Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Lamb Prices- esp Store Lambs.

• 08-07-2014 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭

Just updating from the long running Spring Lamb price thread which really dealt with Fat lamb\factory prices.
    Opening this thread for the lads like meself with the middling land that sell store lambs to the real farmers to fatten;).
    Local Marts to me would be Dowra,Manorhamilton and Drumshanbo.
    Haven't stood in a sale yet but heard good quality forward stores were good trade in Dowra last Sat,up about a fiver a head on same time last yr.
    Feel free to contribute,even throw up factory talk/prices:).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of weight & price are you talking?
    This is the first year we've lambs left at this stage, sadly they were bought at foot in March, so wouldn't know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

No prob,as I said I wasnt in Dowra but a man whose stock I know sold his strongest lambs,would be good Suffolk x and texel x ram stores,would be 35 to 38 kg approx and he avg about 72 euro which he said would be a fiver up on this time last yr for same lambs.There were plenty of northern buyers in Dowra too...can see a steady store lamb trade for next month,with all the hay made up the country,men will need lambs to eat after grass which is growing at a rate of knots.

I saw only a handful of lambs 35kg just weaned but good condition (not take long to finish) make €81. Suffolk / Tex cross of mule ewes. Didn't know if that was good or bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

Farrell wrote: »
    I saw only a handful of lambs 35kg just weaned but good condition (not take long to finish) make €81. Suffolk / Tex cross of mule ewes. Didn't know if that was good or bad[/QUOTE]

too much if buying, not enough if selling :D:D

TBH a little €2.30/kg not bad money at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭arctictree

Would these then be sold as hoggets in April? Would lads be hoping to make €40 or €50 or so on these? Do they need feed? Was half thinking of buying a few dozen myself and keeping for 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

on reasonable grass they'd grow more than 100g/d(pessimism here could get up to 200)
    target 50kg...you'd have them out the door late nov early dec.

they might want a bit of meal to get them over the line earlier in nov

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Coothill tonight, prices, batches of 10 to 15 lambs,40kg 82 euro, 44kg 86 euro,41kg 83 euro, 52kg 94euro,
    stores, 32kg 69euro, 34kg 71 euro, 31kg 66 euro, well down again on last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Coothill tonight, prices, batches of 10 to 15 lambs,40kg 82 euro, 44kg 86 euro,41kg 83 euro, 52kg 94euro,
    stores, 32kg 69euro, 34kg 71 euro, 31kg 66 euro, well down again on last week.

ICM are supposed to be quoting 4.60/kg in tomorrows journal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

a

might be bringing them home so..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

might be bringing them home so..

For fcuk sake. That's a desperate drop in the space of 3 weeks . Have the first of mine fit to go next week. All that work for those prices would depress you. I need over 100 a lamb min.

Brought them home again. They were 41Kg and only making 82 Euro. There were a lot of light lambs there tonight, 34 kg etc, and an amazing number of lambs over 55kg, price for 55kg running about 97 euro. If those were brought out a month ago at 43 kg, they would have probably made nearly 110 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gazahayes

Sold a few Lambs in roscrea today 43 kg €86 and 2 cull hogget ewes 56kg 104

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭gazahayes

Sold a few Lambs in roscrea today 43 kg €86 and 2 cull hogget ewes 56kg 104

Thanks lads,good to start to get an idea of price of store lambs.

Brought them home again. They were 41Kg and only making 82 Euro. There were a lot of light lambs there tonight, 34 kg etc, and an amazing number of lambs over 55kg, price for 55kg running about 97 euro. If those were brought out a month ago at 43 kg, they would have probably made nearly 110 euro.

True but sadly only a few ready then & hold off for a load.
    As farmers it's our Achilles heel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

sea12 wrote: »
    For fcuk sake. That's a desperate drop in the space of 3 weeks . Have the first of mine fit to go next week. All that work for those prices would depress you. I need over 100 a lamb min.
    Agreed. Sold 43kg lambs - 90 euro. Sold 41kg lambs 3 weeks ago for 100 euro.
    To make it worth your while you would need 100 euro for 40kg lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Not sure how you'd make money on paying €70 euro for early 30kg's lamb when the finished product 45 -50 kg lamb is making poor money.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Kevin the sheep

39.5kg €79 not well fleshed lambs
    43 kg €85 nice finished lambs
    2 and 3 year old ewes guaranteed correct for breeding €117-€125
    New Ross today

39.5kg €79 not well fleshed lambs
    43 kg €85 nice finished lambs
    2 and 3 year old ewes guaranteed correct for breeding €117-€125
    New Ross today
    How would you rate that trade Kevin?...not that great to me from up West,was in Dowra today for few hours,very few factory lambs there ,saw 86 euro for texels fit to kill,top price for stores was 87:50 for Suffolks,great long lambs...fit to kill all in a month after good grass,pen of around 20,about 5 fit to kill in it,was chatting owner after he sold...same lambs last year he got 85 euro,would say it would have been top price today for forward stores.No weighing in Dowra.From what I saw dearest lambs were the 35kg lambs,making well over 70 euro,plenty of buyers there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Kevin the sheep

How would you rate that trade kevin ?

Bad you want a base of 42kg €100
    Or €5 a kg dead weight to make descent profit not break even from what I've heard on here ya good store lambs are a great trade at the moment strange to see them making more than the finished lamb in some cases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭razor8

Anyone have factory quotes for tomorrow? Have a load ready but not sure to wait until next week

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭eire23

razor8 wrote: »
    Anyone have factory quotes for tomorrow? Have a load ready but not sure to wait until next week

I think 4.50,- 4.60. lambs ready to go here as well but gonna sit tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

eire23 wrote: »

Have the first if mine ready aswell but think I'll sit tight for a few days aswell. Sicken you to be giving away lambs at that price.

Hope you're right, they're around the same as last year, but they dropped further after

rangler1 wrote: »
    Hope you're right, they're around the same as last year, but they dropped further after

Possibly but sold lambs in the middle of july last year and they made over 100euro, 106 or 107 i think it was.

Possibly but sold lambs in the middle of july last year and they made over 100euro, 106 or 107 i think it was.

sorry you're right, €5.21 on the 11th july last year and down to €4.78 on the 5th august,

Just got last weeks lamb cheque 20.9kg....€99.70 - €3 deductions €96.70 each
    live weight 43.5 kg.
    The guys selling live on boards here are getting a good price

rangler1 wrote: »
    sorry you're right, €5.21 on the 11th july last year and down to €4.78 on the 5th august,

Just got last weeks lamb cheque 20.9kg....€99.70 - €3 deductions €96.70 each
    live weight 43.5 kg.
    The guys selling live on boards here are getting a good price

The live shipping was a big help for prices this time last year.
    Cant remember when a lamb was sold live here last, might be worth a try now though so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭razor8

Where's the shippers this year, they must of sat down with the factories and agreed a way to screw us sheep farmers together

Navan quoting €4.50 plus 10qa, diabolical

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭jt65

I was talking to an agent who arranges a small amount of live shipping

seems the dept. arent' too helpful .. no man power available etc,

figures :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Advertisement