Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post Rebel Tour 2014

Options
  • 07-03-2014 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

The An Post Rebel Tour 2014 will be taking place from Glengarriff on Saturday 13th September from 09:30.

Registration now OPEN online right here :)

They have the
    ~ 160 km Rebel Challenge
    ~ 85km Rebel Rider
    ~ 55km Rebel Cruise
    Early Bird Discount of €5 off per entry plus entry into a draw for a "Limited Edition - An Post Rebel Tour long sleeve Jacket" available until 30th June 2014. Jackets will not be available to purchase. After this date all participants including Unwaged and Full Time Students will be charged an additional €5.

I didn't see a thread on this to thought I would create and highlight this for 2014.

Won't be participating myself as tbh my Heart & my Head are not into cycling this year since my Loving Dad passed away on 20th December 2013 and it would be very difficult for me to even come close to this achievement by me.

Wishing You All the Very Best though in your Cycling in 2014 in All Aspects.

Safe Peddling,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Entered the other day also a discount if you have CI licence. A tough but great day last year. I think there are plans to start the cycle earlier this year which is no harm.

Kerry4Sam sorry to hear about your loss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Masala

A really great day out!!!.... Boy did I not enjoy that pint at the end (sitting outside a pub) waiting on our designated driver to finish!! Great banter

I believe its a Gilet this year rather than a Jersey....cooooollll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Masala wrote: »
    I believe its a Gilet this year rather than a Jersey.

This has suddenly lifted its appeal to me - a few events on the same weekend, a gilet instead of another useless jersey may be what finally swings it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Did the 160 last year and it was hands down the best day ever on the bike. The food stops and marshaling was excellent but the weather and the views around the coast made it. Will def by going again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Did it two years ago and have to agree its one of the best routes over ever done, fantastic cycling.

Missed it last year due to injury, fec it thought of doing this this has had put a smile on my face - I'm going for a cycle now :)

Sorry for your loss kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I have chickened out of the 160 two years in a row opting for the 85 both times. Still unsure if I am ready for the 160 this year either! Is it true that there is a short cut you can take if not keeping up with everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Booked onto the 85K route. God help me...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

Not able to make this year's unfortunately. Did the 160KM last year and it was my favourite event of the year. A good challenging route, wonderful scenery and the smashing weather all made for a great day on the bike.

A gilet is definitely a nice break from the norm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I have chickened out of the 160 two years in a row opting for the 85 both times. Still unsure if I am ready for the 160 this year either! Is it true that there is a short cut you can take if not keeping up with everyone?
    Yeah you can take a right at Castletown (about 75k mark) and skip about 30k. If you're too slow they make you take that shortcut to make sure everyone's home by darkness. It is the nicest 30k you skip though!

GReat day out last year, smashing sights, great marshalling and food stops. Highly reccomend (the full lot!)

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yeah you can take a right at Castletown (about 75k mark) and skip about 30k. If you're too slow they make you take that shortcut to make sure everyone's home by darkness. It is the nicest 30k you skip though!

GReat day out last year, smashing sights, great marshalling and food stops. Highly reccomend (the full lot!)

OK - registered for the 160km. Cannot believe I have to do Healy pass twice in one day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

OK - registered for the 160km. Cannot believe I have to do Healy pass twice in one day!

The Healy twice isn't too bad because you're mentally prepared for it, the killer for me last year was between Allihies and Eyeries. Constant up and down. Didn't stop me from signed up again this year though. Well done on taking the plunge, you won't regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

Yes Allihies and Eyeries were killers. Loads of short and steep bits that didnt look like much on the gradient map before hand. Caha and Healy Passes, you know what you're getting into!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Cape Clear wrote: »

I was already thinking of this and that may have just swung it

The Healy twice isn't too bad because you're mentally prepared for it, the killer for me last year was between Allihies and Eyeries. Constant up and down.
    Yeah some absolutely smashing/awful hills there. Very short but very steep, with quite technical descents the other side so nowhere to enjoy it. Some view tho!

Looking forward to rebel tour this year, missed last years . Cycle down there a bit and have to say its one of best routes on any sportive or charity cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lismore7

Did the 85k last year for the first time and had a brilliant day.
    Scenery was stunning, event very well organised and criac was mighty.
    Met up with a great bunch of lads from Cork on the way round. Thought they were joking about having a cold bottle of Bulmers at the top of Healy Pass....THEY WEREN'T !! They had a mate waiting at the top with ice cold bottles of cider :D Bet they don't do that on the Giro :)
    Had such an enjoyable day and really want to do it again this year...only thing is, it's on same day at Giants Causeway Challenge up north, which I would have loved to have tried...so not sure which I'll do yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

lismore7 wrote: »
    Did the 85k last year for the first time and had a brilliant day.
    Scenery was stunning, event very well organised and criac was mighty.
    Met up with a great bunch of lads from Cork on the way round. Thought they were joking about having a cold bottle of Bulmers at the top of Healy Pass....THEY WEREN'T !! They had a mate waiting at the top with ice cold bottles of cider :D Bet they don't do that on the Giro :)
    Had such an enjoyable day and really want to do it again this year...only thing is, it's on same day at Giants Causeway Challenge up north, which I would have loved to have tried...so not sure which I'll do yet.

Well if you thought the scenery was stunning you should do the 160km, it will blow you away. Bear in mind the 160 is one of the toughest sportives around but if you keep up your training for the ROK and do regular 100km spins you'll find it a great challenge to aim for.

Jinkypoly is spot on on about scenery, it's from Castletown onwards that the scenery is particularly stunning . this also toughest part but well worth it

jinkypolly wrote: »
    Well if you thought the scenery was stunning you should do the 160km, it will blow you away. Bear in mind the 160 is one of the toughest sportives around but if you keep up your training for the ROK and do regular 100km spins you'll find it a great challenge to aim for.

Many thanks for the advice J.
    Not sure if I'm up to the Rebel 160? I did the 160k TDC the other week and really struggled for pace. Ended up being 1 of the back markers and spent much of the day going round on my own, cause didn't have the pace to keep up with others. Kinda took the fun out of it for me.... my ave speed is only 23 kph...not to mention many hours riding in that bloody rain all day and freezing my **** off.
    Might book in for the 85k and see how the summer goes, I suppose one can always switch distances on the day, once your registered?

• Advertisement

Booked for the rebel any recommendations on here to stay on the Friday before it? Cheap but a good night's sleep

stecleary wrote: »
    Booked for the rebel any recommendations on here to stay on the Friday before it? Cheap but a good night's sleep

Donal O'Shea's campsite outside Glengarriff isn't a bad spot!

Eccles website has €55 for the 12th for a single room and €110 for a double. Cycle starts/ends there so would be pretty handy.

Bantry is very close to glengariff so could stay in Maritime and plenty of choice in Kenmare which is also close. Can rent house in Kenmare bay hotel for 300 euro that sleeps 7, great spot.

Eccles in glengarrif is nearest and handiest if you want a pint afterwards and hang around.. Another hotel in glengariff I think.

Lismore sure you can do 160 if you want, it's same fee. Looking forward to doing it - my average pace is low after year off back with back problems so will head off earlier than club and they will catch me by allihies .

anyone have a proper map of the 160? The one of the Rebel website shows that it is 62007.65 metres of climbing which is a wee bit off! (I hope!).

anyone have a proper map of the 160? The one of the Rebel website shows that it is 62007.65 metres of climbing which is a wee bit off! (I hope!).
    Here's from my gps last year - 2385m
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ie/bantry-m/101-91-mi-road-cycling-on-14-09-2013-route-289747609

Shedite27 wrote: »

Thanks you, so it's 2,385 metres over 163kms.

ROK was 1,469 over 170.

Thanks you, so it's 2,385 metres over 163kms.

ROK was 1,469 over 170.

You do the same big climb twice on this so that would add to it. Looks like its gonna be a tough day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

You do the same big climb twice on this so that would add to it. Looks like its gonna be a tough day

The 160 is spectacularly beautiful but very tough, down around the allihies is unforgiving, many a cyclist has walked up a few of those hills, there's a great sense of achievement when you finish though.

• Advertisement

How would you compare the Rebel 160 to the SK 160 on the month before?

I've done the Rebel 85 & SK 100 last year. Struggled on Healy pass.
    This year have trained harder and done TDC 160, Burren tour 100 and the ROK.
    Still not made my mind up yet whether to step up to the Rebel & SK 160s.
    My pace on the longer hilly spins is only 23kph and don't fancy being a back marker
    Heard both rebel and Sk 160s are the toughest on the circuit?

Advertisement