Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you like Halloween?

Options
  • 25-08-2014 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭

I was never really a fan of it growing up. It never really excited me I just liked having time off school as I got older I liked it a little more because I knew once it was over they would start putting out more Christmas stuff in the shops!

Are you a fan of Halloween?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

I do! October-December is my favourite period of the year. I love dressing up, in recent years I've made a big effort with my costume. I also love coming up with things to hand out on Halloween, although I live in a rural area and it has happened where we got no trick or treaters! Love getting creative with pumpkins, I've been known to spend 3 hours carving one haha. I'm always trawling Pinterest for Halloween decoration and recipe ideas. I'm not a fan of horrors really, but I love watching halloween themed films and TV shows. One of my favourite things to do Halloween night is light candles, turn off the lights and watch the latest Simpsons Treehouse of Horror haha! I tend to like and make an effort with all holidays. Can't wait to have kids of my own to do stuff with haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Yes!

Its of Irish origin, has a huge tradition, is refreshingly pagan, you can dress up as a ghoul and get drunk, throw eggs and get egged, fireworks, chocolate, horror movies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Nope. Not a fan at all. I just ignore it and continue the countdown to Christmas. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've only become more of a fan of Halloween in the last 2-3 years. I think it's a good laugh and I like dressing up at work and throwing up a few decorations.

Before that I just seen it as a nuisance that gets in the way of the Christmas build up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I've only become more of a fan of Halloween in the last 2-3 years. I think it's a good laugh and I like dressing up at work and throwing up a few decorations.

Before that I just seen it as a nuisance that gets in the way of the Christmas build up.

I'm coming around to this way of thinking as well, it used to annoy me as it used to take up spaces in shops that could be used for Christmas hahaha!

I love watching spooky documentaries and horror films around Halloween as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭liamo22

I was never really a fan of Halloween and I always seen it as the last hurdle in the way of Christmas. But recently I have begun to like it again. I buy a few decorations and watch some of the Halloween specials. It's almost a little excuse to do Christmassy things like put up decorations and watch movies :) but once it is over. I'm full swing into Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I love Halloween, but there are aspects of it I don't like (bangers and fireworks going off days before and frightening the dogs, older kids dressing in pjs and expecting to get sweets when trick or treating ) but overall I love it. For Mr glitz girl it's his favorite holiday of the year :) I have a 6 year old boy who adores all the fuss , decorations at Halloween the creepier the better :D some things I ordered off amazon arrived other day for our Halloween party and he squeeled with delight! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭WittyNameForMe

I love love love Halloween. It has become a big production now for me. I have collected things over the years, and just added more each year. I love all the decorations that are available now. It’s nearly on par now with Christmas when it comes to decorating for me. I would have loved all that stuff when I was a kid, I loved Halloween even then, when there was no decorations or lights and Halloween was just about throwing on a plastic mask and a black bag as a costume and going door to door to ‘help the Halloween party’. There was no such thing as getting sweets it was monkey nuts and the odd apple if you where lucky. So I have to admit I go all out for Halloween ever year. Then as soon as Halloween is over it is completely operation Christmas all the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

I love it, what with the clocks going back, nights drawing in, the lovely smokey scent in the air. Plus I get to carve my pumpkins. I usually do 2, one for outside the front door, the other for our living room. I'm planning on trying one of the 3d type carvings this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Mindfulness

Now that I have a child old enough for trick or treating, I love it. I love carving pumpkins (making sure to use the insides for pumpkin soup!) and setting the pumpkin outside to let trick-or-treaters know that they are welcome :). I'm also thinking about buying Hallowe'en decorations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

scream wrote: »
    I'm planning on trying one of the 3d type carvings this year.
    I had to google what you meant by a 3D pumpkin carving.
    Dear Jesus!! Some of them are amazing! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Hate it :( it just gets in the way of Christmas.
    In saying that if it was ever got rid of I would miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Apples or nuts!

Or the kitten gets it...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I love Halloween and always have done.
    A lot of it may be down to the fact my birthday is the 29th of October though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I am not into it at all, I've no problem eating my god sons goodies though from his trick or treating

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Halloween is awesome. Its a shame though when youve pumpkins carved in the garden and the neighbours across the road have a *uckin* christmas tree up in their window in october.

Advertisement