Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court Summons Delivery Question

Options
  • 22-08-2014 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I just moved to Scotland. I got a phone call that the guards were at my house in Ireland, and my mother told me there was a summons delivered through the post about a motoring offence in April.

The summons was delivered through the post box, and noone officially received it, nor signed for it.

Is this a legal delivery?

The reason I've put two and two together is that they proceeded to drive up my road and ask neighbours about my whereabouts. I thought this was odd, seeing as it was a minor driving offence?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Doesnt have to be registered post. Sounds like the Garadi were serving a summons or a warrant

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭theenergy

ring up the local cop shop and ask them outstraight

face up to it...

trust me!!! a whole lot better in the long run... speaking from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gentleman88

I called and was told that the relevant officers would call me back in relation to it. I mean, it doesn't make sense for me to chase them up so they can put me through legal proceedings surely?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I called and was told that the relevant officers would call me back in relation to it. I mean, it doesn't make sense for me to chase them up so they can put me through legal proceedings surely?

I suppose a conviction in your absence doesnt matter as long as you are in Scotland. it'll never come back to bite you

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gentleman88

godtabh wrote: »
    I suppose a conviction in your absence doesnt matter as long as you are in Scotland. it'll never come back to bite you

Aha, I sense a smattering of sarcasm. :) I'm probably going to receive a call this evening, so I hope to clear things up, but I just wonder how legal their delivery was. Also, I didn't like finding out via neighbours calling wondering what they were doing around. You'd like to think they would be less clumsy with information. Thanks for your time though guys!

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

It might be worth a call or a flight. These things need to be dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Is this a legal delivery?

Get your mother to drop the summons into a good local District Court Practitioner, to check whether there has been a defect in service. You should be able to communicate with the solicitor via email/phone while this is checked out.

http://www.courts.ie/rules.nsf/0c609d7abff72c1c80256d2b0045bb64/232ac051a1832bfe80257c900044b452?OpenDocument

Advertisement