Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2010 Cooking Club Week 8: Italian Meatballs

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    So I see it's been 8 months since I first made these :) Had them again last night and tonight, kids loved them. To the sauce I added sofritto and omitted red wine. Also, I baked them balls rather than frying, which made them a tad drier. But all too delicious none the less.

Maybe bake them at a higher temperature, but for a shorter time, to get a colour on the outside, and then pop them into the sauce to finish off the cooking? I always do this when frying them, or when I'm frying off any meat that can then be finished off in a sauce. I also do this when making stirfrys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Maybe bake them at a higher temperature, but for a shorter time, to get a colour on the outside, and then pop them into the sauce to finish off the cooking? I always do this when frying them, or when I'm frying off any meat that can then be finished off in a sauce. I also do this when making stirfrys.

You're dead right. *thumbs up wiggling*

I think I'll bake them myself the next time I make them. I always make a huge batch of then and freeze them sauce in portions for two and the frying part is always the biggest pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I made these today. I've always wanted to make meatballs just never got around to it. Surprisingly they held together, I used beef mince and added some extras, cabbage and cumin powder. I'm already looking forward to dinner tomorrow 😂😊

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

rosie16 wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but I made these today. I've always wanted to make meatballs just never got around to it. Surprisingly they held together, I used beef mince and added some extras, cabbage and cumin powder. I'm already looking forward to dinner tomorrow ����

Cabbage and cumin not usual ingredients in Italian cuisine :D Will be interesting to hear how that turns out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I actually had these tonight myself. Didn't have the anchovies and they were missed. Lovely dish, my youngest child's favourite!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Malari wrote: »
    Cabbage and cumin not usual ingredients in Italian cuisine :D Will be interesting to hear how that turns out!

I live for curry :D:D Gotta get my fix in somehow. It was delicous but I currify most things. I refrained from using curry powder just cumin.

Haven’t made these in ages. They used to be such a regular dinner in our house.

I decided to make a big batch today. Partly because I had some time to kill, and partly because my 6yo keeps going on about having meatballs for dinner lately for some reason (probably some cartoon he was watching!).

Took a while, due to the quantity, 109 meatballs! But absolutely gorgeous as usual. I’ll freeze most of them and have lots of dinners sorted for the next while. :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=498662&d=1577641924

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

109 meatballs!!!!
    That's some going fair play..
    I always add some fennel seeds in the meat mixture...
    Chopped fresh basil is a bit of a winner too...

niallo76 wrote: »
    109 meatballs!!!!
    That's some going fair play..
    I always add some fennel seeds in the meat mixture...
    Chopped fresh basil is a bit of a winner too...

I know, it took ages!

I love fennel in meatballs but Mrs. B hates it. :(

I added basil to the sauce.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That's some work. And bloody hell, the Cooking Club is 10 years old.

Advertisement