Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Offseason 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nice piece on Kevin Love from Bill Simmons below. Too long to copy and paste over but worth the read:

http://grantland.com/features/kevin-love-lebron-james-trade-minnesota-timberwolves/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Hate to be the purveyor of bad news, but this will be of interest to many.

Greg Oden has just been released on bail after being charged with battery. The charge relates to an alleged incident involving him and his girlfriend, and the charge is that he physically assaulted her.
    For a guy who I really rooted for this season after being plagued by injury, this really disgusts me. Despicable.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11320319/former-top-pick-greg-oden-arrested-misdemeanor-battery-charges

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

What a prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

buyer95 wrote: »
    Hate to be the purveyor of bad news, but this will be of interest to many.

Greg Oden has just been released on bail after being charged with battery. The charge relates to an alleged incident involving him and his girlfriend, and the charge is that he physically assaulted her.
    For a guy who I really rooted for this season after being plagued by injury, this really disgusts me. Despicable.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11320319/former-top-pick-greg-oden-arrested-misdemeanor-battery-charges

Yeah, disgusting.
    I made the point just recently that it's disturbingly common in American pro-sports.

Interesting survey of the new rookie class. They were asked to vote on a number of categories:

http://www.nba.com/news/features/john_schuhmann/2014-15-nba-rookie-survey/index.html?cid=nbacomsocial_20140806_29208076#roy

45.9% think Parker will have the best career, with McDermott second on 13.5% and Warren third with 8.1% of the vote.

Parker won 52.8% of the votes on the 'who will win rookie of the year' question with McDermott and Wiggins level on just over 8%.

Kyle Anderson most overlooked with 11.1% ahead of McGarry and Robinson III (both 8.3%).

Speed of the game cited as the most difficult thing to adjust to ahead of size and strength of opponents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

Paully D wrote: »
    Interesting survey of the new rookie class. They were asked to vote on a number of categories:

http://www.nba.com/news/features/john_schuhmann/2014-15-nba-rookie-survey/index.html?cid=nbacomsocial_20140806_29208076#roy

45.9% think Parker will have the best career, with McDermott second on 13.5% and Warren third with 8.1% of the vote.

Parker won 52.8% of the votes on the 'who will win rookie of the year' question with McDermott and Wiggins level on just over 8%.

Kyle Anderson most overlooked with 11.1% ahead of McGarry and Robinson III (both 8.3%).

Speed of the game cited as the most difficult thing to adjust to ahead of size and strength of opponents.

I think it's interesting that Kobe won last year and came second this year...I'm a bit surprised Lebron isn't higher in the number of votes he recevied

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Wiggins/Love trade to complete the Cavs.

What a team they will have.
    3449.png&w=350&h=2542419.png&w=350&h=2541966.png&w=350&h=254

6628.png&w=350&h=2546442.png&w=350&h=254
    You could see this coming.

ec18 wrote: »
    I think it's interesting that Kobe won last year and came second this year...I'm a bit surprised Lebron isn't higher in the number of votes he recevied

This makes good reading for me as a Bulls fan:
    Worth noting: McBuckets shot 12-for-27 (44 percent) from 3-point range and 22-for-23 (96 percent) from the free throw line at Summer League. Pretty, pretty, pretty good. "His shot is so pure," one rookie said Sunday. "He has the calmest game," another, who said McDermott would have the best career, added. "He's very patient."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Over in Chicago for the summer and literally by chance today found out that the US Mens team have a game here on Saturday night at the United Center. Really looking forward to it. Gutted that Durant has pulled out but hopefully get to see D Rose for a while on the court :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

SantryRed wrote: »
    Over in Chicago for the summer and literally by chance today found out that the US Mens team have a game here on Saturday night at the United Center. Really looking forward to it. Gutted that Durant has pulled out but hopefully get to see D Rose for a while on the court :D

Wow, that'll probably be Rose's first game back in the United Center! Durant would've been a side show anyway.

• Advertisement

This makes good reading for me as a Bulls fan:

I hope he starts. Think you need it to balance the offense on the wing, with Butler's outside shooting still not up to scratch.

e.g Rose, McDermott, Butler, Pau, Noah.

looks better than: Rose, Butler, Dunleavy, Pau, Noah.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭nerd69

wow melo looks very slim wonder will this affect his game i know he's meant to be deceptively strong normally this could affect that but with an extra bit of quickness he could be even more terrifying to defend

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2159293-carmelo-anthony-is-looking-quite-slim

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

nerd69 wrote: »
    wow melo looks very slim wonder will this affect his game i know he's meant to be deceptively strong normally this could affect that but with an extra bit of quickness he could be even more terrifying to defend

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2159293-carmelo-anthony-is-looking-quite-slim

Common misconception - it's muscle that provides explosiveness and quickness; any loss of same will likely lead to him being slower rather than quicker.

Edit: Well muscle + fast twitch fibres to be accurate…..I'll stop now.

cc1b65a77e144b31647eab81b670e312.png

cc1b65a77e144b31647eab81b670e312.png

Good thing. You could see he was restricted by the format. On those style of tv shows, every point has to be a 30-second sound-bite, no room for going into things in a bit of depth (why I pretty much never watch TV analysis).

Think this will be more the direction of the new show.

There's a balance to be struck though, not sure his exact podcast formula will work on tv either. Some guests are ok on radio, but not on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

NBA schedule is being released at 11pm our time tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

NBA schedule is being released at 11pm our time tomorrow night
    Hopefully they don't make a balls of the Christmas schedule like last year.

Or Thanksgiving when I'm in Orlando and Miami......:rolleyes: .booked in Jan. and thought I might get a Heat-Bulls or a Heat-Lakers game. Now that LeJon has bolted I'll prob get Heat-Utah. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 1DRose

Or Thanksgiving when I'm in Orlando and Miami......:rolleyes: .booked in Jan. and thought I might get a Heat-Bulls or a Heat-Lakers game. Now that LeJon has bolted I'll prob get Heat-Utah. :rolleyes:

There are other teams in the League besides Miami and they've had plenty of showtime the past few years!! If you expect to get a bad team around this stage, you may get Heat-Lakers! :pac:

Heading to Chicago around New Years, the dates are dependent on getting to a Bulls game. Here's hoping for a decent game...... and Rose staying healhty! :o:(

1DRose wrote: »
    There are other teams in the League besides Miami and they've had plenty of showtime the past few years!! If you expect to get a bad team around this stage, you may get Heat-Lakers! :pac:

Heading to Chicago around New Years, the dates are dependent on getting to a Bulls game. Here's hoping for a decent game...... and Rose staying healhty! :o:(

Ahhhh, pretty much everyone who posts here knows I HATE the Heat! I'm a Celtics fan through and through. I just happen to be going to Orlando and Miami at that time and hoping to catch a game with players and/or teams I'd like to watch. I'd obviously like to have seen LeJon (again) if he was still a Heat player. I'll catch at least one game in each city schedule permitting and assuming they 're not completely crap teams. Right now though, there's not a single player on the Heat or Magic rosters I'd be going out of my way to see in the flesh. :(

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »

In true boards tradition Santry, take some pics and post here for the rest of us afterwards. And enjoy the game, I'm very jealous.

nerd69 wrote: »

Couldn't sleep last night and was reading various threads on this. One VERY interesting angle on this is the fact that the NBA plan to test for Human Growth Hormone this year. Read into that whatever you may!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭nerd69

Couldn't sleep last night and was reading various threads on this. One VERY interesting angle on this is the fact that the NBA plan to test for Human Growth Hormone this year. Read into that whatever you may!

to be honest any sport that they don't test it i would imagine 99.99999 percent of the players are on it

NBA drug testing is notoriously lax. They are limited to 5 tests per season. So if you have guys tested 5 times between October and December then they cannot be tested again until the following October, basically giving them licence to juice to their hearts content for a playoff run.

Nowadays the players are a lot more muscular than before without necessarily losing the athleticism and agility. I would say if HGH is tested as speculated, then we will either see a remarkable increase in failed tests, or a huge drop off in performance levels as well as more injuries and longer recovery times.

Opening Week TV games:
    Bu82NrrCAAIQ4tT.jpg
    Bu82NrtCUAEhubO.jpg

Xmas Day games:
    Bu82iojIEAAiSoP.jpg

MLK Day Games on National TV:

2.30 EST - Pistons@Hawks - ESPN
    5 EST - Mavs@Grizzlies - NBA TV
    8 EST - Bulls@Cavs - TNT
    10.30 EST - Lakers@Suns - TNT

Cavs, Bulls and Thunder will have most games on ABC, ESPN & TNT. Each scheduled for 25 appearances.

1am Xmas Day night. Sweet! Will have comfortably gotten rid of the family by then!

Opening Week games:

Tuesday October 28th

1 am (8 EST) - Magic@Pelicans - LP
    1 am (8 EST) - Mavs@Spurs - TNT
    3.30 am (10.30 EST) - Rockets@Lakers - TNT

Wednesday October 29th

12 am (7 EST) - Bucks@Hornets - LP
    12 am (7 EST) - 76ers@Pacers - LP
    12.30 am (7.30 EST) - Nets@Celtics - LP
    12.30 am (7.30 EST) - Wizards@Heat - LP
    12.30 am (7.30 EST) - Hawks@Raptors - LP
    1 am (8 EST) - TWolves@Grizzlies - LP
    1 am (8 EST) - Bulls@Knicks - ESPN
    2 am (9 EST) - Pistons@Nuggets - LP
    2 am (9 EST) - Rockets@Jazz - LP
    3 am (10 EST) - Lakers@Suns - LP
    3 am (10 EST) - Warriors@Kings - LP
    3.30 am (10.30 EST) - Thunder@Trail Blazers - ESPN

Thursday October 30th

12 am (7 EST) - Wizards@Magic - LP
    1 am (8 EST) - Pistons@TWolves - LP
    1 am (8 EST) - Knicks@Cavs - TNT
    1.30 am (8.30 EST) - Jazz@Mavs - LP
    3.30 am (10.30 EST) - Thunder@Clippers - TNT

Friday October 31st

12 am (7 EST) - Grizzlies@Pacers - LP
    1 am (8 EST) - Cavs@Bulls - ESPN
    1.30 am (8.30 EST) - 76ers@Bucks - LP
    3 am (10 EST) - Spurs@Suns - LP
    3 am (10 EST) - Trail Blazers@Kings - LP
    3.30 am (10.30 EST) - Clippers@Lakers - ESPN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

F*cking love NBA on Christmas Day. Can't argue with the schedule apart from the Knicks getting picked again..

Golden State @ Orlando on Nov. 26th will have me there. Clippers are also there earlier that week but I saw them last season so may pass. One I will definitely be passing on is Orlando v Heat - flipping typical, a day after I state there isn't omen player on either roster I'd go out of my way to see they play each other during my holidays!

• Advertisement

Golden State @ Orlando on Nov. 26th will have me there. Clippers are also there earlier that week but I saw them last season so may pass. One I will definitely be passing on is Orlando v Heat - flipping typical, a day after I state there isn't omen player on either roster I'd go out of my way to see they play each other during my holidays!

Golden State are possibly the most fun team in the league to watch! Great pick! I saw Warriors vs Spurs Game 4 at the Oracle in 2013 Playoffs, was a great game!

Looks like I'll be going to Nets @ Bulls December 30th. Anybody have any tips for securing Bulls tickets?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement