Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaisce help

Options
  • 05-09-2014 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

im in TY and we are about to start our gasice award
    last year it wasn't explained properly to us and everyone thought the activities you did as a group in TY throughout the year were included in gaisce but this is not the case
    im 15 and i dont play sports but after christmas for my physical i plan to start swimming in my local leisure centre because its not that expensive.
    the personal is the hardest for me because i cannot afford lessons to play an instrument or singing lessons and i really dont know what to do..
    every week after school i sing in our school choir and i was planning to include that for my personal (i know its included in community but im hoping he wont mind) because we are putting on a christmas concert and its all been done after school. do you think that idea would be ac acceptable?
    my teacher thats over gaisce isn't nice and he expects us to have all of it sorted out by monday
    and i have no clue what to do for my community.
    i like singing and i also sing in a church choir each week in my grandparents parish but that isnt exactly very local but my grandad could sign off that i sang every week and my teacher wouldn't know. if i could add that for my community it would be great but im really unsure.
    i tried my local library but they refused to take me i doubt charity shops will let me volunteer at this stage because there is 55 in my year and there is one charity shop in my town
    i'd appreciate if anyone could help me out because im stressed about what to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

missdons wrote: »
    the personal is the hardest for me because i cannot afford lessons to play an instrument or singing lessons and i really dont know what to do..

You don't need to pay for anything. You can learn something at home like a language, cooking, ECDL, photography, painting etc.
    every week after school i sing in our school choir and i was planning to include that for my personal (i know its included in community but im hoping he wont mind) because we are putting on a christmas concert and its all been done after school. do you think that idea would be ac acceptable?

I think it has to be completely outside of school.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Your personal skill does not have to be expensive or in any way extraordinary, it can be as simple as painting, calligraphy, chess, computers, acting, drama classes, cooking/baking or even singing lessons.

As far as I am aware it does not have to be outside of school because being a member of the student council in school is accepted as community involvement.
    i like singing and i also sing in a church choir each week in my grandparents parish but that isnt exactly very local but my grandad could sign off that i sang every week and my teacher wouldn't know. if i could add that for my community it would be great but im really unsure.

You can only use singing in the choir for one activity, you definitely will not be allowed use it for both skill and community. For your community involvement you could help out the tidy towns committee, take part in church cleaning, volunteer for any charity/school/local committee or club, join the student council, help out at youth clubs or with any youth groups like football teams etc.

Seen as you already take part in the choir and that is acceptable for community I would be looking for another idea for my personal skill if I was you :)

Advertisement