Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Dont forget the free travel ;)

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Indeed. Comments like that come from the mouths of the ignorant who believe the Mail and the Indo are credible news sources.

You could add Boards.ie to that list of credible news sources :).

Also apparently Joe Duffy works for IR. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Indeed. Comments like that come from the mouths of the ignorant who believe the Mail and the Indo are credible news sources.

What are you on about?

Sure, i'm living it up on my slightly-over-average-wage income from working 48 hours a week including evenings, weekends, bank holidays etc.

All us Irish Rail workers are on the proverbial gravy train.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cervelo1981

What are you on about?

Sure, i'm living it up on my slightly-over-average-wage income from working 48 hours a week including evenings, weekends, bank holidays etc.

There is no way you have ever worked 48hrs in a working week pull the other one most of the jobs you don't drive more than 40hrs a week. I'd say you work on averge 36-38 maz per week.

What are you on about?

There is no way you have ever worked 48hrs in a working week pull the other one most of the jobs you don't drive more than 40hrs a week. I'd say you work on averge 36-38 maX per week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

do you think a train drivers job only consists of driving trains?

There is no way you have ever worked 48hrs in a working week pull the other one most of the jobs you don't drive more than 40hrs a week. I'd say you work on averge 36-38 maX per week.

I'm not a driver but don't let that get in the way of your rant.

I'm not a driver but don't let that get in the way of your rant.

Driver, guard, depotperson, whatever there is no way you work 48hrs no matter what traffic grade you are. It's not a rant I am speaking facts here.

corktina wrote: »
    do you think a train drivers job only consists of driving trains?

No 90% is driving the other 10% is on refreshers and training days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Driver, guard, depotperson, whatever there is no way you work 48hrs no matter what traffic grade you are. It's not a rant I am speaking facts here.

Actually people DO work 48hr weeks I mean these stations dont run themselves. But please continue spouting nonsense with no 1st hand experince of the job your talking about.

• Advertisement

Where's your proof?

If they are facts then where is your proof?

Infini2 wrote: »
    Actually people DO work 48hr weeks I mean these stations dont run themselves. But please continue spouting nonsense with no 1st hand experince of the job your talking about.

Please why don't you give me an example?

You're the one making baseless claims. The burden of proof is on you.

Got anything other than "dem railway lads do nuthin all day but drink tae and they get paid a hape"?

Where's your proof?

You and I both know that is the truth.

You and I both know that is the truth.

Truths generally have proof.

Can I see yours please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Staff normally work from 5.30 to 1500 and 1500 too 00.30 on average on a 5/7 roster over 2 weeks or 3 weeks with a spare day for cover That can be on either shift whichever is shorthanded. Regardless people work long days and nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I mentioned earlier in the thread about poor IE customer service......I had yet another example when travelling to Sligo last week.

One of the great advantages of the train is that it allows you to work properly while on the move so I'm a big fan of it - but what happened last week happens all too often.....

......book and pay for the ticket online (decent enough website) and make the crucial seat reservation.

Saunter down to the train (nice train as they all are now) - board and find someone in 'my' seat. Politely explain I have a reservation and that the seat they are in is the one I've booked (the LCD display over the seat is blank - not sure I've ever seen them work).

The 'squatter' suggests I sit somewhere else and I explain I'd like to use to the table for work - not that I feel I should have to explain......

Then they suggest I sit on the aisle seat -again, I find it easier to work if I'm not on the aisle getting bumped by fellow passengers moving about.

At this point the conductor came along (not checking tickets) and I showed him my ticket and explained the situation - his response is to point to another seat and tell me to sit there!

I mean......if they are not going to honour the reservations why offer the service in first place?

I'd say I travel on the Sligo and Cork routes about 4/5 times every 6 weeks and this happens on about 30% of trips.

they may not look as if they are working but the trains won't run without them even if it looks as if they are just sitting around. Railway work was always like that.

Jawgap wrote: »
    I mentioned earlier in the thread about poor IE customer service......I had yet another example when travelling to Sligo last week.

One of the great advantages of the train is that it allows you to work properly while on the move so I'm a big fan of it - but what happened last week happens all too often.....

......book and pay for the ticket online (decent enough website) and make the crucial seat reservation.

Saunter down to the train (nice train as they all are now) - board and find someone in 'my' seat. Politely explain I have a reservation and that the seat they are in is the one I've booked (the LCD display over the seat is blank - not sure I've ever seen them work).

The 'squatter' suggests I sit somewhere else and I explain I'd like to use to the table for work - not that I feel I should have to explain......

Then they suggest I sit on the aisle seat -again, I find it easier to work if I'm not on the aisle getting bumped by fellow passengers moving about.

At this point the conductor came along (not checking tickets) and I showed him my ticket and explained the situation - his response is to point to another seat and tell me to sit there!

I mean......if they are not going to honour the reservations why offer the service in first place?

I'd say I travel on the Sligo and Cork routes about 4/5 times every 6 weeks and this happens on about 30% of trips.

..and you sit in the other seat and 2 minutes later a guy comes up and says you are in his seat...and so it snowballs. IEs reservation system is pants

I pointed out to a chap that the seat he was in was reserved and pointed to the name above the seat , his response was "That doesnt say reserved" and mumbled a bit of abuse :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

..and you sit in the other seat and 2 minutes later a guy comes up and says you are in his seat...and so it snowballs. IEs reservation system is pants

Its because of the cut in subsidy. Oh wait....its due to the free travel pass.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I don't think the system is pants - but the willingness to 'enforce' it is not there.

It would help, at least, if the LCD screens worked. I wouldn't blame someone for taking a seat if there was no indication it was reserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no your not and yes it is, there is no guards any more

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

it's pants if the screens don't work

No 90% is driving the other 10% is on refreshers and training days.
    good, those who drive a train need to be trippley more compitent then any other driver, same as a pilot and so on.

Where's your proof?

a driver in heuston told him lol

Jawgap wrote: »

i'm with you on this one, this has been going on for ages, no excuse at this stage (infact there never was) once the trains got settled in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You're the one making baseless claims. The burden of proof is on you.

Got anything other than "dem railway lads do nuthin all day but drink tae and they get paid a hape"?

If you are ever waiting for a bus or train in Wexford station you will see two or three staff sitting in the station office guarding the toilets. it is not their fault they have no work to do but some arrangement should be in place to staff the place only when required using part-time staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

no your not and yes it is, there is no guards any more

still guards on the enterprise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

still guards on the enterprise

Train hosts, not Guards.

Advertisement