Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a samsung s4 phone

Options
  • 18-07-2014 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

HI guys i'm looking to buy a Samsung galaxy s4 might buy one on adverts i know nothing about phones someone was saying there are two models of s4 ?

can anyone tell me if one is better than the other ?

thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Nonkeymuts wrote: »
    HI guys i'm looking to buy a Samsung galaxy s4 might buy one on adverts i know nothing about phones someone was saying there are two models of s4 ?

can anyone tell me if one is better than the other ?

thanks .

You should be looking for the 4g enabled i9505, rather than the i9500.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Nonkeymuts

corwill wrote: »
    You should be looking for the 4g enabled i9505, rather than the i9500.

I9505 grand il look for that ;)

Im coming from a iPhone 32gb can you tell me if the internal memory is plenty as i hear half is missing on bloatware ?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Admldj

I9505 grand il look for that ;)

Im coming from a iPhone 32gb can you tell me if the internal memory is plenty as i hear half is missing on bloatware ?

Internal memory is ok i think theres about 8gb useable, get a good sd card, ive got a 32gb in mine and dont think ill ever fill it! great phone by the way you'll enjoy it ,you'll enjoy the bloatware for a few days too then you'll turn most of it off!

Admldj wrote: »
    Internal memory is ok i think theres about 8gb useable, get a good sd card, ive got a 32gb in mine and dont think ill ever fill it! great phone by the way you'll enjoy it ,you'll enjoy the bloatware for a few days too then you'll turn most of it off!

8gb would that hold many apps ? Will any apps go over onto sd ?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Admldj

8gb would that hold many apps ? Will any apps go over onto sd ?

Most apps from the play store can be stored on the sd, the pre installed seem to be stuck on internal

• Advertisement

Admldj wrote: »
    Most apps from the play store can be stored on the sd, the pre installed seem to be stuck on internal

Ah well thats something so.i was afraid id run out of space after about 10 apps ðŸ‘.its strange they never released the 32gb into Europe .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Ah well thats something so.i was afraid id run out of space after about 10 apps ðŸ‘.its strange they never released the 32gb into Europe .

My mate was moaning about her internal storage on the phone the other day, she came from IPhone to S4, she popped in an SD and it was still showing full, she hadn't moved the 5gb of photos and movies to the SD card.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

If you're buying a second hand S4 make sure it's in good condition, I swapped a tablet for an S4 a few weeks back and it's a piece of crap, rebooting randomly, and freezing daily.
    Tried hard reset with no change. Just beware OP if you're buying a used phone.

Fieldog wrote: »
    My mate was moaning about her internal storage on the phone the other day, she came from IPhone to S4, she popped in an SD and it was still showing full, she hadn't moved the 5gb of photos and movies to the SD card.... :)
    And she sorted it now ?

tallus wrote: »
    If you're buying a second hand S4 make sure it's in good condition, I swapped a tablet for an S4 a few weeks back and it's a piece of crap, rebooting randomly, and freezing daily.
    Tried hard reset with no change. Just beware OP if you're buying a used phone.

Really ?? Thats not good did you contact the guy you got it from ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Re the memory, my ~55 downloaded apps(130 total or so including system) is only taking up 2.4 GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Really ?? Thats not good did you contact the guy you got it from ?

Called many many times, texted too, eventually I gave up and left him negative feedback. It has soured my views on buying used phones from adverts.ie because it's not the first time I have had an issue with a used device. I have been buying and selling stuff there for years but I tend to go for high end phones and it's not good to be left with a dodgy device.

And she sorted it now ?

Yeah,

She just had to copy over her pics and videos to SD...

tallus wrote: »
    Called many many times, texted too, eventually I gave up and left him negative feedback. It has soured my views on buying used phones from adverts.ie because it's not the first time I have had an issue with a used device. I have been buying and selling stuff there for years but I tend to go for high end phones and it's not good to be left with a dodgy device.

No it's not that is dirty and I hope it falls back on him !! There was a guy on here swapped his htc m8 for a s5 on gumtree turned out the s5 was a clone ..

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Re the memory, my ~55 downloaded apps(130 total or so including system) is only taking up 2.4 GB.

What's a 55 ? That's brill so not much storage been used there def going to look at s4 :) that's my budget for now .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

What's a 55 ? That's brill so not much storage been used there def going to look at s4 :) that's my budget for now .

The number of apps iv downloaded.

sentient_6 wrote: »
    The number of apps iv downloaded.

Oh sorry I misread it ;) my bad .

Now I'm confused guy selling Samsung s4 on adverts saying the 19500 is better than 19505 this is his reply below ?

Yes its a much better model its basically the brain of the phone, 4g is the broadband speed and at the moment it only is available with Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Now I'm confused guy selling Samsung s4 on adverts saying the 19500 is better than 19505 this is his reply below ?

Yes its a much better model its basically the brain of the phone, 4g is the broadband speed and at the moment it only is available with Vodafone
    I have 4g and I'm with 3 so I assume o2 has 4g as well. That man is talking out of his ass

I have 4g and I'm with 3 so I assume o2 has 4g as well. That man is talking out of his ass

Sorry for sounding like a plank but are they as good as each other ?

I'm an iPhone user so haven't a clue when it comes to aos .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Sorry for sounding like a plank but are they as good as each other ?

I'm an iPhone user so haven't a clue when it comes to aos .

The i9500 doesn't have 4g and has different internals. It's performance is comparable to the i9505. 4g is available on Vodafone, Metoer/E-Mobile & Three. O2 has been purchased by Three & doesn't currently have a 4g service.

Simi wrote: »
    The i9500 doesn't have 4g and has different internals. It's performance is comparable to the i9505. 4g is available on Vodafone, Metoer/E-Mobile & Three. O2 has been purchased by Three & doesn't currently have a 4g service.

In short what one would you go for ?

Depends if you have 4g or not, or want 4g down the line... ?

As both phones are the same, other than one having 4g AFAIK...

Ah feck the Samsung, just buy a Nexus 5... :D

http://www.google.ie/nexus/5/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Depends if 4g is important to you. The difference in speed can be up to 10x in areas of high coverage, but after next month you'll be paying a premium for it no matter what network your on. The i9505 is better for custom firmware/modding which may mean nothing to you right now, but if you're technically minded might be important down the line.

If you've been offered the i9500 at a reasonable price i.e. <€250, and 4g is of no importance to you, then by all means go for it. I sold my i9505 yesterday after owning it for a year, to buy a OnePlus One. The S4 is a nice light weight phone with a beautiful screen, and is an excellent introductory phone for those switching from iOS to Android. I'm sure you'll love it.

one plus one wow i'm way behind in the phone department lol .

whats the going rate for a second hand s4 ?

think if i remember the guy wanted 390 ?

fieldog whats it like ?

fieldog whats it like ?

Nexus 5 is a fantastic phone for the money, I'm big into standard Android OS though, some people like all the bells and whistles (motion tracking your eyes. Heart monitors etc) like Samsung or HTC have, but I prefer the stock OS over Manufacturer bloatware that comes with HTCs, Sony's and Sammy phones...

It may not suit everyone though as it has no expandable SD Slot, so if you were to opt for one maybe look at the 32gb model, its also sim free and 4g so you can go that way with it if you want...

For my music on it I have all my album's backed up to the cloud on Google music, I can access it on my phone, laptops, tablets, chromecasts etc

Camerawise I'm not sure would it be as good as an S4 but the Google Camera I find pretty good, here, have a picture of a cat.... :)

HI guys i ended up going for s4 liking it so far few things i cant seem to sort out .

if i get text message the same message also comes in on viber is there a way i can stop this ?

also is it possible to stop viber pic saving to my pic gallery its so annoying ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Just got an so and I love it... It is just so fast

• Advertisement

Just got an so and I love it... It is just so fast

What did you get an s4 ?

Advertisement