Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Westmeath GAA discussion Thread

• 23-01-2014 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭

Was just wondering what peoples expectations/hopes for Westmeath are this year?

I reckon we'll do well to get 1 win in the league. But if we got a few hammering's in the league it could be a disaster for our championship prospects!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Was just wondering what peoples expectations/hopes for Westmeath are this year?

I reckon we'll do well to get 1 win in the league. But if we got a few hammering's in the league it could be a disaster for our championship prospects!
    Fair play for starting the thread.Every county should have one.

What do ye make yere team will be for us in two weeks.

Heslin is some player ,any time ye played cork in the league ye gave us hard games.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

League prospects don't honestly look good. If one was to guess, we'd be the whipping boys of the group. Starting off with a team in transition, but unfortunately far superior than us and to make things worse an away game.
    Sunday February 2nd: Cork v Westmeath
    A bet which I hate writing is, Westmeath not to win a game in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If Westmeath are at full strength and interested from the off they could easily take a few scalps IMO. A lot of teams won't be full strength for the start of the year and even those who are won't be fully tuned in more than likely.

The likes of Tyrone and Kildare will be exceptions to that, but Kerry, Cork, Mayo and Derry are all possible marks for teams that play them early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Also interesting to see Ken Casey transferring to St. Lomans! Should make them favourites this year IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Did I steal your name or did you steal mine?

Edit: While we're at it, I reckon it will be tough for Westmeath to stay in Div 1. FWIW I think it'll be Westmeath and Derry to go straight down. They ran away with Div 2 early on last year, but every game in D1 is tough and their home games are against Dublin, Kerry and Mayo. Big ask to stay up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Westmeath should forget about the league. Use it to get a settled team or try new players out.

They've been abysmal in the championship for the last few years and should focus on that

Team and panel to play Cork ...

Darren Quinn;
    (Tyrrellspass)

Steven Gilmore, Kevin Maguire, Damien Dolan;
    (St Lomans) (Caulry) (Caulry)

James Dolan, John Gilligan, Jamie Gonoud;
    (Garrycastle) (Ballymore) (Tyrrellspass)

David Duffy, Denis Corroon;
    (Shandonagh) (Mullingar Shamrocks)

Ger Egan, John Egan, Paul Sharry (capt);
    (Tpass) (Athlone) (St Lomans)

Kieran Martin, John Heslin, Alan Giles.
    (Maryland) (St Lomans) (Coralstown/Kinnegad)

Subs:
    Stephen Gallagher, (St Lomans)
    Kieran Gavin, (Mullingar Shamrocks)
    Shane Flynn, (St Lomans)
    Gavin Hoey, (Tyrrellspass)
    Dessie Dolan, (Garrycastle)
    Ray Connellan, (Athlone)
    Dean McNicholas, (Tyrrellspass)
    Seanie Daly, (Mullingar Shamrocks)
    Denis Glennon, (Tyrrellspass)
    David McCormack, (Rosemount)
    Callum McCormack, (Maryland).

Team and panel to play Cork ...

Darren Quinn;
    (Tyrrellspass)

Steven Gilmore, Kevin Maguire, Damien Dolan;
    (St Lomans) (Caulry) (Caulry)

James Dolan, John Gilligan, Jamie Gonoud;
    (Garrycastle) (Ballymore) (Tyrrellspass)

David Duffy, Denis Corroon;
    (Shandonagh) (Mullingar Shamrocks)

Ger Egan, John Egan, Paul Sharry (capt);
    (Tpass) (Athlone) (St Lomans)

Kieran Martin, John Heslin, Alan Giles.
    (Maryland) (St Lomans) (Coralstown/Kinnegad)

Subs:
    Stephen Gallagher, (St Lomans)
    Kieran Gavin, (Mullingar Shamrocks)
    Shane Flynn, (St Lomans)
    Gavin Hoey, (Tyrrellspass)
    Dessie Dolan, (Garrycastle)
    Ray Connellan, (Athlone)
    Dean McNicholas, (Tyrrellspass)
    Seanie Daly, (Mullingar Shamrocks)
    Denis Glennon, (Tyrrellspass)
    David McCormack, (Rosemount)
    Callum McCormack, (Maryland).

I'd have McCormack and Glennon in instead of Giles and Egan and Gavin instead of Gilligan.
    Wouldn't be overly confidant going into the game but Cork are undergoing a major revamp with so many players retiring and a new manager so maybe this is the best time to play them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

I'd have McCormack and Glennon in instead of Giles and Egan and Gavin instead of Gilligan.
    Wouldn't be overly confidant going into the game but Cork are undergoing a major revamp with so many players retiring and a new manager so maybe this is the best time to play them!!
    I see heslin is flying and got 6 from play and mcormack got two in the sigerson.

There the main lads I know of yere team.
    Were strongest at full back and half back is full of pace and expect all 3 to bomb forward at every chance.

Our full forward line is full of scoring.Left corner back is suspectable ,what yere left corner forward like and midfield

Not a good weekend for the lads. Level pegging at half time [doesnt really give Cork credit, as they'd 11 wides] but at least we were holding our own. The 2nd half display was very poor, even though we had a gale-force breeze behind us.

The game as a whole wasn't great .. too many lads pussy-footing around with the ball rather than
    (a) kicking it in side fast or
    (b) taking the man on.

Things can can only get better .. Dublin I hope youre ready!!

• Advertisement

Dublin game was very disappointing. We seemed to lack hunger from midfield up, I don't know how many times our defenders had the ball and looked up to see no midfielder or forward showing.
    Heslin tried his best but he was being double marked and poor quality supply. Glennons days must be nearing an end, looked like he couldn't be bothered at times. Also didn't see the point in bringing in McCormack for a couple of mins at the end.

It was a game that could have went either way after the goal but it looked like the dubs woke up and relised they were in a fight.

Positives were Quinn in goals, Gilmore in defence and John Egan and Heslin when he got the ball. Sharry, Ger Egan and Dolan took to much outta ball every time. Also Kieran Martin is much better suited further out the field, wasted in the corner.

Not looking good for us so far anyway and I'd fear a serious backlash from Tyrone after they're defeat to Kerry last week!

Team to play Louth

Westmeath (SF v Louth): Darren Quinn; Damian Dolan, Kieran Gavin, Kevin Maguire; Ronan Foley, Paul Sharry (captain), James Dolan; David Duffy, Ray Connellan; Callum McCormack, Ger Egan, Kieran Martin; Denis Glennon, John Heslin, Dessie Dolan.

Hopefully we get the win, I reckon home advantage should see us win by 3/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I'm sure your a bit sick of playing Louth at this stage. Hopefully home advantage will get ye over the line.

Sad to see Dessie retire but he's been a great servant and probably Westmeath's best ever player. Pity he has to go out on such a low point after a disastrous year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Is Bealin getting the chop?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

iDave wrote: »
    Is Bealin getting the chop?

Hopefully, should never have got the job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭passremarkable

dessie was a class player.

bealin surely has to go, cheap option by county board?
    surely there are better players in the county than recent showing against cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Hurling manager has resigned.

dessie was a class player.

bealin surely has to go, cheap option by county board?
    surely there are better players in the county than recent showing against cavan.

Berlin will stay until he's pushed id say. The worrying thing is that the team that played Cavan is near enough our best team, the talent just isn't there at the minute imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Berlin will stay until he's pushed id say. The worrying thing is that the team that played Cavan is near enough our best team, the talent just isn't there at the minute imo

I didn't think ye were that bad a team to be honest. Your management had certainly done their homework on our defensive style and shooting from afar worked well for ye in the first half. I feel we should have beaten ye by alot more though. We went 7 points up and were cruising and the goal rattled our lads who are low on confidence.

Westmeath were also playing a Cavan team without 7/8 regular starters. Fergal Flanagan suspended. Mackey, Alan Clarke and Keating not fit to start. KIllian Clarke and McVeety in America. Martin Dunne injured and suspended (!). Ronan Flanagan taking a while out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Bealin gone is a good move IMO had a shocking year

Front runners ?

James McCartan
    Fergal O Donnell
    Tommy Carr
    Glen Ryan

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Bealin gone is a good move IMO had a shocking year

Front runners ?

James McCartan
    Fergal O Donnell
    Tommy Carr
    Glen Ryan

Tommy Carr appeals the most out of that list, would he take it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Raf32 wrote: »

Jaysus really? I know he has done well with the minors but his spells in Cavan,Roscommon & Dublin were a disaster.

Glen Ryan i think would be a good shout,He did well in Longford while he was there

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Jaysus really? I know he has done well with the minors but his spells in Cavan,Roscommon & Dublin were a disaster.

Glen Ryan i think would be a good shout,He did well in Longford while he was there

Ya i think he could do decent, but really any of the choices would be a big improvement on the last manager

Tommy Carr would be a disaster as manager, most of the players don't rate him at all. I think we need to look at separate U-21 and Senior managers as well, at least it might give a youg good manager some inter county experience before stepping up to the big job in a few years like with Jim Gavin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Out of that list Carr would appeal the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Can't believe that baited so many. Well done, Raf.

On a serious note, FOD is likely either staying in the Roscommon minor job if he has time (a big reason he stepped away from the senior job in 2012) or is going to take time out. The last thing you'll see him doing is managing opposite Roscommon in D2 next year. The core of the Roscommon team are his own minors from 2006.

Hard to say no if senior management place is offered to O'Donnell. Would be ironic if he played a part in sending the rossies back to div 3.

• Advertisement

Hard to say no if senior management place is offered to O'Donnell. Would be ironic if he played a part in sending the rossies back to div 3.

Advertisement