Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coke Zero Bike Scheme

• 24-11-2013 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭

So now that the scheme has been officially launched, it seems to have quietened down an awful lot.

http://www.coca-cola.ie/community/coke-zero-bikes.html

Where does it go from here?

Does anyone have a list of definite docking stations for Limerick, Galway and Cork?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

So now that the scheme has been officially launched, it seems to have quietened down an awful lot.

http://www.coca-cola.ie/community/coke-zero-bikes.html

Where does it go from here?

Does anyone have a list of definite docking stations for Limerick, Galway and Cork?

Each council went to public consultation on the locations, see: http://irishcycle.com/2013/08/19/cork-galway-limerick-bike-schemes-move-forward/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I wonder what the result of those consultation meetings were.
    I know I was critical of a few of the Limerick locations (or lack of).

It would be nice to see a map of the newly confirmed station locations.

According to the NTA, the contracts for the suppliers/installers should be sorted by March. Hopefully this will mean that construction can start pretty much straight away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

According to the NTA, the contracts for the suppliers/installers should be sorted by March. Hopefully this will mean that construction can start pretty much straight away.

Tenders were issued in the last month for engineers for construction works. I know one guy that tendered for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Advertisement

Dublin Bikes was launched in September 2009 with works starting in April 2009.

Coke Zero Bikes are supposed to launch in July which would indicate that they are already behind schedule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Dublin Bikes was launched in September 2009 with works starting in April 2009.

Coke Zero Bikes are supposed to launch in July which would indicate that they are already behind schedule.

To be fair, it's probably a much smaller scheme then the Dublin Bikes one.

flazio wrote: »
    To be fair, it's probably a much smaller scheme then the Dublin Bikes one.

Dublin started with 40 stations. Cork will have 31.
    There's going to be 23 stations in Limerick and 19 in Galway.

Together, that's over 30 more than Dublin.

Looks like work has started on the bike scheme in Limerick.
    Not sure why pink was chosen for the ground.

357rlgm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Could they not have just removed the double yellow lines before doing that? Jesus it's sloppy if that's how it'll remain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

This is just how things are done in Ireland. Sloppiness and the infuriating "ah sure t'will be grand!" approach are a given!

Another point. Was there even any consultation done in relation to this installation?! O'Connell Street is due a makeover and a reorganisation of traffic lanes and provision of wider footpaths is proposed for that location. Which means that the docking station will have to be ripped out again pretty soon! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Update from Galway.

News story in todays Connacht Tribune re the Galway BikeScheme
    http://connachttribune.ie/galway-cit...cheme-delayed/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Any update on this in Limerick?

Still no sign of anything in any of the cities. The September launch days looking doubtful again!

Still no sign of anything in any of the cities. The September launch days looking doubtful again!

The September date, if I recall correctly, was an "at the earliest", with "Autumn" been said as the main new target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know how the Cork/Galway/Limerick schemes are funded ? Like are Coke picking up the entire tab or was there some involvement by JCDeaux for advertising space like in Dublin ?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know how the Cork/Galway/Limerick schemes are funded ? Like are Coke picking up the entire tab or was there some involvement by JCDeaux for advertising space like in Dublin ?

It's a mix of Coke, public funding and potential subscription costs.

No advertising besides the sponsorship deal. A new consortium of companies, which experience with bike share systems, bike rental, etc, will run the systems on behalf of the NTA and local councils.

Looks as though the electrical works have finally started in a few locations around Limerick.

Any further works in Cork or Limerick? Nothing to report from Galway regarding Coke Zero Bike Stations been built

http://www.dttas.ie/press-releases/2013/minister-kelly-launches-%E2%80%98coke-zero-bikes%E2%80%99-bike-share-scheme-cork-limerick-galway
    "
    The roll out of the schemes is being made possible following an agreement by Coca-Cola Ireland to partner with the Department of Transport, Tourism & Sport, the NTA and the Cities of Cork, Galway and Limerick on this important initiative which will be operational in July 2014.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Its good to see this being rolled out in the bigger cities in ireland, i'm surprised it took this long given how successful it was in dublin.

Are they going to let peole use their cards everywhere in the country or will it be seperate ones for each jurisdiction?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

PauloConn wrote: »
    Are they going to let peole use their cards everywhere in the country or will it be seperate ones for each jurisdiction?

I sure as hell hope it will be the same cards.

Plus the cards should be integrated into Leap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bk wrote: »
    I sure as hell hope it will be the same cards.

Plus the cards should be integrated into Leap.

the number of people regularly using bike schemes in multiple cities would be pretty small.

By all means use a single card but I wouldn't want to see my Dublin subscription price increase because I can hypothetically use bikes in cities I virtually never visit.

loyatemu wrote: »
    the number of people regularly using bike schemes in multiple cities would be pretty small.

By all means use a single card but I wouldn't want to see my Dublin subscription price increase because I can hypothetically use bikes in cities I virtually never visit.

Yeah, they'd lose a potential "tourist" stream if they let the cards work all over the country as opposed to having to get a card in Cork, Galway, Dublin when on hols
    Will be an interesting choice.
    Not sure about integrating with Leap. Good idea from an overall transport point of view but will DB want to give up its identity to Leap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

None of the numerous bus firms using leap have lost their identity, it's just a payment method after all

MYOB wrote: »
    None of the numerous bus firms using leap have lost their identity, it's just a payment method after all

Yeah but they hadn't any branded cards and worked on cash whereas dublinbikes does.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Yeah but they hadn't any branded cards and worked on cash whereas dublinbikes does.

Irish Rail and Dublin Bus both had their own branded tickets

They still do, but you now have the option of getting a leap version as well or paying cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They still do, but you now have the option of getting a leap version as well or paying cash.

They had their own smartcards; both gone.

However, there's no reason you'd need to replace the existing DB card either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

Could they put the bikes scheme cards onto the Leap cards as an option?

• Advertisement

A delay in the electrical works means the bikes won't be launched until November.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/electrical-work-delay-for-public-bike-scheme-roll-out-285643.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

A delay in the electrical works means the bikes won't be launched until November.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/electrical-work-delay-for-public-bike-scheme-roll-out-285643.html

How can electrical works be delayed in 3 unlinked cities?

Yeah, doesn't make sense. The installations are built around electrical power and data connections being available. Sounds like there's some sort of "discussion" with vested interests going on in a room somewhere.

Have you never seen how long the ESB can sometimes take to connect new street lights or zebra crossings etc?

Street lights between our estate and the main road have been waiting for the ESB to connect then for more than 6 months.

In the last year or so I've also seen the ESB take 3 months or more to connect a zebra crossing (was told same delay happened on older one) and the council are now waiting a notable time to get a pole and supply box removed for a small road widening project.

monument wrote: »
    Have you never seen how long the ESB can sometimes take to connect new street lights or zebra crossings etc?

Street lights between our estate and the main road have been waiting for the ESB to connect then for more than 6 months.

In the last year or so I've also seen the ESB take 3 months or more to connect a zebra crossing (was told same delay happened on older one) and the council are now waiting a notable time to get a pole and supply box removed for a small road widening project.

Are you in a private estate? I don't really see this happening elsewhere.

ESB Networks are usually pretty quick in getting stuff done. 3 Months or more is the stuff of the 80s.

Five Lamps wrote: »
    Are you in a private estate? I don't really see this happening elsewhere.

ESB Networks are usually pretty quick in getting stuff done. 3 Months or more is the stuff of the 80s.

The lights are on a very much so public road and the council said the delay is the ESB. The zebra crossings delaies were on public roads too and if not 3 months or more, it was close.

Maybe ESB are busy as hell in large sections of the country upgrading the network -- they are around our way and that may have a knockon affect.

• Advertisement

With the good weather we had all summer (and this month!), I'm sure they're absolutely sickened they missed the initial launch date. They'll have to work hard to get people to sign up for the scheme coming into the colder, wetter, darker months!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Especially so, considering that the Dublin Bikes had its busiest day ever just last week. September would have been an ideal time to launch, given that colleges go back, and working people might start new habits as the traffic gets a little heavier.

will have built-in gear-shifting technology, enabling automatic gear-changes which will contribute towards easier, safer cycling for users

Anyone have any knowledge of this ? I would of taught KISS would be the best approach here, introducing a complicated automatic gearing system seems a bit short sighted

Aard wrote: »
    Especially so, considering that the Dublin Bikes had its busiest day ever just last week. September would have been an ideal time to launch, given that colleges go back, and working people might start new habits as the traffic gets a little heavier.

DublinBikes mainly had it's busiest day recently because it only recently got up to ~1,500 bicycles with the new stations added and increasing numbers of users.

Numbers of users is likely to keep increasing and it's posable that the record daily use will be broken again this month and again next month.

Yeah it would have been better to get this launched in the summer, launching it in the winter might mean that the true impact of the new bikes might not be felt until summer next year. Creating a buzz about launching the bikes in the middle of winter will be tricky so while people who intend using it regulary will sign up on launch those who intend to be more casual users might hold off and stick with the bus. Still though there can be little doubt that it'll be a success in time.

Just wondering at what stage is any current plans to extend the bikes further again in Dublin? I know its been mentioned as being part of a Greater Dublin Area transport plan but has anything concrete happened yet, or even any maps of what suburbs it might extent to yet?

• Advertisement

Yeah it would have been better to get this launched in the summer, launching it in the winter might mean that the true impact of the new bikes might not be felt until summer next year. Creating a buzz about launching the bikes in the middle of winter will be tricky so while people who intend using it regulary will sign up on launch those who intend to be more casual users might hold off and stick with the bus. Still though there can be little doubt that it'll be a success in time.

Just wondering at what stage is any current plans to extend the bikes further again in Dublin? I know its been mentioned as being part of a Greater Dublin Area transport plan but has anything concrete happened yet, or even any maps of what suburbs it might extent to yet?

There are several maps in the DB thread

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Limerick launched by the end of the month? What have they been smoking? They've started to build about 3 of the 23 stations so far.

Anyone know what the automatic gearing system on the bikes is about? Sounds like it could be problematic ? They mentioned it briefly the Examiner article above but no further detail

Anyone know what the automatic gearing system on the bikes is about? Sounds like it could be problematic ? They mentioned it briefly the Examiner article above but no further detail

Unless I'm mistaken: the bikes won't need gear shifters on their handlebars. A bit like an automatic car.

Can't see it been too problematic, but have never cycled a bike with them.

monument wrote: »
    Unless I'm mistaken: the bikes won't need gear shifters on their handlebars. A bit like an automatic car.

Can't see it been too problematic, but have never cycled a bike with them.

5 years down the road I think they might regret this over complication. Maybe not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

no way it's opening mid-December in Cork. They only fenced off some of the station sites last week.

no way it's opening mid-December in Cork. They only fenced off some of the station sites last week.

On this site
    https://www.bikeshare.ie/
    they are giving 18th Dec as launch date for Cork

On this site
    https://www.bikeshare.ie/
    they are giving 18th Dec as launch date for Cork

They also say they support leap and
    https://www.bikeshare.ie/how-bikeshare-works
    and are that it's coming soon
    https://www.bikeshare.ie/faq-info

so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

singed up anyways. If it's starts in December I'll be delighted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement