Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Betting style

Options
  • 24-06-2014 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I have been gambling now for a few years on every sport under the sun . Over the years iv had many highs and lows using many different betting techniques.
    I began going to the local bookies for a few hours at weekends throwing €5 and €10 bets on any horse race I fancied with the odd accum thrown in on the football. I lost as much as i won often lost more than I won.
    I Began betting online then for fun this time mainly going for big stake doubles, trebles and accums. Again rare winners but big paydays when the luck was in.
    Finally moving on to lumping on odds on favourites in soccer racing and tennis again I lost as much as I won.
    I consider myself to be a good knack of picking winners but my biggest fault is definitely lack of discipline when it comes to walking away with profit.
    I am keen to know what is every one else's betting techniques that have worked consistently?
    Also what do people consider their biggest weakness when it comes to betting?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

KTS2014 wrote: »
    I have been gambling now for a few years on every sport under the sun . Over the years iv had many highs and lows using many different betting techniques.
    I began going to the local bookies for a few hours at weekends throwing €5 and €10 bets on any horse race I fancied with the odd accum thrown in on the football. I lost as much as i won often lost more than I won.
    I Began betting online then for fun this time mainly going for big stake doubles, trebles and accums. Again rare winners but big paydays when the luck was in.
    Finally moving on to lumping on odds on favourites in soccer racing and tennis again I lost as much as I won.
    I consider myself to be a good knack of picking winners but my biggest fault is definitely lack of discipline when it comes to walking away with profit.
    I am keen to know what is every one else's betting techniques that have worked consistently?
    . Discipline, don't bet every day and wait for something you strongly fancy. Also bankroll management, have a proper roll for gambling. Don't do accums. Of course I do none of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

KTS2014 wrote: »

Yep I'm the exact same as you pal. Started off with small bets but now my average stake would be €20 and one the sports i like the most (Rugby, Rugby League, NFL, GAA) that average stake would be about €50.

Definitely my worst trait is the lack of discipline. When I win money I either invariably stake the profit or withdraw the profit and play with the rest until I lose again and then deposit the profit back in!

I absolutely have to get better with my discipline and have a set bankroll and limit the amount of days that I bet. Another thing I find I do a lot is I might bet on one event twice. For example I might bet on United to win a match but then back both teams to score in the hope that if Unite don't win then the other bet clicks for a minimal loss. Obviously this is not good practice as you only really make profit if both bets come in and if both happen to lose then you lose on the double. One thing I have been doing now is just go with one bet and then either hedge or revaluate my stake in play.

One last thing but betting inplay is probably the way to go long term if you wanted to make cash over a period of time (horse racing aside obv). You can get a much better sense for what the outcome of a game is going to be by say watching the first half and betting at half time. Again though this takes discipline and it is a lot easier to just throw your stakes on willy nilly before the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

People completely overcomplicate betting. Its very simple, you back prices that are bigger than they should be.

Until you can do the job of a compiler, i.e, accurately price up any given match etc, then you wont win money gambling. For you to back something at too big a price, you have to know yourself exactly what the price should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Golfnut77

I start the year with €50 and that's it if I lose it then I don't make another deposit until the following year, every time I win I withdraw 40% of my winnings and keep the remaining 60% in my PP account . Since January I've put just under €1,000 in my bank account and have just over €500 in my PP account.

The main reason I'm up so much this year is that I have stopped betting on golf except for the majors, sticking only to football and the big Horse meets. Last year I bet on both the PGA and European Tour events every week as well as the odd Ladies Tournament, I only had one winner the entire year.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭paddypowder

im a bit of a gambling addict to be honest.

I make a lot of money of hustling chess in real world

but love to bet on everything

seriously though

I was playing blackjack(one of my favorites) over the past few days

started with 60 lost the lot, then deposited another 50 and came away last night with 805

I felt like it was a big "f you" to the bookies but I just went through my history of deposits and withdrawals from 1 june to today and im actually 85euro down

despite feeling like I have a nice little bit of extra cash turns out id have made more by putting it in my pocket for the month(don't quote buffet at me homie).

looking through the books and up until yesterday I was actually 890 euro down and if it wasn't for football betting id be closer to 2grand down

I have 2 massive weaknesses

1 im addicted to gambling!!!!!
    2 I cant quit while im ahead (undisciplined)

even with the blackjack I was talking about, there was time where I was up to 3-400 and should have stopped but lost it all down to literally the last 10 eruo and then stacked it all back up.

when I got the 800, I actually reversed a 650 withdrawal and ended up going down to 50euro before building up to the 8 and withdrawing

My advice is to just take a breather if you can, because if you're up money its only a matter of time before you lose it.
    that's the way the system works otherwise we would all be rich.

online access is a gift and a curse, worst thing in the world when you are bored and you are throwing money away
    best thing during soccer Saturday when its you against the statisticians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Golfnut77 wrote: »
    I start the year with €50 and that's it if I lose it then I don't make another deposit until the following year, every time I win I withdraw 40% of my winnings and keep the remaining 60% in my PP account . Since January I've put just under €1,000 in my bank account and have just over €500 in my PP account.

The main reason I'm up so much this year is that I have stopped betting on golf except for the majors, sticking only to football and the big Horse meets. Last year I bet on both the PGA and European Tour events every week as well as the odd Ladies Tournament, I only had one winner the entire year.

Amazed your account has not been closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    People completely overcomplicate betting. Its very simple, you back prices that are bigger than they should be.

I don't really gamble but surely you don't bet on anything just because the odds are good: you only look at bets that you consider are going to win, then check the odds. If they're good, place the bet, otherwise dont. The odds offered, no matter how good, will not influence the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TheDalioLama

I don't really gamble but surely you don't bet on anything just because the odds are good: you only look at bets that you consider are going to win, then check the odds. If they're good, place the bet, otherwise dont. The odds offered, no matter how good, will not influence the outcome.

Odds are just probabilities. If a price of 2-1 is offered on a certain outcome, the outcome must come in 33% of the time for a punter to breakeven. So if one is confident that in the long run the outcome has a 40% chance of occuring, it's worth backing. This holds true for long shots, short odd prices and everything in between. It really is as simple as Hulk Hands suggests.

My tips would be:

-Bet on sports you have a genuine knowledge of

-Be picky; only select the bets you feel offer the most value. Wait around for weeks if needs be. Don't make throwaway bets just for entertainment (unless you're happy to lose money) e.g. on the premiership just because you watch it every weekend

-Write a set of rules for betting e.g. Bankroll = 100 points. Max 3 points per bet. Stick to it.

-Scour the internet for forums/blogs/news sources and establish which ones offer the most useful info on the market you want to bet on.

-Google 'matched betting', it's a handy way to build a bankroll from bookie bonuses.

-Open multiple accounts to have access to a range of odds on the same market. Use oddschecker/oddsportal to compare. You wouldn't buy something for €10 when you can get it for €8 across the street, same thing applies to betting!

-Be patient and don't expect 200% return on your money. In the investment world, a return of 20% per year is a great return. If you can quietly build towards that figure you're doing well. And over time your roll will grow. Once confident you have good bankroll management and an edge, you can introduce some more capital to your bankroll if you wish.

If you are winning consistently and in danger of becoming limited

- Use an exchange (e.g. Betfair or Betdaq) to back and lay the same outcome. For example: back utd to win at the bookies, and lay utd at the exchange. Sometimes you will win at the bookies and sometimes you will lose, but by laying at the exchange you should cover any losses, no matter the outcome. Paddypower's team for example will not be drawn to you as you will be losing money on their account on a semi-regular basis. Long term profit will be spread across the bookies & the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Why would it be? He only uses one account so is clearly not price sensitive. Bookies really dont care about winners, they care about consistent smart bets where in the long run theyre unlikely to make money. The odd lad going on a lucky run doesnt bother them.

The guy above explained it in his first few lines. What you're saying is the trap every novice gambler falls into. It's all about the odds, the odds are all that matter. As an example, I really expect United to win today but if you offered me Fulham-Draw double chance at 5/1, i'd be all over it like a rash. For you to have any chance you need to stop thinking of what you think is going to happen, and instead start applying an estimated percentage chance of each event happening (eg: 40% Home win, 30% Draw, 30% away win). Derive your prices from that

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Golfnut77

Why would they? It's all luck really, I've lost accumulators on a 90th minute goal as well as won them, don't see why they'd close my account because I've had a good year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 newbie11127

MOD
    <snip>

New reg in 1st post rant about 1 paticular location.

NO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Not a great idea to make accusations on an online forum with no proof?
    most worrying was some teens young under 18 being allowed to play

Are you one of these players?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 almajir

Shame this old thread was bumped for the wrong reasons - but that post from TheDalioLama is absolutely spot on.

I'm not a big gambler - I just like to put bets on every now and then and I've always done it with the attitude that any money returned is a bonus. I think if you want to do it to make money, you've got to be really good and do it with your brains not your heart. Loads of stuff is about online to read too.

Advertisement