o.p. Will put up a pic later if I can find my camera.

If a way to a mans heart is through is stomach, then i'm well in. These were amazing. They didn't last long enough to take a photo (had gone out and was starving when we came in). I will next time though.

I added rosemary, sage, parsley and oregano to the pork (basically everything that was still growing in the garden), and like someone else I used the left over onion and added a courgette for extra veg into the sauce. We ate the left overs in a sandwich for lunch today.

The meatballs were so moist and yummy. Thanks a million Malari.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Dinkie wrote: »
    If a way to a mans heart is through is stomach, then i'm well in. These were amazing.

The meatballs were so moist and yummy. Thanks a million Malari.

+1. Thanks Malari....had these tonight and they were delish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Finally got around to making these. Delicious!

Would like to try them in the slow cooker just to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I've not had meatballs for ages so decided to make these tonight, currently firming up in the fridge. <3 this recipe.

To anyone who made these in the slow cooker - how did you go about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I just made these and they were delicious! Thank you!

I had no italian herbs to put in meatballs - just paprika and onion. I put fresh chilli in the sauce, and I browned meatballs then put them in sauce in oven.

Really nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I've had a go at making Meatballs a few times before without really hitting on anything that I really liked until making these. They were delicious and will be making them a regular enough dish from now on. Thanks OP.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

The meatballs are simmering away now (oh the smell!).
    I used rib steak mince instead of pork. Managed to roll only 27 balls, which snuggly fitted my pan.
    For the sauce, I added chilli flakes and anchovies, and omitted red wine.
    Will put up photo in the dinner thread. Thanks Malari!

Ah sugar, can't upload photo for now. Will put it up at some stage.
    These meatballs are seriously delicious! Such lovely flavour from the sage, oregano & basil, and anchovy. Was thinking of making a meatball sub for lunch but there was none left! A keeper this one is. Served with caprese salad (and pasta for Mr Fox).

• Advertisement

So I see it's been 8 months since I first made these :) Had them again last night and tonight, kids loved them. To the sauce I added sofritto and omitted red wine. Also, I baked them balls rather than frying, which made them a tad drier. But all too delicious none the less.

Advertisement