Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anenome?

Options
  • 20-07-2014 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone had an idea what is in the pic here. There area few of them on the rocks near the wall at Ardmore.

315265.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

I'm only seeing loooooads of barnacles, some seaweed and the off limpet in that pic.
    Anemones are soft little wine-coloured blobs. They're really common and once you see one of them you'll start to see them everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Im talking about the black concentric rings at the bottom of the hole that the barnacles and seaweed are on

That's just the ripple pattern in the rock I guess.
    These are the anemones we get in Ireland: http://www.planetseafishing.com/images/content/tutorials/386/fishing-bait-parp-sea-anemone-0001__large-body.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

mordeith wrote: »
    Im talking about the black concentric rings at the bottom of the hole that the barnacles and seaweed are on

I was wondering was that what you meant.
    aidoh wrote: »
    That's just the ripple pattern in the rock I guess.
    These are the anemones we get in Ireland: http://www.planetseafishing.com/images/content/tutorials/386/fishing-bait-parp-sea-anemone-0001__large-body.jpg

I agree, that is probably just a pattern on the rock. It certainly isn't an anemone, anyway.

I agree, that is probably just a pattern on the rock. It certainly isn't an anemone, anyway.

The thing is this isn't the only one on that part of the shore. There are at least five of these holes with the similar black formation. The holes they were in varied in size, depth and shape so I don't belive they are man-made. Whatever the black formation is it appears to have made the hole in the surrounding lighter coloured rock.

• Advertisement

My guess would be that it's the pattern left in the rock from either how it was formed or how it's eroded by the water as the rock pool fills up and empties. I'd say people in the geography or palaeontology forums might have an idea what it is.
    It looks like basalt to me but I'm not really up to scratch at all when it comes to geology.
    It's really cool looking anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

mordeith wrote: »
    The thing is this isn't the only one on that part of the shore. There are at least five of these holes with the similar black formation. The holes they were in varied in size, depth and shape so I don't belive they are man-made. Whatever the black formation is it appears to have made the hole in the surrounding lighter coloured rock.

Yes, but an anemone is small and squidgy. What you photographed is a foot in diameter and is made of rock.

Yes, but an anemone is small and squidgy. What you photographed is a foot in diameter and is made of rock.

Fair point.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Moved this from Zoology to Geography as it's more a geology question and there's no geology forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CmacI

hi - it might be the remains of a fossil sand volcanoe?

• Advertisement
Advertisement