Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why all those ALS Ice Bucket Challenge videos matter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

they dont matter. end of. just ****in donate and dont buy into the social media ****e.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

copeyhagen wrote: »
    they dont matter. end of. just ****in donate and dont buy into the social media ****e.
    It is the social media aspect that spreads the word just like advertising. Without the ice bucket thingy noone would have donated. They are easy enough to ignore if people aren't interested in them

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My best friend's mam died a horrible death from motor neuron. Anything that raises funds and awareness is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, you can have some fun with it if you want. Here's Geddy Lee of the band Rush, for example:

If only Lou Gehrig was still around to see this ... someone would probably nominate him, too.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

It's raised an extra $23 Million give or take (all sorts of numbers reported) on previous years, not alot (pennys really) with the names involved. Some are counting pledges which probably won't even materialise.

As for awareness, don't see what addition that is,

Sam - "What is it?"
    Mary - "Don't know, stops ya moving or something"

Forgotten about next month.

With it's rarity, only 30,000 in America, no Big Company is gonna put the Billion or so needed to find a cure into it. ALS Foundation put less than 30% of the $19 million they received last year into actual research, they spent more on raising awareness ffs.

This while the Gov passed some law to take funds away from organisations like them so they could prop themselves up/avoid bankruptcy...and even worse, the same guys in Gov have videos up doing the challenge.

Will the CEO and the rest get nice bumps in Salarys now.... it'd put ya in bad mood thinking about the stupidity of it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

The problem with these social media fads is that they are here today and gone tomorrow, I couldn't remember what the no make up thing was about a few months back. There's no sustainability and a lot of it is celeb showboating. I disagree that it's easy to ignore, it's everywhere on the internet. It actually puts me off, if you're going to donate sustainably I suggest Plan Ireland where for 22 euro a month you get a targeted specific donation.

The problem with these social media fads is that they are here today and gone tomorrow, I couldn't remember what the no make up thing was about a few months back.
    No-makeup selfies raise £8m for Cancer Research UK in six days
    will let it carry out 10 more clinical trials

See it to believe it.

See it to believe it.

Yes great nobody is disputing that it's raising money, my point was that the money raised won't be there next year or the year after and now charities will be forced to compete against each other to come up with the latest fad being the winner and they will get the money instead of the causes with the most need.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Maybe that money means that this year will find the cure. More luck to them.

Maybe that money means that this year will find the cure. More luck to them.

Again you're missing my point, I think my 400 euro this and next year to Plan is a much better idea rather than the 4 euro that you would have donated to each of the Facebook fads so far. Here's an experiment, ask a group of people next year what charity the ice bucket challenge was for and see how many can remember without Google or Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The problem with these social media fads is that they are here today and gone tomorrow, I couldn't remember what the no make up thing was about a few months back. There's no sustainability and a lot of it is celeb showboating. I disagree that it's easy to ignore, it's everywhere on the internet. It actually puts me off, if you're going to donate sustainably I suggest Plan Ireland where for 22 euro a month you get a targeted specific donation.
    Theres less sustainability in not doing it at all. They'd be were they were last year minus the extra 20 or so million this has raised.

Again you're missing my point, I think my 400 euro this and next year to Plan is a much better idea rather than the 4 euro that you would have donated to each of the Facebook fads so far. Here's an experiment, ask a group of people next year what charity the ice bucket challenge was for and see how many can remember without Google or Facebook.

Yes but now the charities have you 400 plus a cash injection of 20 million they wouldn't have otherwise.

Here's the best one,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Theres less sustainability in not doing it at all. They'd be were they were last year minus the extra 20 or so million this has raised.

That's a crazy statement, ever hear of stamp duty around 2007? The charities themselves acknowledge that monthly direct debits are the best way for them to plan so that's what I'll stick to no matter what the latest facebook fad is.

Yes but now the charities have you 400 plus a cash injection of 20 million they wouldn't have otherwise.

One charity has a lot of extra cash that they won't have coming in next year.

That's a crazy statement, ever hear of stamp duty around 2007? The charities themselves acknowledge that monthly direct debits are the best way for them to plan so that's what I'll stick to no matter what the latest facebook fad is.

Ever hear of most people not taking out direct debits for charities?

Do you honestly think if a charity has a choice between just having their normal income and getting a cash injection of 20m they will say "no thanks, dont give us the 20m cos we most likely wont get it next year?

One charity has a lot of extra cash that they won't have coming in next year.

Yes, and? are they better off without all that extra cash this year:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

My personal favourite........
    "Get some ice":D

http://bcove.me/ds3661y2

Ice Bucket setting Dude on Fire

Rubble Bucket challenge for people in Gaza cuz they have no water or ice since they've been blown to bits (Time to rebuild now and in a few years blow it all up again, yeeee:rolleyes:)

1087179.jpg

http://www.dazeddigital.com/artsandculture/article/21389/1/no-ice-gaza-is-doing-the-rubble-bucket-challenge

• Advertisement

Ever hear of most people not taking out direct debits for charities?

Do you honestly think if a charity has a choice between just having their normal income and getting a cash injection of 20m they will say "no thanks, dont give us the 20m cos we most likely wont get it next year?

Yes, and? are they better off without all that extra cash this year:confused:

You're right, I'll just follow the rest of the sheep, look X-Factor starting soon - yippee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You're right, I'll just follow the rest of the sheep, look X-Factor starting soon - yippee.

I think thats your real problem, not wanting to be seen as a sheep. You're bizarrely putting the Ice Bucket Challenge in the same bracket as X-Factor, because lots of people are doing it

If you stand back and weigh up the whole phenomenon, and don't come to the conclusion that it has been something positive, I think you are mad

I think thats your real problem, not wanting to be seen as a sheep. You're bizarrely putting the Ice Bucket Challenge in the same bracket as X-Factor, because lots of people are doing it

If you stand back and weigh up the whole phenomenon, and don't come to the conclusion that it has been something positive, I think you are mad

So sustainability and planning are mad? I'd be quite happy if more people gave to charities regularly like I do. It's not a phenomenon, it's a fad that will be forgotten as quickly as it came about and charities are now forced to come up with gimmicks instead of causes to raise funds. I think that's crazy.

By the way I've asked people to show me their text donating the money that have been drowning themselves on Facebook and quite a few of them hadn't gotten around to it yet.

I wonder how much in Donations they wasted trying to trade mark "Ice Bucket Challenge", so no other charity could use it, even though it was used on other charities before theirs. Shower of *****.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140827/17325528346/als-association-tries-to-trademark-ice-bucket-challenge-despite-having-nothing-to-do-with-it-originally.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

The logic that some people on this thread use means that any fundraising efforts should be abandoned as they aren't worth anything. So are you saying that people shouldn't throw a benefit night once a in a blue moon because the charity can't count on it the following year? The logic is ridiculous.

What the charity does with the money is a totally different matter.

The logic that some people on this thread use means that any fundraising efforts should be abandoned as they aren't worth anything. So are you saying that people shouldn't throw a benefit night once a in a blue moon because the charity can't count on it the following year? The logic is ridiculous.

What the charity does with the money is a totally different matter.

Who said that ffs? The point I'm trying to get across is that a sustainable income makes it easier for the charity to plan its spending, if that's doesn't make sense then I give up.

By the way I gave two euro to a guy outside Aldi yesterday, maybe I should have made a video of it and posted on social media.

So sustainability and planning are mad? I'd be quite happy if more people gave to charities regularly like I do. It's not a phenomenon, it's a fad that will be forgotten as quickly as it came about and charities are now forced to come up with gimmicks instead of causes to raise funds. I think that's crazy.

By the way I've asked people to show me their text donating the money that have been drowning themselves on Facebook and quite a few of them hadn't gotten around to it yet.

Ed, you said it yourself...how is the Ice Bucket Challenge any different to any other unplanned and unrepeated charity fundraising event? That was my point. There's plenty of people who take a notion to do something for charity, such as climb a mountain, cut off all their hair, sell stuff they don't want anymore. These things are once off fundraising...I ask you again, should they not bother because they're not going to do it again next year?

^^ That's just crazy talk, you directly quote me saying what I've said all along on this thread that I and the charities would be happier if more people gave regularly and you twist that to somehow mean that all other fund raising is a waste of time. Sorry can't debate a point with someone with that sort of logic.

My point remains the same, giving regularly preferably by direct debit is the best way of helping a charity. A sustainable flow of income allows for better long term planning rather than once off fads. This simply makes sense. But I'm sure your two euro will go a long way to sustaining the 6 figure salaries of the ALS top execs.

Well then why give out about this fundraising activity? Why make people who took part feel bad for taking part, that what they did isn't as important as giving regularly? Believe it or not, not all of us have the funds to give all the time so if we feel spurred on to part with a couple of euro for a fundraising activity - yes it turned out to be much larger than someone who climbs a mountain or has a benefit night - then what exactly is the problem.

And that comment on my 2euro funding 6 figure salaries, what do you think your substantially larger contribution to your charity is funding? Stop being hypocritical.

• Advertisement
Advertisement