Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Akwardness/nervousness In Front Of Someone You Fancy

Options
  • 20-07-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭

There's always that feeling of nervousness, or probably seeming awkward in the presence of a crush. Like yesterday, in a local shop, there's an absolutely gorgeous girl that works there, has only served me once since she started, and doesn't always tend to be at the counter. But, yesterday, she was dealing with someone at the counter, I wasn't served by her, yet, a sense of nervousness came over me. I had to sign for something, couldn't properly sign my name, and ended up dropping a load of change on the floor just before I started to leave. Neither girl at the counter really noticed, but I guess it was a slightly awkward moment anyway. Ok, it doesn't seem like a big deal at all. I mean, I have had more awkward moments in various situations (not with crushes), but I guess I could have fecked up completely yesterday.

Have there been such situations in front of crushes where you have just crumbled, so to speak, and (completely) fecked up things due to awkwardness/nervousness? I cannot think of any other specific awkward moments in front of someone I fancy off the top of my head, but I am sure there have been a good few. Just yesterday, although not too big a deal, made me raise this topic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Signing for your dole in front of someone you fancy is always awkward alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Yeah. I meant to say to my wife "pass us over the bread please" but I actually blurted out "you've ruined my life you cow".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Signing for your dole in front of someone you fancy is always awkward alright.

Dole day is Saturday now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I tried to do the whole rolling start on a bicycle, putting your leg over the crossbar as you set off. I, of course, went flying on my face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I literally forget how to speak in front of someone I fancied before when asking them a question. I tried to speak and just sort of said the same words over and over again. This wouldn't usually happen to me and I always thought that such a situation only happened in movies and if it did happen it would last maybe 3 or 4 seconds and then be fine. No, I literally mumbled the same words for about 20 seconds and she did not interject. Now, 20 seconds may not seem long in your head but count 20 seconds out loud. It's fecking ages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

What were you buying? "Will you bag my sausage roll" seems like a nice way to get the ball rolling...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Awkwardness around someone you fancy normally goes when you leave your teenage years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

It happens.
    There was this girl working in my local shop over a year ago and she would only be there part time. I assume she was in college full time. She was really good looking and really nice. But every time I got to the counter I would struggle to string together an actual sentence that made sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

At a friend's birthday party, a girl he fancied arrived and he answered the door with an excited "hey, happy birthday!" "eh, no, it's your birthday" she said, as gently and kindly as possible, and handed him a bottle of wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

But when I'm with you, I can't seem to find my cool
    Yeah, when I'm with you, I just sit there and drool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'm so awkward around my crush, dropping the binoculars, falling out of the tree, you get the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Senna wrote: »
    I'm so awkward around my crush, dropping the binoculars, falling out of the tree, you get the idea.

Is that you George McFly??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I bumped into a crush of mine when I was in college, in the hallway. He had this really, REALLY intense gaze, and always seemed crazy comfortable in his surroundings. Cue an odd mix of him chatting comfortably, me stammering awkwardly, him copping on that I was awkward, a strange silence ensuing- and then I offered him the marker I was capping and uncapping nervously in my hands. I sort of just said "Here, d'ya want this marker?" He looked confused and took it, and I immediately turned around and walked away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

I bumped into a crush of mine when I was in college, in the hallway. He had this really, REALLY intense gaze, and always seemed crazy comfortable in his surroundings. Cue an odd mix of him chatting comfortably, me stammering awkwardly, him copping on that I was awkward, a strange silence ensuing- and then I offered him the marker I was capping and uncapping nervously in my hands. I sort of just said "Here, d'ya want this marker?" He looked confused and took it, and I immediately turned around and walked away.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

You know you've nailed it, when after having a great laugh/hysterical time with a girl at a party or house, and then rather suddenly it all goes quiet.

And everything becomes nervous giddyness. The best nights.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Funny I was terrible for that when I was younger. We're talking about being fully self-conscious but unable to make words nervous.

Since then I've worked abroad and stood in front of groups of serious people and talked to very pretty girls and, over all developed a lot of confidence.

Back in the home town for the first time in half a decade. Walking down the street only to see pretty girl from my teens. Think to myself, there she is, haven't seen her in ages. Then from somewhere completely forgotten comes this avalanche of nerves and by the time my standing face to face I've pretty much lost the ability to speak.

At this stage in life it was kinda nice to feel like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I get this a lot. But tell them to just relax and picture me not naked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I was working in a garage when I stayed back one evening doing a bit of work on my classic car. The bosses cousin dropped her car in to be worked on the next morning. I was just finished so I offered her a lift home. Now this one was an absolute stunner. About 5'10", great body, and just flawless.
    Anyway, dropped her home and had great craic with her on the way. So a few days later she comes in to collect her car. I won't lie, I was looking forward to it. She strolled in, and came straight over with a smile and started chatting away to me.
    I was gone. Hot flushes, my face was burning, and I lost all power of speech. I literally mumbled something unintelligible and stuck my head under the bonnet of the jeep I was working on.
    The bosses sister told me after that she was gonna ask me out for a drink......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

If I feel nervous or awkward around someone I won't do things like blush or stammer, I go the complete opposite direction and overcompensate, can't shut myself up, turn into a real smart arse, and nodding and grinning the whole time. I think a lot of it is because I tend to be attracted to shyer, quieter people (both romantically and for friends) so I know I have to put the leg work in if I want to get anywhere, but jesus I'm cringing looking at myself a lot of the time, because I know how I'm coming across and it's totally different to how I usually act. It generally works out fairly OK though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Trebor176 wrote: »
    There's always that feeling of nervousness, or probably seeming awkward in the presence of a crush. Like yesterday, in a local shop, there's an absolutely gorgeous girl that works there, has only served me once since she started, and doesn't always tend to be at the counter. But, yesterday, she was dealing with someone at the counter, I wasn't served by her, yet, a sense of nervousness came over me. I had to sign for something, couldn't properly sign my name, and ended up dropping a load of change on the floor just before I started to leave. Neither girl at the counter really noticed, but I guess it was a slightly awkward moment anyway. Ok, it doesn't seem like a big deal at all. I mean, I have had more awkward moments in various situations (not with crushes), but I guess I could have fecked up completely yesterday.

Have there been such situations in front of crushes where you have just crumbled, so to speak, and (completely) fecked up things due to awkwardness/nervousness? I cannot think of any other specific awkward moments in front of someone I fancy off the top of my head, but I am sure there have been a good few. Just yesterday, although not too big a deal, made me raise this topic.

That is a normal reaction for a lot of people,
    both young and old(even elderly).
    Most people are a little bit shy,
    but once you've broken the ice
    and if she likes you ,you'll be her best customer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

Yep.

I have too many stories about my own awkwardness! I have run away , I have fallen over a bicycle, I have tipped a guys shoulder then not been able to breathe when he turned around, I have almost curled up into the fetal position (this last one turned into a relationship). I tend to sit like a cat with knees curled up like a little girl protecting my vulnerable sides from predators. Yes my brain does this.

I forget the guy's name if I REALLY like him!!?? I crack nervous jokes and don't know what to say. Usually I just run away though.

If I get really lucky he finds it cute.

I can be guarded. I can behave irrationally. There are a couple of people on here who know me in real life and have seen how I am.

This is my ****..... with more gasping for air before I become water.

Also i was on a date once where the guy was so nervous he smoked weed before hand. It was the longest date for me quick for him! He was a friend for ages so I did not know why he was so nervous. This was a few years back. We are mates now. We dated for a while and I only found out about it way after. Guys tend to use alcohol which can make things even more surreal and make you more nervous.

fleet_admiral
    Awkwardness around someone you fancy normally goes when you leave your teenage years

Nor..mal..? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Dole day is Saturday now ?

Get your pedantry away from my snide putdowns you fiend. :mad:

Advertisement