Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gaslight Anthem

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

The number of acoustic versions makes it look like they're just scraping the barrel for a cash-in job. News of a new album in 2014 is good news though. Hopefully they'll be back here for another couple of dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The number of acoustic versions makes it look like they're just scraping the barrel for a cash-in job. News of a new album in 2014 is good news though. Hopefully they'll be back here for another couple of dates.

Yep seems like a label thing....for me a b-sides album should at least have original songs on it. Most fans will have this type of stuff already, and very few new fans will pick up a b-sides album.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

New track from the upcoming album. It's a nice change from what they usually do. It's definitely one that sticks in your head after a couple of spins. Nice work, lads!

Just stumbled across this one too. I prefer "Get Hurt," but this will keep the fans who prefer the "traditional" Gaslight Anthem sound happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I'm loving Rollin' and Tumblin'! "All my friends wanna get into heaven and all I keep thinking is I wish you were here" is a hell of a line! But really, that's not a surprise anymore.

I'm not really feeling Get Hurt that much yet. I'd say it'll grow on me as I listen to it. They usually do, but I can see myself preferring the familiar sounding songs.

Here's the track list in case anyone's missed it:

01. Stay Vicious
    02. 1,000 Years
    03. Get Hurt
    04. Stray Paper
    05. Helter Skeleton
    06. Underneath The Ground
    07. Rollin' And Tumblin'
    08. Red Violins
    09. Selected Poems
    10. Ain't That A Shame
    11. Break Your Heart
    12. Dark Places
    13. Sweet Morphine (Deluxe)
    14. Mama's Boys (Deluxe)
    15. Halloween (Deluxe)
    16. Have Mercy (iTunes)

Based on the name alone I've got high hopes for Break Your Heart and Selected Poems. Helter Skelton seems like something Matt Skiba would call a song, so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out.

Dinner wrote: »
    I'm loving Rollin' and Tumblin'! "All my friends wanna get into heaven and all I keep thinking is I wish you were here" is a hell of a line! But really, that's not a surprise anymore.

I'm not really feeling Get Hurt that much yet. I'd say it'll grow on me as I listen to it. They usually do, but I can see myself preferring the familiar sounding songs.

Here's the track list in case anyone's missed it:

01. Stay Vicious
    02. 1,000 Years
    03. Get Hurt
    04. Stray Paper
    05. Helter Skeleton
    06. Underneath The Ground
    07. Rollin' And Tumblin'
    08. Red Violins
    09. Selected Poems
    10. Ain't That A Shame
    11. Break Your Heart
    12. Dark Places
    13. Sweet Morphine (Deluxe)
    14. Mama's Boys (Deluxe)
    15. Halloween (Deluxe)
    16. Have Mercy (iTunes)

Based on the name alone I've got high hopes for Break Your Heart and Selected Poems. Helter Skelton seems like something Matt Skiba would call a song, so it'll be interesting to see how that turns out.

Get Hurt seems to be another step towards The Horrible Crows. Wasn't too pushed on Rollin and Tumblin but it's been stuck in my head all weekend.

Is Halloween the same track that was on the extended version of Handwritten? One of the best songs the band has ever written IMO and should be a proper album track.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Get Hurt seems to be another step towards The Horrible Crows. Wasn't too pushed on Rollin and Tumblin but it's been stuck in my head all weekend.

Is Halloween the same track that was on the extended version of Handwritten? One of the best songs the band has ever written IMO and should be a proper album track.

Yeah it's the same one. Definitely one of the best songs. The best ones always seem to sneak out as B Sides or as extras like Misery, She Loves You and Blue Dahlia. Their choice of songs for albums could use some work!

On another note, new song out today.

I'm really liking this one too, especially the change of pace between the verse and chorus

I have come away after listening to each song going 'I am not sure what I think about that' only to find myself humming it later in the day. The songs are damn catchy.

I think Rollin and Tumblin will be a great opener for their gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Robotito

Any chance they will add an Irish date or two to their European tour in October/November?
    Saw them in the Olympia in June last year and they were amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

The whole album is fantastic! The band sound so fresh and energised.

As with when I first heard the songs released on youtube I am not sure what to think of the album. The out of flow lyrics seem to be popping up a lot, and there seems to be a real Southern Rock (unintentional Alkaline Trio reference) or gospel vibe off a lot of the songs.

Not liking the version of Halloween though.

Edit: Have Mercy is the 'why isn't that on the actual album?' track for me.

• Advertisement

Edit: Have Mercy is the 'why isn't that on the actual album?' track for me.

Yep, surprise surprise, a Gaslight Anthem B side/bonus is better than most of the album tracks. It's becoming their 'thing' now.

Having said that, I haven't listened to the whole thing yet. Kinda liked 1000 years and really liked Have Mercy. Not so keen on Stray Paper. Think I'll hang on the few days now before I go through the rest.

Disappointed to hear about Halloween. Is it very different to the versions that are already out?

Edit: **** it's out tonight! I thought it was the 12th...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

Goddamn, I hope this baby hits iTunes at midnight. I'll be staying up anyway- has proven to be a hit and miss strategy in the past.

Dinner wrote: »
    Yep, surprise surprise, a Gaslight Anthem B side/bonus is better than most of the album tracks. It's becoming their 'thing' now.

Having said that, I haven't listened to the whole thing yet. Kinda liked 1000 years and really liked Have Mercy. Not so keen on Stray Paper. Think I'll hang on the few days now before I go through the rest.

Disappointed to hear about Halloween. Is it very different to the versions that are already out?

Edit: **** it's out tonight! I thought it was the 12th...

Not majorly different and if I had heard this version first I would probably be saying the one I like isn't as good.

Not pushed on 1000 years (yet), I think the first half of the album is patchy with stay vicious and get hurt being the stand out tracks. From Rollin and Tumblin on though it's really good, especially Dark Places.

Not majorly different and if I had heard this version first I would probably be saying the one I like isn't as good.

Not pushed on 1000 years (yet), I think the first half of the album is patchy with stay vicious and get hurt being the stand out tracks. From Rollin and Tumblin on though it's really good, especially Dark Places.

Oh man, I know what you mean about Halloween. Don't think I like that at all. Just sounds weird... The whole backing vocals sounds wrong compared to the other version.

I'm only going through it for the second time there now. 1000 years is starting to sound out. The chorus is really catchy! Not entirely sure about Stray Paper/Helter Skeleton/Underneath the Ground at all yet. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the vocals are too quiet on some songs too.

The whole divorce thing puts a different slant on the whole album though, older songs always seemed to be about girls from his youth.

Having given it a few more listen Stray paper, Helter Skeleton and Red Violins are the weakest parts of the album for me. Am really liking Selected Poems, and Ain't that a shame (although it could do with another chorus).

I had listened to it once or twice before reading the interview where he talked about his divorce, but like you said once you know about that it really gives it another dimension.

So I'm quite a few listens in now and have a fair idea of it. I think my least favourites on it are Stray Paper and Get Hurt. Stray Paper just hasnt really gown on me, and I really don't like the chorus of Get Hurt.

I wasn't mad on Helter Skeleton initially, but I'm all over it now. It's up there with Have Mercy, Ain't that a Shame and Selected Poems as the best songs for me.

I was going to come on and have a rant about that stupid pre-show soundcheck thing, but I see they've already pulled the plug on it. Just as well to be honest $125 is crazy money for an unfair idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Aaaaaaaaand they're back! My favourite band of the last 10/15 years and as much as I love Brian Fallon's solo stuff, The Gaslight Anthem are a different beast.

Good read here on how it all came about, so keen for a new album.

Brian Fallon Explains Why The Gaslight Anthem Have Reunited (uproxx.com)

Advertisement