Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How smelly are you?

Options
  • 05-08-2014 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how smelly ye all are... :D

Do you wear only freshly washed gear for each run or do you smell like the boot of a junior b hurling managers car heading out? I'll almost always have only clean gear on but I never do doubles etc... In a pinch I'll put something smelly on but I wouldn't be entirely happy about it (like tonight which prompted my question). Am I a big wuss?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

I wear the same pair of shorts for a few days at a time. Have plenty of shirts but not enough shorts to have a fresh pair every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Clean stuff everytime, sweat to much to get more than one use out of gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

Beef wrote: »
    Just wondering how smelly ye all are... :D

Do you wear only freshly washed gear for each run or do you smell like the boot of a junior b hurling managers car heading out? I'll almost always have only clean gear on but I never do doubles etc... In a pinch I'll put something smelly on but I wouldn't be entirely happy about it (like tonight which prompted my question). Am I a big wuss?

I'd be the same as yourself, generally try and wear clean gear. Have had to wear day old gear on occasion and it's not pretty, mainly because I do sweat a bit and the gear has been in a bag or in a heap on the floor. Before my quantity of available gear improved, I used to hang it up outside and got a second wear out of it most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

My gear stands up by itself after one run and if not washed immediately the smell takes two washes to come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

T-shirts- change every time, sometimes twice per run if I have a spare one in the car

Shorts- Change every 3 days or so

Socks- manky I know, but I can mostly get two days out of them, don't have that many pairs

Shoes- usually I rotate 4-5 pairs of shoes so they never get that smelly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Not changing shorts, dirty socks, smelly tshirts

EEWWW
    Always clean washed gear.

EEWWW again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Wat about the wings..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

I wear the same pair of shorts for a few days at a time. Have plenty of shirts but not enough shorts to have a fresh pair every day.

Ditto, I always change my shirt but I wear the same shorts for 2 or 3 runs and then wash them.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Full set of clean gear every time. I sweat a lot and it's just seriously unpleasant otherwise.

Clean clothes every time!

I also shower before I race because so I stay smelling half decent for as long as possible.

Unfortunately during a recent race there was a lady running just ahead of me and I've never in my life smelled anything to bad :( It was like she just didn't wash or clean her gear ever. I'm not exaggerating. It took me and my running buddy a while to figure out who it was and we were actually heaving as we were "down wind", once we figured out the culprit we got as far past her as we could.

God that sounds awful bitchy, sorry :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

Not a massive sweater so new t-shirt and socks each time but rotate the shorts in for about 3 or 4 runs before they get washed.

I always struggle with rain/wind jacket in winter...I want to wash it more but then it loses all of its lovely water proofness quicker. Dilemnas in the first world...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Why differentiate between shorts and tops??? It's sweatier in the shorts if anything? Smelly b*stards. Begs the question, how often do you actually wash yourself? No point bothering with showers or baths if you put dirty clothes on. One of the worst things when running is a BO stench from a.n. other. Only poss time & place is to put off rivals in a big race.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The only thing I wear more than once is a sports bra and I even find that gross - most you'll get out of a sports bra is 3 runs at a serous push...everything else, clean everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Why differentiate between shorts and tops??? It's sweatier in the shorts if anything? Smelly b*stards. Begs the question, how often do you actually wash yourself? No point bothering with showers or baths if you put dirty clothes on. One of the worst things when running is a BO stench from a.n. other. Only poss time & place is to put off rivals in a big race.

In fairness, shorts don't get nearly as sweaty as t-shirts. ANd it's not "putting on dirty clothes", I usually hang them out to dry for few hours afterwards. And I live in the middle of bogland so I rarely never see another face when running so no-one gets offended by me doing it. Also, fresh clothes always in a race, including lucky shorts!.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭conavitzky

Going to be some right smelly runners around soon with water charges on the way....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Clean everything for every run as I sweat a lot.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

People wear running shorts twice? That's gross! They're made of quick drying material guys, just wash them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Running gear is so light that it'll wash and dry extremely quickly anyway. There's no excuse for stinky gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Never wash my gear, just go for a run in the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Clean every time.
    (On holidays I only bring two sets of gear so 'washing' often means throwing the stuff on the floor of the shower under me)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Fresh stuff every time, even after a short run. The amount I sweat it would be just minging to do otherwise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

pconn062 wrote: »
    In fairness, shorts don't get nearly as sweaty as t-shirts.

Wouldn't be so sure about that. All sorts of bacteria down there! You're lucky it hasn't fallen off yet!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

pconn062 wrote: »
    In fairness, shorts don't get nearly as sweaty as t-shirts. ANd it's not "putting on dirty clothes", I usually hang them out to dry for few hours afterwards. And I live in the middle of bogland so I rarely never see another face when running so no-one gets offended by me doing it. Also, fresh clothes always in a race, including lucky shorts!.

Do you wear underwear under your shorts ?

this thread reminds me of this clip...particularly the bit at 1:02

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Some Kind of Wizard

For training I would wear the same shorts 2-3 times before washing them. Mostly train on my own and going to be having a shower straight after training so washing them every time just seems like a needless chore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

This like a bleedin counselling sharing session for durty *****....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Clean everything, although sometimes I'll wear the same runners but that doesn't count does it? :P

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Clean everything, although sometimes I'll wear the same runners but that doesn't count does it? :P

That's manky. I wear new runners ever time. You'd be mad not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

That's manky. I wear new runners ever time. You'd be mad not to.

You're right. I'm going to hang my head in shame........and buy another pair of runners :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Never mind that, I'll only run on freshly laid tarmac.
    Some right smelly f*ckers around all the same. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'm due to wash my gear in September for the fist time since I started running 2 years ago

It gets washed every other year whether it needs it or not

;)

Advertisement