Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Rebel Tour 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Both are tough sportives all right but I consider the Rebel 160 to be harder than the SKT. Lots of hard climbing all round the course on the Rebel as opposed to the 4 main climbs on the SKT.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

lismore7 wrote: »
    How would you compare the Rebel 160 to the SK 160 on the month before?

I've done the Rebel 85 & SK 100 last year. Struggled on Healy pass.
    This year have trained harder and done TDC 160, Burren tour 100 and the ROK.
    Still not made my mind up yet whether to step up to the Rebel & SK 160s.
    My pace on the longer hilly spins is only 23kph and don't fancy being a back marker
    Heard both rebel and Sk 160s are the toughest on the circuit?

With that lot in your legs you will be fine. Rebel is too tough for many people to push the pace (Allihies to Eyres espectially) so lots of people stopping lots later on. It reallly is a stunning ride once you get out past Casteltownbere and back to base of Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

The Rebel 160 is far harder than the RoK imo, and a friend of mine who has done the SkT 160 considers the rebel 160 harder than that as well he has done it once and will not do it again. Unless anyone is a decent cyclist in peak condition they should not even consider the Rebel 160, the Rebel 85 Km is a challenging and spectacular route and should be enough for most cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

The Rebel 160 is far harder than the RoK imo, and a friend of mine who has done the SkT 160 considers the rebel 160 harder than that as well he has done it once and will not do it again. Unless anyone is a decent cyclist in peak condition they should not even consider the Rebel 160, the Rebel 85 Km is a challenging and spectacular route and should be enough for most cyclists.

My understanding is that there is a short cut on the 160 knocking about 30kms off it if you are struggling to keep up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

My pace on the longer hilly spins is only 23kph and don't fancy being a back marker

Cycle up from Lismore to Clogheen, Clonmel, do Ticincor and come back via Nire/Ballymac.

If you want to do SKT introduce yourself to Ticincor first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

It's tough but doable for anyone with a reasonable amount of KMs in their legs, I did it in 2012 having only taken back up cycling in January of that year, you just need to be sensible about the pace you set for the first half and have gearing that you can manage the (short) steep ramps out around Cods Head with (a 28 will be fine). The good thing is that when you come down off the Healy the first time you have the option to turn left back to Glengarrif if you're under pressure and also there is the option to take the main road from Castltownbere to Eyries if need be.

It's well worth making the effort to try and do the 160, the whole peninsula and especially the far end is spectacular country for cycling, the view when you come over the crest before Allihies is unbelievable on a fine day.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

ford2600 wrote: »
    Cycle up from Lismore to Clogheen, Clonmel, do Ticincor and come back via Nire/Ballymac.

If you want to do SKT introduce yourself to Ticincor first.

Whats Ticincor like compared to Mount Mellary climb from the Tipp side?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

Did SKT and the Rebel last year. Would probably make the Rebel slightly harder. Whilst the elevation profiles of both are similar, SKTs climbs are more spread out... and there is no section in Waterford to rival the pain of Allihies/Eyres!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

They are both very tough, and I would rate the Rebel 160 as harder but given all the other rides you've listed it sounds like you're ready to push yourself that little bit harder and take them on.

With the Rebel tour, the 85 is tough alright but you completely miss out the best part of the route. Around the head of the peninsula there are a series of short steep ramps that are really energy sapping but absolutely spectacular on a clear day. The 160 takes you out there and that's where you realise the Caha and Healy are actually OK because they are at least fairly steady whereas these short bursts are real tests for your motivation and tenacity.

I wouldn't be a bit worried about speed either. You won't be last at those speeds by a long chalk and when you get to the end the feeling of satisfaction (and the buzz in Glengarriff for the Rebel tour) will be immense and you won't give a hoot about speed.

I am very excited about this event now. Did the 85 last two years and pretty sure I am ready for the 160 now. With the ROK out of the way, summer training is all about the Rebel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

I best get some climbing in by the sounds of things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Whats Ticincor like compared to Mount Mellary climb from the Tipp side?

http://www.strava.com/segments/656146

Shorter, steeper with very little at easy gradient. probably close to 20 mins of suffering at a guess( as I don't know you)! It is very narrow and busy on SKT so it is chaotic at bottom which is very steep.

http://www.strava.com/segments/733181

You gain more height on this one, but not as steep on average but it has some tough sections, but also sections to recover. Probably 25 mins or so

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

How does this compare to the WW200 in the opinion of anyone who has done both?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

DD Mikasa wrote: »
    How does this compare to the WW200 in the opinion of anyone who has done both?

I've done both twice and IMHO WW200 is harder, but then it's a much longer day for me, up at 4.30, drive to Greystones, do the cycle and drive home, whereas for the Rebel it was a case of roll out of the hotel after a leisurely breakfast and away up the road.

The WW200 is longer, has more meters of climbing and even the humpy bit after Avoca is somewhat comparable to the Allihies-Eyries stretch.

The one proviso that I'd put to the above is that I haven't done the Rebel on a bad day weather wise, if the wind was howling it'd be fairly rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Looking forward to this. 1st time and on the 87km route

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

ford2600 wrote: »
    http://www.strava.com/segments/656146

Shorter, steeper with very little at easy gradient. probably close to 20 mins of suffering at a guess( as I don't know you)! It is very narrow and busy on SKT so it is chaotic at bottom which is very steep.

http://www.strava.com/segments/733181

You gain more height on this one, but not as steep on average but it has some tough sections, but also sections to recover. Probably 25 mins or so

Thanks Ford: Great advice and info on those 2 climbs.
    Am going to give Mt Mellary from the Tipp side another go this morning. Last time had (4 wks ago) had to stop 4 times, so a month on, this is how I will test my training & stamina!!
    If I can crack this 1, then it's onto to Ticincor...and then maybe the Rebel 160 and the SK 160 but I think I need to be able to crack those 2 mentioned climbs before I'm able to move up to that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

Thanks Ford: Great advice and info on those 2 climbs.
    Am going to give Mt Mellary from the Tipp side another go this morning. Last time had (4 wks ago) had to stop 4 times, so a month on, this is how I will test my training & stamina!!
    If I can crack this 1, then it's onto to Ticincor...and then maybe the Rebel 160 and the SK 160 but I think I need to be able to crack those 2 mentioned climbs before I'm able to move up to that level.

Once you conquer Ticincor and Knockboy then try Shanrahan! (N to S) but be very careful on the descent on Shanrahan.

If you can complete these climbs you are pretty much ready for any climb in Munster!!
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Jovetic

50 quid entry, wtf :eek:

How much was it last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

Here's a video that shows most of the route n the rebel tour ( though we did caha pass & healy the opposite ways ) with the beautiful Castletownbere to Ahillies part of the end of the peninsula.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBVCm8prjr8

Jovetic wrote: »
    50 quid entry, wtf :eek:

How much was it last year?

€40 + €1 booking fee.

• Advertisement

Got an email today -

I am writing to you in relation the An Post Rebel Tour and your entry to the 55km Rebel Cruise Route.

Due to the extremely low numbers registered for the 55km route this year, and the logistics involved with support crews, volunteers and ambulance crew for each of the individual routes, we have had to take a decision to CANCEL the 55km route for this year.

We will be contacting you by phone in the next 24hrs to ascertain if you would like a FREE UPGRADE to the 85km Rebel Rider or a full refund.

We feel that the low number is due to the distance being so close to the 85km with both routes having 2 climbs so if you feel up for the challenge we will upgrade you to the 85km route.

Please note the entry for the 85km & 160km have already exceeded last year’s numbers and we are looking forward to another fantastic day on the Beara peninsula. Forecast also looks very favourable again for the 3rd year!!

On behalf of Cork Sports Partnership I would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause but as you can imagine the logistics of organising an event like this are huge and with 65 people registered for this event it is just not feasible to proceed for this year.

Yours sincerely

Eithne Hammond

The other half was meant to be doing the 55km spin and wont be able for the 85km. As its already sold out would anyone like me to ask about a transfer before looking for a refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

shame they have cancelled the 55k - what was the entry fee for that?

think 50 Euro for the other routes was uncalled for, 40 Euro is plenty for these events, given majority of people have to travel some sort of distance

It was €40.

the only thing I can think of that has the price at €50 for the 85/160km is that you get a gilet in the price
    Cork%20Rebel%20Tour%20Gilet.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Andalucia wrote: »
    shame they have cancelled the 55k - what was the entry fee for that?

think 50 Euro for the other routes was uncalled for, 40 Euro is plenty for these events, given majority of people have to travel some sort of distance

If you registered early and are a Cycling Ireland member the cost was only €43.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

only entered it just now, 45 with CI licence plus 2.70 booking fee - nice few quid going somewhere given majority of entries will be online

hope the weather is bit better that it was for SK, plus I'm likely to make a camping wkend out of it

getting close folks. Anyone good at predicting weather a week out?! Will these nice conditions stick around until Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

BailMeOut wrote: »
    getting close folks....
    Don't remind me!I'm hoping it stays dry though.

Sunny with showers forecasted.
    Can't wait but already know it's going to be a sufferfest

• Registered Users Posts: 32 willya

Not looking forward to this... signed up in the excitement of completing the ROK. Have being traveling for work over the last while so have little to no training done. 160 kms woohoo!!! Someone please tell me the distance is over exaggerated like the ROK!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@willya

Prepare for a world of hurt.
    The Ring of Beara which thie 160 takes in is significantly tougher than the RoK.
    There is an 15km section of road from before Allihies to Eyeries that has three very short very sever climbs. You will feel like you are on a roller coaster.
    By that stage you will have already taken in the Caha and Healy pass.

It's a great route, but if you are basing it on the RoK then reevaluate.

Advertisement