Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

"The worst car you have ever driven" Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Lexus rx400h , better to drive than most small hatchbacks but so dissapointing for what it is , its v6 petrol and torquey electric motors promised so much but with so many stability systems and battery weight the thing didnt accelerate well at all , absolutely 0 feedback through the steering wheel and in corners it was worse than my d-max by a mile. It felt more like the car was driving you

You weren't in soviet russia at all? :pac:

For me it was a renault 19 utter travesty of a thing, i could've walked faster than it, it would do for going to the shops....just about

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I will put in Lada before anybody else also Skoda before they became a good motor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

1980 Renault 14

It was like driving a bath sponge down an icy roller coaster. I never knew which direction I was going until the car made up it's mind. Got rid after 4 weeks with my nerves shot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I have the opposite opinion of the Kas i've driven. I loved the handling of a mk1 Ka. Like a little gokart. Stuck to the road in corners.

Have to agree with you on that, I rallied Ka's for years and they're one of the best handling cars since the mini. I owned a few road going Ka's too and they were all pretty decent for handling, they were never gonna be pocket rockets as standard but a nippy car all the less.

My worst car would have to be the SsangYong Rexton, worst heap of 5h1t I ever had the pleasure of driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Fiat ulyses, fiat multipla, come to mind

Had a Ulyses on holiday one year, great for what it was. The Multipla wasn't bad either.

Worst car I ever drove was a brand new Chevrolet Altos on loan from the garage, there was nothing good to say about this car - I actually feel angry about how bad it was. Second was a Hummer H2 - a real POS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Land Rover Discovery... so underpowered it couldn't even get up the driveway (steep) and this was brand new. Thankfully it has now been addressed..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

CJC999 wrote: »
    A 98 Toyota Camry 2.2

It was the slowest, wurst handling car I have ever had the misfortune of driving. The suspension was so soft that it was bordering on dangerous, it understeered at even a hint of a bend and was completely gutless in all gears. The car was highly maintained and serviced and so wasn't a clapped out banger.

This but it was a 2010 Camry, it was brand new and terrifyingly bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Drove many horrible blandboxes over the years but the one that sticks for now will be the mk1 Seat Ibiza. Not the one with the Porsche magic, the crappy remake of the Fiat 903cc engine that turned a fantastic engine into a boat anchor. Gutless, thirsty, noisy, horrible inside, horrible outside, terrible handling..... You get the picture

10325719183_a1f4428417.jpg

Although a close second are the scrotums I had with the 1.4PTE that oooozed refinement, he lied through his face.... A terrific handling car ruined by that engine!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I travel with work a lot and I also travel a lot for fun also so between work/holiday rentals and driving friends cars when abroad, the range is fairly varied and not all cars are new (or modern!!)

For me it has to be between an early 90s Skoda Felicia or a 1980s Lada Riva, absolutely horrible cars to drive. Suspension was basically non existent especially on crappy roads in Eastern and Central Europe..

Someone here slated the Skoda Fabia, granted the first gen wasn't great but the newer models are grand little cars.

They don't have many bells and whistles on them and aren't gonna be comparable to many bigger cars for creature comforts, but as a reliable cheap little car which I've had the pleasure of doing many many miles in a rental over the years, you can't really beat em imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

97 1.0 litre Opel Corsa.

Useless heap of junk, special note for the gearbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

The most disappointing was a Fiat 500. Thought it would be a cool car to take on a road trip around Northern Italy but if anything it was boring and detached. I was expecting a lot better. Herself loved it though.

Hired one of these for a week in Cornwall last year thinking the size would be good for the torturous back lanes on the North coast but it was just too small for two adults with gear (rucksacks, boots a lot of camera gear) to be in the car all day without having to constantly organise the interior of the car. They do have a sort of cheeky charm though; we stay on a farm in Cornwall and I think the farmer took offence to it parking amongst his collection of seriously large John Deere kit in the yard ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

141 1.2 Opel Corsa, Horrid thing. Cheap Plastic everywhere and I am used to Japanese cars so thing should not bother me but it was somehow worse. The power delivery was uneven and there steering feel lacking, It made me hate cars, I could compare it to my sisters 2009 Mazda 2 but the Mazda is light years ahead in everyway.
    opel-corsa-2014.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

I have driven hundreds of cars over the years, but the one that will always have a special place in my heart will be the 2003 Skoda Fabia Saloon 1.9 SDI I had for a week. I cannot fathom how bad this car was. It was slow, noisy and gutless to drive. Inside was awful, everything was horrid plastic. The driving position was so weird too, the driver's seat left like it was so low down. I just can't put it into words how bad the car was. I just can't...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

It's been a while since I've driven a really bad car. I've driven some very average cars over the past few years, but nothing that stands out as really bad.

Think the worst I ended up in was an 02 1.4i Megane Saloon. Horrible Velour seats (static city), terrible seating position, had already had 3 years of someones abuse, smelled funny, slipping clutch, very little power, and a boggo base model with keep fit windows. What really sealed the deal though was that it was a day like today, and traffic came to a complete halt on the M50 for about an hour - no Aircon and someone else's dirty, smelly, old car, doesn't make for an enjoyable time.

Honourable mentions to every Citroen C5 I've ever driven, the last model Nissan Primera, the Peugeot 407, and that scuttering cr@p box of an 06 X-Trail 2.0 Petrol Auto 4WD with over 200,000km on, that shuddered uncontrollably for no apparent reason at random intervals, at Motorway speeds. At least it did deal with the Snow and Ice which is the only reason I was driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

1.4l petrol focus.. pretty much as bad as people say

test drove a gen2 corsa (02 maybe) years back, and couldnt throw the keys back at the guy quick enough. Steering in particular was just so detached - youd get more feedback stirring your cornflakes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

2000 Hyundai Accent 1.3. Completely soul destroying. Almost made me want to give up driving completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

A 1982 Opel Kaddett.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

8 year old Volkswagen Passat. I borrowed it from a friend once. Everything had to be pushed and pressed with force (brakes etc) and there was a horrible dusty smell from the AC. Horrible journey. Never want to drive such an old car again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Renault Laguna sports 1.6 petrol wouldn't pull the skin of custard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

141 1.2 Opel Corsa, Horrid thing. Cheap Plastic everywhere and I am used to Japanese cars so thing should not bother me but it was somehow worse. The power delivery was uneven and there steering feel lacking, It made me hate cars, I could compare it to my sisters 2009 Mazda 2 but the Mazda is light years ahead in everyway.

It's quite shocking that even in 2014 they haven't gotten the Corsa right.

Has that damn thing ever been good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

annascott wrote: »
    8 year old Volkswagen Passat. I borrowed it from a friend once. Everything had to be pushed and pressed with force (brakes etc) and there was a horrible dusty smell from the AC. Horrible journey. Never want to drive such an old car again..

Ah hayur
    97 1.0 litre Opel Corsa.

Useless heap of junk, special note for the gearbox.
    141 1.2 Opel Corsa, Horrid thing.

Drum brakes in the back that stick after a few days idle.

I'm amazed how any right thinking person would buy one of these awful yokes. You have to give it to GM though: they were consistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

No one has mentioned the dreaded Nissan Serena 2.3 diesel..... A complete dog..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My first and worst was an '81 Austin Metro. Everything went: clutch, alternator, starter. I learned how to drive that yoke without a clutch. Eventually the final drive, a splined shaft the roadwheel sits on, wore down. The splines wore smooth. Every time I went over a bump, hit the brakes or accelerated the drive lost traction and there was a horrible grinding noise. The brakes hardly worked in the end.

And to top it off, it had stupid bastard sized wheels that some garages couldn't cope with when it punctured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Nissan Terrano what a pile of sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

jca wrote: »

Or the 1.6 which Jeremy Clarkson once made reference to being the slowest accelerating car for sale in Britain at the time iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Toss between one of those "bubble" era Micras, and (this will be unpopular given the BMW fanboyism that goes on here) the E60 series BMW

The Micra because it was a plastic, underpowered ball of shyte - but then it doesn't pretend to be anything beyond a functional A-B city car so on that front it delivers I guess. Given the choice of such a car though I'd rather the mid-00s Swift I had for a few days, or the same era Jazz that my ex had.

The 5 series though.. badly laid out controls, clunky i-Drive system, didn't care for the seating position, they weren't even arsed changing the wipers for RHD cars (which is just a cheapskate move for a "premium" car), small/cramped, and it was slow.. very slow! Had 2 of them over a few weeks (a 520d and a 525d MSport) and the idea that these were equivalents/direct alternatives to my own A6 was just incredible.

All I kept thinking was "THIS is what the fuss is about??" No doubt many will think I'm wrong and maybe with previous generations (E39) the gap was closer but pitching the E60 against the equivalent A4 it would make more sense - the C6/C7 variant A6 completely outclasses it IMO. I haven't driven the F10 yet but to be fair the interior and even exterior is a big step up.

Anyway, my 2c :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

jca wrote: »

I had forgotten about that. Probably intentionally. Jesus that was a slow pos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

1983 Fiat Mirafiori

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Twas Not wrote: »
    1983 Fiat Mirafiori

I liked the old 'fiori. ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

2013 Opel Astra Estate 1.4 petrol .....SLOW. Thankfully it was a rental.

Advertisement