Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College/Tuition fee's

Options
  • 22-07-2014 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I failed a repeat for first year and decided to take a year out and not go back to the course I failed. Now in September I will start a new course in Carlow I.T but I'm told I will have to pay extra fee's because I'm doing first year again. Tuition fees I believe there called. Can someone please help me on how much I will have to pay on top of the normal fees and is there anyway around paying the fees as I will find it impossible to come up with the money as money is an issue, I had only budgeted for the normal fees of 2500 and I am not eligible for the grant as I already attended first year. Is there any help out there for my case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

Jackl123 wrote: »
    I failed a repeat for first year and decided to take a year out and not go back to the course I failed. Now in September I will start a new course in Carlow I.T but I'm told I will have to pay extra fee's because I'm doing first year again. Tuition fees I believe there called. Can someone please help me on how much I will have to pay on top of the normal fees and is there anyway around paying the fees as I will find it impossible to come up with the money as money is an issue, I had only budgeted for the normal fees of 2500 and I am not eligible for the grant as I already attended first year. Is there any help out there for my case?

I answered this question a few weeks ago so i just pasted my previous answer for you:
    The government pay for your tuition fees which is around €5,000 and you pay the other €2,000. If you change course after first year you have to pay the tuition fees for first year in the next course. A girl in my class changed course this year and had to pay €7,000 in fees

* Edit * I checked on citizen information and fees this september are now €2,750

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

You'll have to pay up, I'm afraid.

A bunch of people on my PLC are doing it because they dropped out of courses in first year, because the course I'm on advances you into second year at a certain college (hence they just pay PLC fees instead of €7000+). If there's nothing like that near you, it'll have to be a loan.

Try CU or AIB, they have good Student products.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just a question on this. I'm going in to my second year in my course. I've been in college previously elsewhere prior to this course and paid the tuition and registration fees last year which I knew about going in.

I was told that it would only be for 1st year that I would have to pay for tuition fees on top of the normal registration fees but I've just received a bank giro from the college and says I have to pay both fees again?!?

Tried ringing college but to no avail.

I have budgeted for the allocated €2,750 but an extra €1,100 or so will really put me in all sorts of financial pressure.

Any guidance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

That_Guy wrote: »
    Just a question on this. I'm going in to my second year in my course. I've been in college previously elsewhere prior to this course and paid the tuition and registration fees last year which I knew about going in.

I was told that it would only be for 1st year that I would have to pay for tuition fees on top of the normal registration fees but I've just received a bank giro from the college and says I have to pay both fees again?!?

Tried ringing college but to no avail.

I have budgeted for the allocated €2,750 but an extra €1,100 or so will really put me in all sorts of financial pressure.

Any guidance?
    How many years of the previous course did you do? If you only did first year in your first time in college its a mistake but if you did second year etc you'll have to pay tuition fees for second year as well

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

How many years of the previous course did you do? If you only did first year in your first time in college its a mistake but if you did second year etc you'll have to pay tuition fees for second year as well

Just the first year. Waiting to hear back from the college now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement