Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dettori

Options
  • 15-07-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Frankie is headed to the states to ride at Saratoga. was He fired by the Qutari's ? He has looked like a lost sheep since Godolphin showed him the door.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

Wesley Ward convinced him to come over to ride for him on the weekend as he was probably impressed with how he handled Undrafted in the July Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Just for the weekend based on what Im reading. Its very sad to see a man like him fall from grace. Also its no secret that he has been hit severely in the pocket since the godolphin departure and its one of the reasons his home is up for sale to downsize.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭droidman123

Frankie is headed to the states to ride at Saratoga. was He fired by the Qutari's ? He has looked like a lost sheep since Godolphin showed him the door.

Hope he stays in Saratoga, I could never stand the guy.good jockey,but his personality just does my head in,he thinks he is a witty,funny character but he isn't,he he just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIVE2_THREE

Just for the weekend based on what Im reading. Its very sad to see a man like him fall from grace. Also its no secret that he has been hit severely in the pocket since the godolphin departure and its one of the reasons his home is up for sale to downsize.

His situation with Al Shaqab has always been a confusing one. He was/is the stable rider but only if the horse was a non Hannon trained horse.Al Shaqab has Asyad and Jarada still entered in the Irish oaks at this stage. and both are none Hannon trained horses. one trained by Stoute and the other by Royer-Dupre.
    It's hard to believe that they would let their stable rider go to the states when they have two entered in a group one.

His situation with Al Shaqab has always been a confusing one. He was/is the stable rider but only if the horse was a non Hannon trained horse.Al Shaqab has Asyad and Jarada still entered in the Irish oaks at this stage. and both are none Hannon trained horses. one trained by Stoute and the other by Royer-Dupre.
    It's hard to believe that they would let their stable rider go to the states when they have two entered in a group one.

Interesting to see how this pans out. Could it be those runners are unlikely to run? or could he be out the door?

• Advertisement

Interesting to see how this pans out. Could it be those runners are unlikely to run? or could he be out the door?

Looking at their upcoming entries they have the Hannon trained Osaila cross entered in the 8:10 at Doncaster on the 17th with Frankie set to ride and the 2:30 at Newbury on the 18th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Hope he stays in Saratoga, I could never stand the guy.good jockey,but his personality just does my head in,he thinks he is a witty,funny character but he isn't,he he just annoying.

Cant stand him and the hype around him. Sure 7 in a row is some feat but has done terrible since with the top horses. Loads of people quick to question Joey at 19, yet this muppet seems to have gone under the radar for the last number of years.

In terms of wit and entertainment I would put him in the Matty Bachelor camp, if yiz want to jump around and pull stupid faces become Lee Evans impersonators cause yiz are **** jockeys.

hucklebuck wrote: »
    Cant stand him and the hype around him. Sure 7 in a row is some feat but has done terrible since with the top horses. Loads of people quick to question Joey at 19, yet this muppet seems to have gone under the radar for the last number of years.

In terms of wit and entertainment I would put him in the Matty Bachelor camp, if yiz want to jump around and pull stupid faces become Lee Evans impersonators cause yiz are **** jockeys.

Along those same lines I've been saying the same thing about Aidan for over a decade. People often talk about how many top horses He has but often forget the Saeed Bin Suroor has under performed year after year with his top stock.
    If Saeed worked for anybody else He would have been fired 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ComplyOrDie

hucklebuck wrote: »
    Cant stand him and the hype around him. Sure 7 in a row is some feat but has done terrible since with the top horses.

In fairness Hucklebuck what top horses are you talking about? Richard Hughes hardly set the world alight when he was working for the Prince and now that he's in a very consistent yard booting in the winners (A lot of confidence) he's on a list of decent jockeys (don’t mean to take away from RH, just using him as an example), Your ammunition and the trainers backing you have a major impact on how well you do.

Love him or loathe him to be fair he is one of the few jockeys that can actually talk in front of a camera. I remember some media course in the UK where they wanted to send the likes of Ryan Moore etc as jockeys are notoriously bad in front of the camera. I would have said Frankie was great for promoting racing up until his cocaine issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

His situation with Al Shaqab has always been a confusing one. He was/is the stable rider but only if the horse was a non Hannon trained horse.

The owners obviously decided to let Hughsie continue to ride the Hannon horses because it was mid-season when Frankie got the contract. Frankie now has first choice on all their runners incl. Hannons.

Racing is full of bores and chancers and Frankie is a pleasant change from all of that. Can't believe someone compared him to Matty Bachelor. :eek: Frankie will be a huge loss to racing when he goes. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

I've always been a fan to be honest. A jockey room full of Ryan Moore types and you may as well be dealing with actual robots (not taking away from ryan hes is an amazing jockey, just has the personality of a ham sandwich)

Dettori has definatly given out some poor rides in the last few years though seems to have lost his sparkle

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    The owners obviously decided to let Hughsie continue to ride the Hannon horses because it was mid-season when Frankie got the contract. Frankie now has first choice on all their runners incl. Hannons.

Racing is full of bores and chancers and Frankie is a pleasant change from all of that. Can't believe someone compared him to Matty Bachelor. :eek: Frankie will be a huge loss to racing when he goes. IMO.
    I see both sides. I can see why people call him overrated and I can see why people like him.in his early days people were putting him and King lester in the same sentence. But these days He has lost a lot of the air that once filled his sails.Looking at his accomplishments I think he hasn't lived up to expectations. winning only one Derby and being named champion jockey only three times despite ridding most of his career for one of the two superpowers of thoroughbred racing.

Gregk961 wrote: »
    I've always been a fan to be honest. A jockey room full of Ryan Moore types and you may as well be dealing with actual robots (not taking away from ryan hes is an amazing jockey, just has the personality of a ham sandwich)

Dettori has definatly given out some poor rides in the last few years though seems to have lost his sparkle

Ryan gets a lot of grief for not being a media whore but Lester was the same way.He didn't talk much to the media and let his winning do the talking for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

whatever about frankie , how long can Frank Spencer keep drawing his salary ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭droidman123

Ryan gets a lot of grief for not being a media whore but Lester was the same way.He didn't talk much to the media and let his winning do the talking for him.

someone once described lester of "having a face like a well kept graveyard". I take the point about the piggots and the moores of this world being somewhat dour, but there just something about dettori that annoys me, once I see him being interviewd on tv I reach for the remote control. there has been many great "characters" in racing over the years, but imo dettori is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Crisford finished Dettori off, he thought Al Zarooni was the business, it was the start of the end for Dettori when they drafted in those super jocks de Sousa and Barcelona. This dented his confidence in a major way, When the confidence goes in these top jocks, its not a pretty sight.

Who in the name of God will give Crisford a horse to ruin, granted he was only a puppet with the ear of the Sheikh, but that Godolphin operation the past few years makes the Shark look a champion trainer.

As for Spencer, what an enigma that boy is. The most one dimensional jockey riding, almost certain to find all the trouble going in a race trying to come from last to first. Would prefer an apprentice claiming 10 lbs anytime over Spencer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Super jockey. Over 200 group 1 wins and people question him. Very few jockeys in the same league as him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Super jockey. Over 200 group 1 wins and people question him. Very few jockeys in the same league as him.

But people are mostly saying, a) He's a bit of a jerk/media whore and /or b) He is now gone to the dogs. You could argue with the first..... Hard to argue with the second.

As fallon said you dont become a bad jockey overnight its just the horses you are riding are not as good. Give me frankie over 90 percent of jockeys in a group one any day of the week

• Advertisement

And of those 200 Group 1 wins only ONE Derby and only ONE Irish Derby that's a stark record given who rode for most of his career. Frankie Dettori and Saeed Bin Suroor have drastically under performed with the top shelf stock they have been provided with in their careers. for some reason people overlook that OFTEN

As fallon said you dont become a bad jockey overnight its just the horses you are riding are not as good. Give me frankie over 90 percent of jockeys in a group one any day of the week

What is He 1 for 30 in the Derby ? any day of the week except the first Saturday in June right ? LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

What is He 1 for 30 in the Derby ? any day of the week except the first Saturday in June right ? LOL

Tony McCoy has a similar record in the Grand National but there's no doubting his ability. 7 winners in 1 day at Royal Ascot is simply amazing. Dettori is an excellent jockey and seems like a genuinely nice guy. Willie Carson won 4 English Derbys and most would agree that Dettori is the better rider. Joseph O'Brien has won 2 English Derbys for heaven's sake so it's really not a good way to measure ability.

And of those 200 Group 1 wins only ONE Derby and only ONE Irish Derby that's a stark record given who rode for most of his career. Frankie Dettori and Saeed Bin Suroor have drastically under performed with the top shelf stock they have been provided with in their careers. for some reason people overlook that OFTEN

you have a major hard on for the derbys and aob/job. The premier mile and half race in europe without doubt is the arc. How mant times have your heros won that ? Frankie did it three times. You must be on a windup.

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Tony McCoy has a similar record in the Grand National but there's no doubting his ability. 7 winners in 1 day at Royal Ascot is simply amazing. Dettori is an excellent jockey and seems like a genuinely nice guy. Willie Carson won 4 English Derbys and most would agree that Dettori is the better rider. Joseph O'Brien has won 2 English Derbys for heaven's sake so it's really not a good way to measure ability.

I disagree. JOB rides for Coolmore in what will be a short career and won 2. FD rode first call for Godolphin for 20 YEARS during those 20 years Godolphin was one of the two powerhouses in the world of flat racing. When Willie rode for Shadwell they were not a world power but He still won 2 for them. As far as Mc Coy goes I don't think his struggles with the grand national is on par with Dettori and His weak Derby record. Notice I mentioned Dettori's record in the Epsom Derby and the Irish Derby. Despite Mc Coy's record in the grand national there is still little doubt that He is the best in his code in the world. Have you ever looked at Dettori at any point in his career and said that He was indisputably the best flat jockey in the world ?

you have a major hard on for the derbys and aob/job. The premier mile and half race in europe without doubt is the arc. How mant times have your heros won that ? Frankie did it three times. You must be on a windup.

No, I judge Jockeys By Classic wins. because you only get one crack at it. there is a reason why Lester Piggot's 9 Derbies are always mentioned.

So arcs dont matter ? Lol

So arcs dont matter ? Lol

Sure they do. and last I looked Lester won 3 including 2 in a row on the only horse to ever do it. Alleged. I sure hope you're not comparing Frankie to Lester.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ComplyOrDie

And of those 200 Group 1 wins only ONE Derby and only ONE Irish Derby that's a stark record given who rode for most of his career.

In fairness FIVE2_THREE if that’s how you define a Jockey then you need to open your eyes. Gordon Richards won nearly 5,000 races including 4/5 classics in one year and the Derby eluded him for 20 odd years. We understand he may not be your favourite jockey and he certainly isn’t mine but if you ride 200 G1 winners all around the world (especially for an outfit like the Blues) then you are closer to the top than to the bottom. What exactly has Barcelona/De souse and the others done since they took over? Won a ledger thats about it. I’d have Frankie before I’d have the two above any day of the week even if it were Derby day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 The Hurricane

Cant believe some of the negative comments here about in my opinion the best jockey of all time. If i had a decent racehorse Frankie would ride him everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. Hes not a retained jockey by a big stable anymore hence the lack of quality rides. Hes a controversial character who's had his problems aired out in the media which everyone knows about. Hes one of the main reasons Flat racing is so popular and on the map. I've never seen anyone try so hard on a horse when they are in contention or creative taking a chance going the awkward way to get a gap and know when to go and when to not. When he went through the card in Ascot 3 or 4 of those horses were quality the rest were average his talent and ability as a jockey got them over the line. I don't think anyone else could do it to be honest I agree hes not got a great record in the derby but has he not won nearly every other classic there is in England America France Germany Italy etc ? The best horse he ever rode Lammtarra died the other day won the derby Walter Swinburne had the ride in derby , but he went on to win the King George and the Arch with Frankie on board. Hes ridden so many great horses in the past and of higher breeding quality. I was 19 when I walked into the bookies on a Saturday as a Galway student with 10 pounds. I walked out with just over 5k solely because of Frankie Dettori that's the most I ever won and I don't believe any other jockey will go through the card at a premium meeting like that again. I met him at the curragh racecourse said hello and had a brief chat he was rushing for the weights room and made a few stops getting photos taken with kids and their folks seemed like a genuine guy. I remember him winning after he was nearly killed in a plane crash how emotional he was and how grateful to the person who pulled him out, sometimes comes across a cocky but to do the job he does confidence is key. Best flat jockey in the world all things considered if hes riding a half decent horse.

Advertisement