Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coke Zero Bike Scheme

Options
  • 24-11-2013 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭

So now that the scheme has been officially launched, it seems to have quietened down an awful lot.

http://www.coca-cola.ie/community/coke-zero-bikes.html

Where does it go from here?

Does anyone have a list of definite docking stations for Limerick, Galway and Cork?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

So now that the scheme has been officially launched, it seems to have quietened down an awful lot.

http://www.coca-cola.ie/community/coke-zero-bikes.html

Where does it go from here?

Does anyone have a list of definite docking stations for Limerick, Galway and Cork?

Each council went to public consultation on the locations, see: http://irishcycle.com/2013/08/19/cork-galway-limerick-bike-schemes-move-forward/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I wonder what the result of those consultation meetings were.
    I know I was critical of a few of the Limerick locations (or lack of).

It would be nice to see a map of the newly confirmed station locations.

According to the NTA, the contracts for the suppliers/installers should be sorted by March. Hopefully this will mean that construction can start pretty much straight away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

According to the NTA, the contracts for the suppliers/installers should be sorted by March. Hopefully this will mean that construction can start pretty much straight away.

Tenders were issued in the last month for engineers for construction works. I know one guy that tendered for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Advertisement

Dublin Bikes was launched in September 2009 with works starting in April 2009.

Coke Zero Bikes are supposed to launch in July which would indicate that they are already behind schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Dublin Bikes was launched in September 2009 with works starting in April 2009.

Coke Zero Bikes are supposed to launch in July which would indicate that they are already behind schedule.

To be fair, it's probably a much smaller scheme then the Dublin Bikes one.

flazio wrote: »
    To be fair, it's probably a much smaller scheme then the Dublin Bikes one.

Dublin started with 40 stations. Cork will have 31.
    There's going to be 23 stations in Limerick and 19 in Galway.

Together, that's over 30 more than Dublin.

Looks like work has started on the bike scheme in Limerick.
    Not sure why pink was chosen for the ground.

357rlgm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Could they not have just removed the double yellow lines before doing that? Jesus it's sloppy if that's how it'll remain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

This is just how things are done in Ireland. Sloppiness and the infuriating "ah sure t'will be grand!" approach are a given!

Another point. Was there even any consultation done in relation to this installation?! O'Connell Street is due a makeover and a reorganisation of traffic lanes and provision of wider footpaths is proposed for that location. Which means that the docking station will have to be ripped out again pretty soon! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Update from Galway.

News story in todays Connacht Tribune re the Galway BikeScheme
    http://connachttribune.ie/galway-cit...cheme-delayed/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Any update on this in Limerick?

Still no sign of anything in any of the cities. The September launch days looking doubtful again!

Still no sign of anything in any of the cities. The September launch days looking doubtful again!

The September date, if I recall correctly, was an "at the earliest", with "Autumn" been said as the main new target.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know how the Cork/Galway/Limerick schemes are funded ? Like are Coke picking up the entire tab or was there some involvement by JCDeaux for advertising space like in Dublin ?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know how the Cork/Galway/Limerick schemes are funded ? Like are Coke picking up the entire tab or was there some involvement by JCDeaux for advertising space like in Dublin ?

It's a mix of Coke, public funding and potential subscription costs.

No advertising besides the sponsorship deal. A new consortium of companies, which experience with bike share systems, bike rental, etc, will run the systems on behalf of the NTA and local councils.

Looks as though the electrical works have finally started in a few locations around Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Any further works in Cork or Limerick? Nothing to report from Galway regarding Coke Zero Bike Stations been built

http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2013/minister-kelly-launches-%E2%80%98coke-zero-bikes%E2%80%99-bike-share-scheme-cork-limerick-galway
    "
    The roll out of the schemes is being made possible following an agreement by Coca-Cola Ireland to partner with the Department of Transport, Tourism & Sport, the NTA and the Cities of Cork, Galway and Limerick on this important initiative which will be operational in July 2014.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Its good to see this being rolled out in the bigger cities in ireland, i'm surprised it took this long given how successful it was in dublin.

Are they going to let peole use their cards everywhere in the country or will it be seperate ones for each jurisdiction?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

PauloConn wrote: »
    Are they going to let peole use their cards everywhere in the country or will it be seperate ones for each jurisdiction?

I sure as hell hope it will be the same cards.

Plus the cards should be integrated into Leap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bk wrote: »
    I sure as hell hope it will be the same cards.

Plus the cards should be integrated into Leap.

the number of people regularly using bike schemes in multiple cities would be pretty small.

By all means use a single card but I wouldn't want to see my Dublin subscription price increase because I can hypothetically use bikes in cities I virtually never visit.

loyatemu wrote: »
    the number of people regularly using bike schemes in multiple cities would be pretty small.

By all means use a single card but I wouldn't want to see my Dublin subscription price increase because I can hypothetically use bikes in cities I virtually never visit.

Yeah, they'd lose a potential "tourist" stream if they let the cards work all over the country as opposed to having to get a card in Cork, Galway, Dublin when on hols
    Will be an interesting choice.
    Not sure about integrating with Leap. Good idea from an overall transport point of view but will DB want to give up its identity to Leap

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

None of the numerous bus firms using leap have lost their identity, it's just a payment method after all

MYOB wrote: »
    None of the numerous bus firms using leap have lost their identity, it's just a payment method after all

Yeah but they hadn't any branded cards and worked on cash whereas dublinbikes does.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Yeah but they hadn't any branded cards and worked on cash whereas dublinbikes does.

Irish Rail and Dublin Bus both had their own branded tickets

They still do, but you now have the option of getting a leap version as well or paying cash.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They still do, but you now have the option of getting a leap version as well or paying cash.

They had their own smartcards; both gone.

However, there's no reason you'd need to replace the existing DB card either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Could they put the bikes scheme cards onto the Leap cards as an option?

• Advertisement

A delay in the electrical works means the bikes won't be launched until November.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/electrical-work-delay-for-public-bike-scheme-roll-out-285643.html

Advertisement