Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Absolam wrote: »
    Surely from an RCC point of view the Constitution is irrelevant anyway since civil law does not rise to the level of canon law?

Sure isn't that what's troubling the minds of some of our RCC fellow-citizens, the RCC telling the faithful and others that the rights of their fellow-citizens are trumped by it's rules, that Rome-rule is the primary law here? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

I don't agree. The entire genome, the DNA is there right from the moment of inception. The code that makes you is all there (after that it's just nurture, the nature has been done). The only difference between pre birth and post birth is that pre birth requires a womb to help the cells to grow to a certain stage.

But all that information exists before conception as well. Even if this was not the case, your DNA does not define you as a person: if this was not so, we would treat twins as two instances of the same person. This is simply not the case.

It is tempting to pick conception as the beginning of personhood because it has a pleasing neatness to it, but I am afraid it is still more or less an arbitrary point in the human reproductive cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I hate the labels no one is pro death or anti choice

Anti-abortionists are, firstly because they privilige the rights of the not yet living foetus over those of the currently living woman, even when keeping the foetus is potentially fatal or receiving medicine to cure a potentially fatal disease causes the woman to lose the foetus. The fact of the matter is that the foetus (or more often given over 90% of abortions happen in the first trimester the embryo) is not yet alive, it simply has the potential for life and therefore it's rights shouldn't be privileged over those of the living woman.
    Secondly, they are anti-choice because they do not want to allow a choice in these matters, the only option they want on the table for pregnant women is "suck it up, you got pregnant you hussy now you deliver that baby" regardless of the circumstances of how the woman (or young girl in many cases) got pregnant, nor of her ability take care of the child once it will be born.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

aloyisious wrote: »
    Sure isn't that what's troubling the minds of some of our RCC fellow-citizens, the RCC telling the faithful and others that the rights of their fellow-citizens are trumped by it's rules, that Rome-rule is the primary law here? :D
    I doubt it's troubling their minds; if they believe it they believe it. Just as Muslims believe sharia law transcends civil law. Neither is amenable to debate, so what's the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

not yet living foetus

I think that's the assumption anti abortionists may have an issue with. Everything else is smoke and mirrors. It's just when you consider a life a life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It's just when you consider a life a life

Well, no, because there are lots of situations where the anti-choice people do not consider a fetus a human life.

How many of them think IVF treatment is mass murder? Not many.

So, a lot less than a human life at conception, a bit less at 8 weeks, roughly one human life at viability after 24 weeks (or whenever).

More or less what I think, yet I am pro-choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I think that's the assumption anti abortionists may have an issue with. Everything else is smoke and mirrors. It's just when you consider a life a life
    Unfortunately some organisations only consider it a life when it suits them.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/26/us/colorado-fetus-lawsuit/index.html

I'm not talking about any organisations, nut jobs on both sides of the equation. All I'm saying is that you're average person is neither pro death or anti choice. People just don't believe in murder. If a person believes the unborn is a life at conception, 8 weeks, 3 months, 6 months or full term then that person is against abortion from that time. Religion, domain over a woman's body etc etc are not for most the actual reason for their opinion.

Anti-abortionists are, firstly because they privilige the rights of the not yet living foetus over those of the currently living woman, even when keeping the foetus is potentially fatal or receiving medicine to cure a potentially fatal disease causes the woman to lose the foetus.
    That's only a subset of anti abortionists though?
    The fact of the matter is that the foetus (or more often given over 90% of abortions happen in the first trimester the embryo) is not yet alive, it simply has the potential for life and therefore it's rights shouldn't be privileged over those of the living woman.
    Surely that's an opinion of the matter, not the fact of the matter?
    Secondly, they are anti-choice because they do not want to allow a choice in these matters, the only option they want on the table for pregnant women is "suck it up, you got pregnant you hussy now you deliver that baby" regardless of the circumstances of how the woman (or young girl in many cases) got pregnant, nor of her ability take care of the child once it will be born.
    Again, isn't that a subset of anti abortionists? Maybe even a different subset, or a subset with some members in common?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

I'm not talking about any organisations, nut jobs on both sides of the equation.

Name me a single pro-choice nutjob. Please, because I keep hearing about them, but people clam up the minute I ask to be shown one.

It is clear the anti-abortion side is chock full of them, willing to go as far as murder to force their ideologies on others, but I've never seen the pro-choice side of the argument getting violent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I'm still waiting to hear from all the anti choicers who are atheists as well.

lazygal wrote: »
    Why?

• Moderators Posts: 51,724 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I'm sure Iona have one in cyro next to their token gay guy who doesn't want to be married :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

Name me a single pro-choice nutjob. Please, because I keep hearing about them, but people clam up the minute I ask to be shown one.

It is clear the anti-abortion side is chock full of them, willing to go as far as murder to force their ideologies on others, but I've never seen the pro-choice side of the argument getting violent.

I agree there is more on the anti side but if you look logically at what people on both sides believe its easy to see why. These people think the foetus = a person so abortion = murder. Many are complete sicko nut jobs but a quick google will tell you there are those on both sides.
    Look up dr. gosnell, the bombing of the 40 days for life prayer vigil etc.

Regardless its all irrelevant to the debate which should be when is a life a life and not the pro death anti choice moronic nonsense.

Why?

Well, we're always being told that you don't have to be religious to be anti-choice. I've never met an anti-choice atheist though. It would be nice to know it's not a fib to try make it seem like not only the religious are anti-choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I doubt it's troubling their minds; if they believe it they believe it. Just as Muslims believe sharia law transcends civil law. Neither is amenable to debate, so what's the point?

Umm, I'm not sure if you're suggesting that we debate here whether Pro-side reps should just decline any invite to talk at an Anti-side rep, or maybe sit & thumb-twiddle, on the grounds that a debate was pointless. Should i imagine there is an inference that that is what we are doing here?...... oh, maybe I shouldn't ask that! :eek:

It'd be a novel approach for a TV debate - imagine's the presenter having a meltdown, plus look of stunned realization on the face of the Anti rep. Surely you're not, you cannot be serious? :D

kylith wrote: »
    Well, we're always being told that you don't have to be religious to be anti-choice. I've never met an anti-choice atheist though. It would be nice to know it's not a fib to try make it seem like not only the religious are anti-choice.

i fluctuate between agnostic and atheism would be pro abortion at very early stages and anti after that if any use to you, refuse to debate on terms of anti choice and pro death.

SW wrote: »
    I'm sure Iona have one in cyro next to their token gay guy who doesn't want to be married :P

I remember Breda saying on Marian Finucaine, during her interview on national radio when she also claimed she was being silenced, that non believers send donations to the Iona Institute, which promotes religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

You in your previous post, at the moment of conception there are two cells. You destroy more when you exfoliate.

No. You destroy all cells when you abort. You only destroy a percentage when you exfoliate. You also destroy the DNA. You don't do this when you exfoliate.

A Constitution is no place to attempt to resolve complicated moral and legal issues.
    What is the constitution for?
    It is to protect people from a government with an overall majority enacting crazy legislation that is out of kilter with the citizens,

Therefore it is the place to give the unborn rights if you believe in that is important.

• Advertisement

i fluctuate between agnostic and atheism would be pro abortion at very early stages and anti after that if any use to you, refuse to debate on terms of anti choice and pro death.

Sounds like pro-choice with a time limit to me.

I am atheist / agnostic / non religious and would be against abortion. Not all forms thou. Rape = ok. Fetal abnormality resulting in death = ok. Suicide = ok. Legal on the basis that back street abortions are worse because both woman and child die.

Against, drive by abortion on demand, as a form of contraception, because the child is gay, has asthma, someone more interested in their career etc.

It is better we make it as strict - only in certain cases - form of abortion like we did with divorce.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It is to protect people from a government with an overall majority enacting crazy legislation that is out of kilter with the citizens,

Therefore it is the place to give the unborn rights if you believe in that is important.

But the people organizations that very heavily lobbied this don't reflect what people actually wanted back then and certainly don't reflect what people want now.

Lets look at them shall we

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/why-ireland-became-the-only-country-in-the-democratic-world-to-have-a-constitutional-ban-on-abortion-1.1907610
    the Pro-Life Amendment Campaign (PLAC), was established in January 1981 by 13 organisations: the Congress of Catholic Secondary School Parents’ Associations; the Irish Catholic Doctors’ Guild; the Guild of Catholic Nurses; the Guild of Catholic Pharmacists; the Catholic Young Men’s Society; the St Thomas More Society; the Irish Pro-Life Movement; the National Association of the Ovulation Method (“natural” contraception endorsed by the Catholic church); the Council of Social Concern (COSC); the Irish Responsible Society; the Society for the Protection of Unborn Children; the St Joseph’s Young Priests Society (young Catholic priests, that is); and the Christian Brothers Schools Parents’ Federation.

The call to establish the PLAC was by John O’Reilly, to show you how backward and twisted this man and the organizations he got together lets look at history
    In 1973, he got his daughters, aged 10 and nine, to write to the Irish Family Planning Association in Dublin, posing as adults, enclosing money and asking for condoms and spermicide. He then succeeded in having criminal charges brought against the IFPA.

Of course this backwards view continued to be an issue in Ireland until the early 90's when Virgin Megastores got fined for selling condoms. Fined, for selling condoms. Its laughable now, yet if these people had their way they would have had contraception banned outright if they could have.
    John O’Reilly explicitly regarded a successful anti-abortion amendment as a prelude to action against contraception

That shows just how out of touch these views are, they do not represent the people of Ireland then and they certainly don't know.

Cabaal wrote: »
    But the people organizations that very heavily lobbied this don't reflect what people actually wanted back then and certainly don't reflect what people want now.

Lets look at them shall we

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/why-ireland-became-the-only-country-in-the-democratic-world-to-have-a-constitutional-ban-on-abortion-1.1907610

The call to establish the PLAC was by John O’Reilly, to show you how backward and twisted this man and the organizations he got together lets look at history

Of course this backwards view continued to be an issue in Ireland until the early 90's when Virgin Megastores got fined for selling condoms. Fined, for selling condoms. Its laughable now, yet if these people had their way they would have had contraception banned outright if they could have.

That shows just how out of touch these views are, they do not represent the people of Ireland then and they certainly don't know.

You are going off the point. The idea is the constitution is only amended / changed by referendum. Whereas other legislation is amended to by the government.

So, let's say we have a referendum on gay marriage and it passes. Then Lucidena Crieghton comes in with an overall majority she can't change that and take away their rights without another referendum.

A lot of the constitution is out of date and irrelevant but some of it is still important.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So, let's say we have a referendum on gay marriage and it passes. Then Lucidena Crieghton comes in with an overall majority she can't change that and take away their rights without another referendum.

Think you'll find any pro-choice person you speak to is more then happy to put this matter to a vote, I've not met so many anti-choice people that are so welcoming of putting it to a vote though.

Only thing stopping it going to a vote is political party's kicking the can down the road each time. Just like what happened with marriage equality.,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Rape = ok.
    That could maybe have been phrased a tad better...
    Legal on the basis that back street abortions are worse because both woman and child die.
    And you think that only in the cases you mention are back-street/pills off t'internet abortions likely?
    Against, drive by abortion on demand, as a form of contraception, because the child is gay, has asthma, someone more interested in their career etc.

It is better we make it as strict - only in certain cases - form of abortion like we did with divorce.
    You're setting out two almost caricatured extremes, missing out everything in the middle (such as "on grounds of mother's health" being the big 'un), and proposing the model that the state micromanage what "choices" are allowed. That's going to be a particular legal nightmare if you intend to embed said tweaking in the constitution.

I am atheist / agnostic / non religious and would be against abortion. Not all forms thou. Rape = ok. Fetal abnormality resulting in death = ok. Suicide = ok. Legal on the basis that back street abortions are worse because both woman and child die.

What's a drive by abortion? Why do some women have to remain pregnant against their wishes because of different conception circumstances?.

No. You destroy all cells when you abort. You only destroy a percentage when you exfoliate. You also destroy the DNA. You don't do this when you exfoliate.

By this sort of back-of-cereal-packet philosophy, if you shoot one of two living adult identical twins, you're not "really" committing murder.

I remember Breda saying on Marian Finucaine, during her interview on national radio when she also claimed she was being silenced, that non believers send donations to the Iona Institute, which promotes religion.

BO'B's idea of "being silenced" is "my megaphone's not as big as in my rose-tinted notion of the 'good old days'."

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Think you'll find any pro-choice person you speak to is more then happy to put this matter to a vote, I've not met so many anti-choice people that are so welcoming of putting it to a vote though.

Only thing stopping it going to a vote is political party's kicking the can down the road each time. Just like what happened with marriage equality.,

I would be anti some choices but happy enough to see a referendum
    lazygal wrote:
    What's a drive by abortion? Why do some women have to remain pregnant against their wishes because of different conception circumstances?.
    Something getting pregnant not giving a sh8t, getting an abortion and not giving a sh*t either.
    Why do some women have to remain pregnant against their wishes because of different conception circumstances?.
    In some cases women have to have abortions and it might be against their wishes. Some Indian women who are performing surrogacy for Irish people have triplets and they abort one.

Why do they have three? Well they fertilize up to three eggs in the hope that at least one becomes healthy and develops not because they want three children. Then abort one later in the pregnancy because they don't want three kids.

Crazy stuff.

I believe the fetus is more than just a bunch of cells. Just like many people including me - and I am sure you - believe a baby is a human.

There are many couples who can't conceive. They cannot even get to the point where the sperm and egg conceive and form a zygote no matter how hard they try. That moment is something special and should be regarded as such.

Also, the DNA from that moment is formed. The personality, the physical make up, you name it is all there in the plan. It just requires for the womb (or a womb before it can continue on its own).

That's the only difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement