Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The BIG thread on how to import from Japan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

moonship wrote: »
    Great thread i myst say, thanks OP.
    Because of tsis guide i am strongly considering importing Honda Stream myself. But:
    1. Wouldnt be easier to use tradecarview.com or similar instead involving an agent as per this guide? Any experience?
    2. After a few weeks of checking prices of many Streams on japanese sites and comparing them to carzone/donedeal, either garages in Ireland are importing really the cheapest cars available in Japan (maybe after accidents etc) or tgey just make about 1k per car. Japanese cars seem to be expensive after adding shipping, duty, vat and vrt!

You still have to pay someone to dereg the car in Japan, to transport the car from what ever dealer in Japan you bought from, it works out at around the same as paying an agent but you are paying Japanese dealer prices(which are very good most of the time), I know my car would have cost a lot more if I used tradecarview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

moonship wrote: »
    Great thread i myst say, thanks OP.
    Because of tsis guide i am strongly considering importing Honda Stream myself. But:
    1. Wouldnt be easier to use tradecarview.com or similar instead involving an agent as per this guide? Any experience?
    2. After a few weeks of checking prices of many Streams on japanese sites and comparing them to carzone/donedeal, either garages in Ireland are importing really the cheapest cars available in Japan (maybe after accidents etc) or tgey just make about 1k per car. Japanese cars seem to be expensive after adding shipping, duty, vat and vrt!

Tradecarview is the Japanese equivalent of carzone for mainly dealers there. If you follow auctions you'll sometimes see dealer stock show up there or auction stock on dealers pages on TCV, but generally its dearer than buying from auction. You can contact the dealer and have a haggle with them, but just make sure you do your homework as its not uncommon for people to have been scammed in the past on TCV and not getting their car.

Also the dealers will look after all the dereg for you but the prices are likely to be higher than auction, personally I wouldnt bother with it when you can buy direct.

Car's arent cheap at the moment in Japan, even though the Euro is at an okay rate against the Yen, over the past few months prices have gone crazy depending on the type of car your looking to buy, one thing you definitely need with buying from auction is patience!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Thanks for the info OP, I'm now trawling Japanese car auction sites, even though I can barely afford a pint :)

Out of interest though, how much would shipping usually cost FOB and CIF?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭moonship

farna_boy wrote: »
    Thanks for the info OP, I'm now trawling Japanese car auction sites, even though I can barely afford a pint :)

CIF according to tradecarview and quotation i got from one dealer €1200

farna_boy wrote: »

The only difference between fob and cif is insurance which I've found ranges from 100/150 depending on which company used.

Shipping charges also depend in the company used but at the moment its around 6/700. Bear in mind fob and cif also include transportation charges, if say a dealer on TCV is a good distance from a port this will be included in your quote which can give a higher overall shipping price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Good luck with the new car chris .......looks a stunner. and also thread needs more pics....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Is it safe to import from Japan nowadays with the radiation? Things are pretty bad out there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Is it safe to import from Japan nowadays with the radiation? Things are pretty bad out there at the moment.

Japan's a big place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

CianRyan wrote: »
    Japan's a big place.
    It is but you never know where the cars have been and weather they were contaminated or not.

Even if you look at pics of some auctions the staff that are driving the cars are wearing masks.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    It is but you never know where the cars have been and weather they were contaminated or not.

Even if you look at pics of some auctions the staff that are driving the cars are wearing masks.

Masks are common place in Japanese cities, especially in industrial zones so that's no surprise.

I do know your concern though, a few auction houses have stopped importing and cars from certain areas (close to the plant) can't be shipped, In fact a lot if them just sit where they settled after the disaster.

Thankfully,Fukushima wasn't on the same level as Chernobyl in terms of the area the fall out covered so risk with importing cars with that and the rest in mind is fairly low.

If you're still worried, get Titan Auto Works to buy a Geiger counter. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Look at the bright side.

If your car glows in the dark you will never lose it in a carpark again

• Registered Users Posts: 38 RampantRichie

I found a car on Tradecarview..... marked 1000usd.

Liked the look of it but after shipping, duty, vat, vrt, nct, tyres i'd be nudging 3k. for a car which the dealer said he would drop to 800 usd. Really sounds good when he said 800. not so good when i added everything up.

Revenue calculate the value of the car which I could buy for 560 euro at 2000 euro... i'd nearly go for it if the VRT wasnt so high. VRT is 100 euro more than what I would be paying for the car....

Be very carefull with TCV. Google it and you'll find lots of horror stories of people being stung for money from there, if it seems to good to be true then it most likely is when it comes to TCV, personally I'd avoid at all costs. What car is it you were looking at and how does the price compare to similar model here?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rekcaks

Where abouts in the docks do the cars be collected from?

It depends what customs agent is used to clear the car, different agents/different yards

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sajid.ahmed

hi all i thinking to import car from japan but don't anything about import.i just seen car on website i don't that web site is real or just scam because i ring them they say 1st full payment including delivery its beforward.jp wondering anybody imported befor any good name of the company and all process in dublin please and thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

Chris Heilong took the time to put a thread together on this very topic a while back.

Here you go:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86259725

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

plenty of good cars still available from legitimate sources, with export auction houses verifying cars before they are allowed to auction.

irish based import company http://www.jdmauctionwatch.com/contact-us/

image i seen of a sticker on a recently imported starlet for sale.
    ibl30i.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Up you go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭xlight

As title, I am looking for a Honda Odyssey or Toyota Alphard. I have looked on a few websites but there are only a few of them to choose, so I am thinking about import one from Japan.

Anyone knows much story about how to import one from Japan, I know the transportation is not cheap and there are VAT also VRT for Japan import. Any recommend Japanese website?

Or is it a possible just go to one of the toyota or honda dealer here and ask them to import one here? Will this be more expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged. Have a read of the OP and the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

WOW fair play to ya!
    going to import at same point too, very handy to know all this:)

I'll try give you a rough idea on the Odyssey, here's a 2004 86'k from Monday's auction is USS Yokohama

2m67342.jpg

spwtue.jpg

24bu6g3.jpg

2u7anty.png

Grade 4 which is good although its showing a replacement rear passenger side door on the auction sheet which is strange with it being a 4. Either ways the price on it look's inline with other comparable grade models for the year

460'000JPY is the auction sale price, converted to euro = €3326
    Shipping & agents/Transport/Derge fee's depending on who you use in Japan €1200/1500

So let's say the CIF (Cost/insurance/Freight) Price is €4826,that's everything to get the car to Ireland.
    It's then 10% of this for duty so 482.6, added then to the €4826
    23% Vat on 5308.06 = 1220.978
    €6529.57 Cleared

You then have customs agent clearing fee which is 100/120 depending who is used
    Stevedore unloading fee, again 90 or 115 depending who is used

Once the above are paid the car is free to collect, so €6764.57. You then have to VRT the car which is coming in at €680 from a revenue quote. €7444.57 is what your looking at here and on the road.

You also need to budget for battery/service/tyres (they tend to not be E marked)

Im not sure how the price compare's to what's for sale here but in most cases Japanese car's are present are more expensive to buy and import than what's currently for sale here on the likes of donedeal, but hopefully that give you a bit of a better idea on things

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

5500 wrote: »
    [...] €7444.57 is what your looking at here and on the road.

[...]

Out of curiosity - any troubles with getting an insurance? And how much?

All depends on the car, age , ncb ect. If its a performance car id be making sure I could insure it beford importing anyways. But the likes of a run around people carrier ect I wouldnt imagine you would have many problems

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Actually asked about that particular one. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mhouston

Just as a warning to others, we bought a Honda Stream recently, imported from Japan. Car is great and we got a good deal, But it was broken into in our driveway after a couple of weeks and they tried to hot-wire it. They were unsuccessful so the car was left there with a lot of damage. We're fully comprehensive on the insurance which is good, but since it's been taken away and assessed they tell us it will be between 8 and 12 weeks before they get the parts in from Japan, they can't get them in the EU. What a kicker!

That's bollocks for the most part, there's always parts available much quicker but insurance seem to go the longest route possible.
    It's possible to take the money, buy the parts and have a mechanic of your choice fix it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Almost any part I can get for my Chaser from Toyota Ireland, it usually takes a week, is this HONDA you are asking about parts or just some garage?

Some times Garages will order parts as cheap as possible which means freight by sea and of coarse this is slow. ask them to get the parts by air as its usually only a little more expensive. I get parts from Japan all the time, longest I had to wait was 2 weeks.

Advertisement