Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How excruciatingly annoying is Brian Kerr's commentary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

geeksauce wrote: »
    Reminds me of Sid Waddell, most normal people find him unbearable to listen too, however the chances of him being sacked are ruined by a few of the less normal people thinking he is wonderful and hilarious.

I may be able to tolerate Brian if he changed his accent whilst commentating but alas I believe I may never find out if he is tolerable as the accent doesn't seem to bother him. (just 99% of the rest of the worlds population)

You want him to change his accent whilst on air. Ah now. What are you looking for, someone with a mid-Atlantic voice

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Funny how no-one demands that Michael Muircheartaigh, Brian Carthy or Marty Morrisey change their accents, but as soon as there's a Dublin accent on the TV it has to be 'tailored'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Funny how no-one demands that Michael Muircheartaigh, Brian Carthy or Marty Morrisey change their accents, but as soon as there's a Dublin accent on the TV it has to be 'tailored'.

I was in Cork when Paul Doolin was announced as the manager for Cork City and pretty much every local radio station had to comment on his accent and mention how it wouldn't go down well in Cork.

There's a lot of very small people in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 16,516 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Compared to George Hamilton and his Oh-Zeal for Ozil and the generally shoddy attempts from most of the Irish pundits/commentators, he's much better
    Hamilton speaks fluent German and has talked many time about how he always makes a point of talking to a native speaker of the language of the country to get the pronunciation as accurate as possible.

About the only thing Hamilton does well is get the names right (he doesn't seem to understand the offside rule or the concept of away goals), he only sounds so different because the other commentators don't bother to make the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, all the people clamouring for Dunphy, Giles and Brady to change their accent, it's hard to keep track of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Could be worse could be RODDY COLLINS !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭KungPao

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Yeah, all the people clamouring for Dunphy, Giles and Brady to change their accent, it's hard to keep track of.
    But they already have nice "normal" accents.

How did that howiye get a job with that accent

KungPao wrote: »

Do they? They all have Dublin accents. And I'm not exactly fond of Brady's either. The fact is not everyone has a sonorous voice. When you're a broadcaster that matters. It's perfectly valid to find a voice grating and nothing to do with snobbery, regions or anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Flem31

How did that howiye get a job with that accent

He got the job because he knows what he's talking about......if that criteria was applied to all co-commentators, there would be far fewer of them.....and that wouldn't be such a bad thing imo....

If his accent is such an issue....bye bye to Kenny and Ritchie......and hopefully Ray also.....
    Maybe everyone in RTE should be signed up to Speech and Drama classes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭KungPao

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Do they? They all have Dublin accents. And I'm not exactly fond of Brady's either. The fact is not everyone has a sonorous voice. When you're a broadcaster that matters. It's perfectly valid to find a voice grating and nothing to do with snobbery, regions or anything else.
    Giles and Dunphy have nice soft accents to my ear. Chippy is a more "working class", but I don't see any problem with that.

RTE seem to have a system anyway...for Soccer the experts must be from Dublin and not have a D4 accent. For Rugby, the more upper class the better (even the anchor has a well-to-do English accent), and for GAA, Dubs are banned from the studio.

Now, I don't watch GAA or Rugby at all, so I may be talking out of my backside! But at a glance this seems to be the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Aubrey loves Joe

He kept Alkin quiet. That will do for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

You mean they have accents like your own...

I think hes great, very entertaining and was a great manager too.
    As for Paul Doolin I cant see what that point has to do with the thread. If Shamrock Rovers were being managed by someone with a strong Cork accent there might be a few on air jokes about it, big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Knowledgeable about football
    Witty
    Pronouces names well
    Can explain and dictate the goings on during the match

That's Tim Vickery right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

With Billo stepping down now's the time for a cabinet re-shuffle. Kerr in as main co-commentator, send Ray Houghton to the back benches. I can imagine Rays reaction...."you took the wrong option there...."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I was in Cork when Paul Doolin was announced as the manager for Cork City and pretty much every local radio station had to comment on his accent and mention how it wouldn't go down well in Cork.

There's a lot of very small people in this country

I thought the leprachauns were extinct?

Anyway, Brian Kerr is good, much better than Peter 'The Robot' Collins.

Flem31 wrote: »
    He got the job because he knows what he's talking about......if that criteria was applied to all co-commentators, there would be far fewer of them.....and that wouldn't be such a bad thing imo....

If his accent is such an issue....bye bye to Kenny and Ritchie......and hopefully Ray also.....
    Maybe everyone in RTE should be signed up to Speech and Drama classes

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I like Brian Kerr , he can be funny but he also has great knowlegde of the game . He is much better then most of the commentators out there .

Giles and Dunphy have nice soft accents to my ear. Chippy is a more "working class", but I don't see any problem with that.

RTE seem to have a system anyway...for Soccer the experts must be from Dublin and not have a D4 accent. For Rugby, the more upper class the better (even the anchor has a well-to-do English accent), and for GAA, Dubs are banned from the studio.

Now, I don't watch GAA or Rugby at all, so I may be talking out of my backside! But at a glance this seems to be the way.

I think you are thinking a little more deeply about this than anyone at RTE is.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,017 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Stephen Alkin/Brian Kerr combo is the stuff of nightmares when it comes to professional sports broadcasting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Are people really that stupid as to base their opinion of a person solely on their accent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Hidalgo wrote: »
    You want him to change his accent whilst on air. Ah now. What are you looking for, someone with a mid-Atlantic voice

No not at all just anyone that doesn't have his accent. And to be fair if he was going to change it whilst on air I would recommend he changes it full time. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭baldbear

Hes a geat commentator and knows his stuff. Alot of people here judging him on his accent yis big "floopy head " eejits.

• Site Banned Posts: 65 ✭✭Cerveja69

'e purra gra'e ball into the box dere. Wirra birra luck dey cud get true dis gayim.

I like him though but you'd think working in media he'd stop with the "purra" carry on! Better than Jim "It was always going wide" Beglin anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

I never thought there was anything wrong with his voice. He has a great knowledge of and enthuasism for the game. Instead of listening to waffle and cliches it is good to hear someone with a good technical understanding

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Kerr makes a game worth watching even if it's crap.

People saying he sounds like a knacker/scobe whatever, projecting every negative feeling they have about the worst person they can imagine with that accent onto the man because he speaks similarly? It's not like he's drooling on the mic repeating 'spaaare changgge budddd'.

He speaks clearly, is obviously the most passionate man about football in the organisation and some people here would prefer to listen to Peter-Cardboard-Cutout-Collins who doesn't even sound like a human, should be narrating over operas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

...even the anchor has a well-to-do English accent...
    Tom McGurk has an English accent now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

baldbear wrote: »
    Hes a geat commentator and knows his stuff. Alot of people here judging him on his accent yis big "floopy head " eejits.

He has a poor understanding of the game as well as a chalk scratching the blackboard type voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Kerr is dreadful.

I might be in the minority here, but I pay my tv licence and I think that the least that can be expected of the state broadcaster is to employ people that have a solid grasp of the English language.

There's nothing worse than listening to him 'He done well there' etc it really is awful.

Oh, and his accent is horrible. If it was a D4 accent it would be perfectly acceptable to dislike it, just because its a Dublin working class accent doesn't mean its above reproach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Macavity. wrote: »
    He has a poor understanding of the game as well as a chalk scratching the blackboard type voice.
    Seriously? There's more knowledge and understanding in Kerr's pinky finger than the collective rest of RTE.

Advertisement