Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing up/ Cleaning dishes with COLD water

Options
  • 17-07-2014 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Does it matter whether the water is hot or cold when you're washing dishes (from a health/hygiene perspective), assuming you're using fairy anti-bacterial washing up liquid and a regular yellow and green sponge?

Comments

Nope. Unless you're using boiling water then it's not gonna kill those germs any faster.

Hot water will remove the dirt more quicklier but isn't more hygienic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Warm water is more comfortable on the hands which means that you're more likely not to hurry so you'll do a better job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Nope. Unless you're using boiling water then it's not gonna kill those germs any faster.

Hot water will remove the dirt more quicklier but isn't more hygienic.

I thought the same myself, any evidence?

Dermighty wrote: »
    I thought the same myself, any evidence?

Evidence that boiling water kills germs but warm water doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I find if the water isn't hot it's it's hard to get grease off stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Elegant Elliot Offen

Im on the paper plates meself .

Paper plates FTW.

i use hot water when washing up and bubbles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

There's a straight dope answer for this. They're talking about handwashing but it's the same principle.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1935/whats-more-important-in-cleaning-soap-or-hot-water
    in summary: Hot water is better than cold. Cold water is better than none. Soapy water is better than plain water. And you and your wife need to find some hobbies if this is what you're arguing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Im on the paper plates meself .

Paper plates FTW.

Plastic knives and forks. Sometimes I just eat over the bin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

I'm gone way past paper and plastic.
    I've hooked up an IV

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

conorh91 wrote: »
    There's a straight dope answer for this.

"Hot water is better than cold. Cold water is better than none. Soapy water is better than plain water".

Hans Datdodishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

All plates get put on the floor for Sammy to give the once over before being put in the dishwasher. Why they end in the dishwasher is beyond me as Sammy leaves them spotless.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    "Hot water is better than cold. Cold water is better than none. Soapy water is better than plain water".

Hans Datdodishes.

Turn mild green (Fairy Liquid)? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    All plates get put on the floor for Sammy to give the once over before being put in the dishwasher. Why they end in the dishwasher is beyond me as Sammy leaves them spotless.

Puked in my mouth a little bit

WilyCoyote wrote: »

Your wife sounds like a keeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

As has already been pointed out, hot water cleans quicklier.

Using cold water to wash or rinse dishes is detrimental to the environment due to the fact that you'll use more water if it is cold rather than hot.

You have to spare the water.

dee_mc wrote: »
    Puked in my mouth a little bit

Just hang on in there Dee. Put false teeth on footstool and Sammy will do the biz ........... providing she also doesn't let a technicolour plasmic yawn atop :D

Your wife sounds like a keeper.

She's a local girl ........... American football has no goalposts. But she twirled baton as a kid. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

catallus wrote: »
    As has already been pointed out, hot water cleans quicklier.

Using cold water to wash or rinse dishes is detrimental to the environment due to the fact that you'll use more water if it is cold rather than hot.

You have to spare the water.

But you have to use energy to heat the water.

Swings and roundabouts, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

c_man wrote: »
    Plastic knives and forks. Sometimes I just eat over the bin jacks.
    Saves emptying the bin.

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Swings and roundabouts, no?

No. It's the exact opposite!

No. It's the exact opposite!

Slides and monkey bars?

Precisely!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Precisely!
    To what tolerance? 'Precisely' is a big claim...

Tolerance? If we let people tolerate the waste of our most precious resource then we only have ourselves to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Speaking of Fairy anti-bac washing up liquid, it's getting harder to get hold of. I've given up on Dunnes as they never have it. With pets I prefer to use an anti-bac liquid.

This is why we need a dedicated detergent forum. I could finally be a Mod!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭LizzieJones

Dermighty wrote: »
    Does it matter whether the water is hot or cold when you're washing dishes (from a health/hygiene perspective), assuming you're using fairy anti-bacterial washing up liquid and a regular yellow and green sponge?

I've used cold-ish water in the summer during a heatwave using a clean j-cloth and sunlight dish soap. Haven't died yet.

We haven't turned on the gas heating in about two months so anything which is washed by hand is washed in cold water (I wash stuff under the running tap). No way am I wasting money on gas or electricity to wash a few dishes.

If the heat is on to warm the house I'll use the hot tap for washing of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Speaking of Fairy anti-bac washing up liquid, it's getting harder to get hold of. I've given up on Dunnes as they never have it. With pets I prefer to use an anti-bac liquid.

Plenty of cheaper alternatives. In any case regular soap is almost as good at killing bacteria. "Anti-bacterial" is mostly a marketing gimmick, you might as well buy special "hydrating" water.

Advertisement