Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petitioning for a playground

Options
  • 13-08-2014 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice here before I go any further. I'm living in kilcross in sandyford I've been talking to a few people around the area and we all agree on the serious lack of a playground or any facilities for children around this area. The closest playground in either Ballawley park (which for some reason has two) or bellarmine are way to far away. Both for parents bringing small children or older kids going up themselves.
    During the m50 construction we lost a lot of our green at the front of the estate and at the time there was talks of us getting some sort of playground but that was the last I heard of it. There is a perfect bit of land just opposite our estate which is council owned and is sitting idle (used by the odd dog walker and that's it). But it's a perfectly central for many estates it the area. From tic knock hill all the way down to sandyford there is a huge amount of houses/apartments and no facilities at all.

Anyway that's a quick run down of what I'm asking about here.
    How do I go about asking the council if something can be done/built etc?
    Or who do I even ask?
    Would it be wise to get a petition going first?
    Is contacting local politicians/ councillors a good idea? Email or written letter?
    Sorry for all the questions but I'm pretty clueless in this area and if nobody else will do it I suppose I'll have too :)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

I have a vague recollection of a village in Galway, Monivea which got a playground, and a damn nice one too, by raising half of the cost themselves, with the council providing the other half

It might be worth checking with your local council to see if the same deal would apply

The local community in Monivea are much more invested in the maintenance and repair of the playground as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭Tow

jimbis wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice here before I go any further.

DRL built one in Windy Arbour during the summer and it just opened (not officially) a few weeks ago. It took about 60 years from when the estate was built. You need to set up a local group to spread the word, set up a website etc and then lobby the local councillors and TDs.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I dont think a petition, regardless of the number of signatures, will make a difference but if you have raised most of the money locally and there was minimal cost to the council they might be willing to listen. Perhaps the best first step would be to talk to the council about acceptable ways for local people to fund the project which would not fall foul of procurement rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jimbis wrote: »
    Looking for a bit of advice here before I go any further. I'm living in kilcross in sandyford I've been talking to a few people around the area and we all agree on the serious lack of a playground or any facilities for children around this area. The closest playground in either Ballawley park (which for some reason has two) or bellarmine are way to far away. Both for parents bringing small children or older kids going up themselves.
    During the m50 construction we lost a lot of our green at the front of the estate and at the time there was talks of us getting some sort of playground but that was the last I heard of it. There is a perfect bit of land just opposite our estate which is council owned and is sitting idle (used by the odd dog walker and that's it). But it's a perfectly central for many estates it the area. From tic knock hill all the way down to sandyford there is a huge amount of houses/apartments and no facilities at all.

Anyway that's a quick run down of what I'm asking about here.
    How do I go about asking the council if something can be done/built etc?
    Or who do I even ask?
    Would it be wise to get a petition going first?
    Is contacting local politicians/ councillors a good idea? Email or written letter?
    Sorry for all the questions but I'm pretty clueless in this area and if nobody else will do it I suppose I'll have too :)

Thanks in advance.

A petition might have been useful in the run up the local elections earlier this year.

We have General elections due in two years, start to target those whom you think might be candidates.

And fund raising will always help, if the council can take spend your money, and take credit for it, they will love you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

You could try just going into your local council office and explaining your idea. I did it with Limerick City and County Council. They were very positive about it and gave advice about what to do next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

See if you can find a record of any deal that was made at the time acquisition. If there is a reference to the playground then that is a good starting point.

After that, start petitioning councillors and the council. The more calls and letters you make the more likely the result will be.

While TD's should be concentrating on national issues and not local ones they won't be able to stick their oar in when a general election on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭ozmo

Careful what you ask for, not everyone might want it so close to them - playgrounds can attract some unwanted attention at night...

especially if not close to houses

and.. if it in front of your own house you are asking for it to be put- increased litter/bins, and could be increased cars parking in your street etc.

- nice intentions and likely will be fine but think it through before asking.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement