Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Yama

I heard somewhere that 5 bikes were taken around westmoreland st. in half an hour by a guy with an angle grinder, presumably battery powered. It was a while ago. Passerby tried saying something and was told to f*ck off. If they want it, they'll take it. With the spec of bikes around now they must be sending containers or vanfulls to UK and selling at decent price, not just toe rags robbing any old bike for 50 quid. Bike stands full of bikes barely locked but they go for the good ones with top locks. I see loads of these Kryptonite or similar u-lock and cable combos, I think they are waste of time once the u-lock is broken it's gone. Mine had separate Kryptonite cable type locking to bike stand, with no leverage and small u-lock locking front wheel to frame. Doubt they broke both and just did the cable and carried the bike off or threw it in a van. I reckon best you can do is have two really good different type locks, both locking bike tight to bike stand and hope they only have the gear with them to break one type or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Simon_K

If youre always leaving the bike in the same place, you could leave the lock there. I see people doing that all the time.

I would probably say don't leave in it in same place all the time if its decent, gives them time to suss out the locks, and come back with the right gear to break them. Or tamper with the locks when its quiet? Paranoia!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yama wrote: »
    I heard somewhere that 5 bikes were taken around westmoreland st. in half an hour by a guy with an angle grinder, presumably battery powered.

Had to be battery powered, a decent petrol one would go through any lock including the infamous Almax ones mentioned in under a minute. Thats why your lock is not the only important thing. Two looks equal double the time. Ones that leave no space stop bottle jacks, ones off the ground mean it is more tiring to use the angle grinder and far more difficult. Key openings should face downwards if possible to make them awkward to attack. Your bike cannot be left in a place that there is time to work on it in private, moderately busy throughfare is best, too busy and people stop giving a sh1t, too quiet and the thief can take his time to get the best return. Lock the bike in two place as far away from each other as possible to stop the frame being used to lever it. If you have good locks it won't work for them anyway but they will dent your frame trying.

There is also the realisation that people are just *****. My first bike bought with my own money had an attempt made on it. They didn't get through the locks but they stole the seatpost and cut the brake cables. The reason for this is so that you won't take it immediately and they can come back later at night. I had to work so I couldn't take it as I had no time to run with it. I came back to see they had not managed to break my locks but they had taken the time to drive a sledgehammer into the top tube when they failed cutting through the locks.

I would have almost been happier if it had been stolen.

Over ten years later and I am still bitter beyond reason.

That's my third!
    What's beyond bitter beyond reason?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yama wrote: »
    That's my third!
    What's beyond bitter beyond reason?

Over 10 years later and if time travel ever comes to fruition I would find those scrotes and cave in their faces with my bare hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 2ewy5p8tn9lvh1

Hi my 2014 Kuota Kharma Evo was stolen yesterday from my garage in the Dunboyne area. It was red/white/black with 50mm mavic cosmics. A black/red Trek Madone 3.1 and a blue/black Carrera Virtuoso were also stolen. Both of which had name tags on them reading Michael lyne on the trek and jack lyne on the Carrera. If anyone can provide any further information id be very appreciative.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Very sorry to hear that, becoming all to common. Will keep an eye out.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hi my 2014 Kuota Kharma Evo was stolen yesterday from my garage in the Dunboyne area.
    Moved from Cycling Adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

My custom built Raleigh racer was stolen from outside my friends house in Blackpitts around 9:30pm last night. Looks the same as pictured except it has white handlebar grips now.

PmHs7Twl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Has anyone ever sent this thread to any politicians or Garda commissioners, liveline? It's bloody shocking how prevalent bike theft has become.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I wouldn't waste your time with Liveline, it will be turned into an anti cyclist segment.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Deedsie wrote: »
    Has anyone ever sent this thread to any politicians or Garda commissioners, liveline? It's bloody shocking how prevalent bike theft has become.
    We've had one or two suggesting it, but no-one actually seems that bothered to actually do it ...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Hi all a neighbour had their house broken into last night and a few bikes were robbed. One is kind of unique as it's a pink camouflage version qr cd0.1.
    Just wondering where I should keep my eye out if it goes for sale?
    Any help is hugely appreciated as the owner of the bike is due to do an iron man event abroad to raise funds for their autistic child in a few weeks.

https://www.google.com/search?q=qr+cd0.1+pink+camouflage&client=ms-android-samsung&source=android-browser&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=8-vxU6a3FOfy7AarkoD4Bg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=360&bih=592&dpr=3#facrc=_&imgrc=ipDybb5AaYSuOM%3A;dSnpBUo4zNQbwM;http%3A%2F%2Fwww.quintanarootri.com%2Fimages%2Fcd0.1%2520Ultegra%2520Women.png;http%3A%2F%2Fwww.quintanarootri.com%2F_bike.asp%3Fcontent%3Dcd0.1%2520Ultegra%2520Women;597;431

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Hi all a neighbour had their house broken into last night and a few bikes were robbed. One is kind of unique as it's a pink camouflage version qr cd0.1.
    Just wondering where I should keep my eye out if it goes for sale?
    Any help is hugely appreciated as the owner of the bike is due to do an iron man event abroad to raise funds for their autistic child in a few weeks.

Link not working - you need to share the actual link of the page, not the Google search link to the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

Hi my 2014 Kuota Kharma Evo was stolen yesterday from my garage in the Dunboyne area. It was red/white/black with 50mm mavic cosmics. A black/red Trek Madone 3.1 and a blue/black Carrera Virtuoso were also stolen. Both of which had name tags on them reading Michael lyne on the trek and jack lyne on the Carrera. If anyone can provide any further information id be very appreciative.
    Thanks

That's a tough loss, very nice bikes. Hopefully you have some luck. Was there many taken in the area or just your bikes? I live not too far from there and cycle that way frequently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm posting this for a friend in work.. Her home was burgled and her bike stolen.

Its a Quintana Roo CD0.1. A state of the art triathlon bike which is pink dpm (Disruptive Pattern Material ~ Camo) in colour.

From facebook;
    We woke up this morning to a burgled house this morning. So much has been taken. I'm in tears. They stole 2 of my bikes including 'Killer'. Those if you who know me will understand how much I love that bike. They also took my road bike. I'm supposed to be taking part in Ironman Wales next month to raise money for an Autistic unit that Tiernan will attend this year. If anyone is asked if they want to buy this bike please inform the Guards straight away. I have the serial number and it's the only bike of its kind in the country. They'll find it hard to sell as not many men will ride a pink bike and I'm 6ft 1 so it won't fit many women either.

318914.jpg

318915.jpg

318917.jpg

The owner is an old work mate of mine and not a member of boards.ie but I'd greatly appreciate a heads up via PM if anyone see's this on the usual online sources.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

I'm posting this for a friend in work.. Her home was burgled and her bike stolen.

According to her facebook status, both bikes have been recovered.
    I want to thank absolutely everyone who shared my posts regarding my two stolen bikes. It is with great pleasure that I can tell you all today that my two bikes were returned to me late last night. I was humbled by the amount of messages I received and the offer of bikes from people I don't know. The triathlon community, the autism community and the military community are very powerful forces when combined. I want to especially thank Susan Wall who used her twitter magic and again absolutely EVERYONE who either retweeted and shared my post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How were the military involved?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Thargor wrote: »

She is in the milatary I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

thats 3 good news stories in regards stolen bikes in the last couple of days, this and the ones on independent.ie

result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Bloggsie wrote: »
    thats 3 good news stories in regards stolen bikes in the last couple of days, this and the ones on independent.ie

result.

I can give you another one...

I reported our 2 bikes stolen last month. One was sold on Done Deal but the other one never surfaced online.
    We came home on Saturday to a note on our apartment block door saying could the owner of the stolen bikes please ring this number....so we rang and it turns out a bloke who lives across the road actually saw the theft occur. His apartment overlooks our car park where the bike rack is.

He said two young fellas had both bikes but could only fit one in the car, so they stashed one behind a bush across the road - presumably to return later and collect it. This is at 11am on Monday morning by the way.

Our bloke then ran out and grabbed the bike and brought it in to his apartment. He left a post-it on the apartment door for us but it must have blown away. He was leaving an hour later to go home to Poland for the month so he just left the bike in his which is why it took so long to get in touch.

We were extremely grateful. There was a bit of risk grabbing the stashed bike and he could have also sold it or kept for his own gain. Very nice guy so we're semi-happy with the bike situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

a half a result!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

sebcity wrote: »

I reported our 2 bikes stolen last month. One was sold on Done Deal but the other one never surfaced online.
    We came home on Saturday to a note on our apartment block door saying could the owner of the stolen bikes please ring this number....so we rang and it turns out a bloke who lives across the road actually saw the theft occur. His apartment overlooks our car park where the bike rack is.

He said two young fellas had both bikes but could only fit one in the car, so they stashed one behind a bush across the road - presumably to return later and collect it. This is at 11am on Monday morning by the way.

Our bloke then ran out and grabbed the bike and brought it in to his apartment. He left a post-it on the apartment door for us but it must have blown away. He was leaving an hour later to go home to Poland for the month so he just left the bike in his which is why it took so long to get in touch.

We were extremely grateful. There was a bit of risk grabbing the stashed bike and he could have also sold it or kept for his own gain. Very nice guy so we're semi-happy with the bike situation!
    Half a result indeed, but pure luck that he spotted them. These skangers are operating with impunity it would seem.
    Did he get the car registration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thargor wrote: »

We're both military ~ just helped spread the message about, same as the triathlon and autism communities did ~ no special op's involved :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

sebcity wrote: »

I think this might be more common than people think.

One person does the robbing and stashes the bike then another comes along at a later time/date and collects it.

I'm not sure on the legal side of things but it looks like the crime is being halved.

So if your bike is nicked from your house it mightn't be a bad idea to go for a wander in your neighbourhood to see if it could be stashed anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Deedsie wrote: »

What I'd be keen to know is what the Gardai are doing about bike theft ? Are they being pro active or re-active on the issue ? When a bike theft is reported do they just log the crime and hope it shows up somewhere or do would they even go about getting CCTV recordings and trying to identify the thief ?

That program from the UK about bike theft showed the police using some clever methods, placing GPS chips inside high end bikes and waiting for them to get stolen. Have the Gardai ever attempted a similar approach ?

Also they should really be looking to clamp down on the sellers of these bikes. I'm convinced that this is organised crime at this stage as bike theft has reached epidemic levels.If there's 10 bikes being stolen per day in Dublin with a value of €500 each then the annual value being nicked is some €1.8m. It might be higher than that, I don't know but at those kinda of levels I'd think bike theft in Dublin is largely run by one or two small groups of highly organised criminals. Which means that somewhere in Dublin there is likely one, if not two small warehouses used as clearing shops for stolen bikes.

It really wouldn't take much for the Gardai to find out where these warehouses of stolen bikes are. In fact with GPS chipping technology now cheap and widely available there is really no reason not to employ those tactics and get to the root of the cause.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Half a result indeed, but pure luck that he spotted them. These skangers are operating with impunity it would seem.
    Did he get the car registration?

Unfortunately not.

Don't think much would be done even if he did!

Advertisement