Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

callans kicks

• 08-07-2014 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Ive seen adds for a new series.....how is that possible, was it highly because it was utter sh!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,248 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

'The impressions are good, but the material is weak.'

- former boardsie JonathonAnon :(;)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

betonit wrote: »
    Ive seen adds for a new series.....how is that possible, was it highly because it was utter sh!!!!

Change title to The Mario Rosenstock Show/Mattie/Killinaskully/Mrs. Brown's Boys/Upwardly Mobile/Damo & Ivor/etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TheBlock

If you thought first series was bad wait till you see this ****e...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Looks sh!te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

'The impressions are good, but the material is weak.' - former boardsie JonathonAnon :(;)

He was like a dog with a bone that lad... Glad to see the back of him tbh.. on a side note he used to hate when people spelt his name wrong... :-(

With regard to Callan, I thought the promo looked good, and the impressions sounded good on the radio... But it is STILL not possible for ONE or two impressionists to sustain a whole series on their own.. They tried it with Bull Island, The State Of Us, Callan's Kicks (already) etc etc... And there is just not enough good material...

What I would love would be if RTE could coordinate the structure of an "impressionists" show and subcontract all the bits to the different talents... Mario / Callan / Apres Match etc etc... And see if they could make one good series....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What's the bets he will do the Tom Cruise laughing hysterically on the couch thing again, which happened about 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Terrible time for it to be broadcast, 9.30 on a friday night, should be on monday or tuesday evenings.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The only time he ever made me laugh was when Paul Galvin threatened to beat him up for taking the piss out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I've never heard of it but the ads are awful. Impression shows are mostly **** anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭take everything

I think this guy is a very good impressionist and having listened to the radio show occasionally i'm actually interested in how his radio show translates to TV.
    There's more than enough ridiculous crap in the news for him to exploit and he'll do well to rip the ****e out of the Garth Brooks fiasco (although not sure when Callan's shows were done and anyway Enda's doing a decent job of that himself).

Anyway, didn't see a thread.
    Might be worth a watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I'll probably watch it, and whilst i think hes a very good impressionist, perhaps better at some charachters than Mario Rosenstock, he seems to copy the made up mannerisms that Mario has added to the charachters he does. I think Callen worked with or for Mario years ago so maybe thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,248 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Trailer for tonight's show...

(apologies for the link to broadsheet.ie)

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/07/11/staying-in-tonight-15/#comments

For any avid fans of Oliver Callan (i.e. Welsh Megaman only), he was on with Sean O'Rourke this morning. Just to reiterate, I think he does very good impressions but his material is poor. However, this morning I didnt think he was very good... Impression of Pat Rabbitte was not good at all.. Even his Enda was not great.. Maybe it was just the fact that it was reasonably early in the morning for a performer.. But it was poor..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

'The impressions are good, but the material is weak.'

- former boardsie JonathonAnon :(;)

Sums it up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

i think impressionist shows (and that's if the material is good) is just fit for radio. Did you ever see chat shows where the guest does impressions, they are the best most effective. Its when they dress up like the person it seems to ruin it , the fact they're trying to look like them takes from the impression itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

betonit wrote: »
    i think impressionist shows (and that's if the material is good) is just fit for radio. Did you ever see chat shows where the guest does impressions, they are the best most effective. Its when they dress up like the person it seems to ruin it , the fact they're trying to look like them takes from the impression itself.

I can see what you mean but apres match seems to pull it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

What's the bets he will do the Tom Cruise laughing hysterically on the couch thing again, which happened about 10 years ago
    I'll probably watch it, and whilst i think hes a very good impressionist, perhaps better at some charachters than Mario Rosenstock, he seems to copy the made up mannerisms that Mario has added to the charachters he does. I think Callen worked with or for Mario years ago so maybe thats it.
    Yep, Oliver was a newsreader on Today FM and Mario's side-kick on Gift Grub. Oliver's Marian Finucane impression was ****ing hilarious IMO.
    But then he went out on his own (wasn't an amicable parting by all accounts) which meant the end of a great comedy partnership, and exactly what you said happened: copying of made-up Roy Keane mannerism, ditto Tom Cruise... which is just embarrassing really.
    I echo: very good impressionist, terrible writing.

I just turned on RTE ONE and it seems Callan's Kicks has started early... I think he has the voice a bit too low..

Did yer wan on the RTE News really say ChimLeys .... numerous time during her report...?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Cruel image of Marty Morrissey :D

Good start.. the impressions were good AND the material was good.. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Did yer wan on the RTE News really say ChimLeys .... numerous time during her report...?

What an idiot. Everyone knows it's pronounced 'chimBleys'.

I'll say one thing about Oliver Callan: If you close your eyes when you hear him doing an impression of Enda Kenny, you'd almost swear it actually was Oliver Callan doing an impression of Enda Kenny. It's uncanny. UnKenny, even...

I like his Joe Brolly impression on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,377 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Does Des Cahill brilliantly:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

2 jokes about playing Angry Birds so far, he's really clued in to whats hot now.

This is so cringey, he's fooking brutal...

I like his Joe Brolly impression on the radio.

He hasnt got the slouch and the squinted eyes, as if permanently looking straight in to the sun..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

2 jokes about playing Angry Birds so far, he's really clued in to whats hot now.

This is so cringey, he's fooking brutal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

If he hadn't introduced himself as James Reilly, would anyone have guessed that he was impersonating James Reilly?

He's not good enough to carry his own show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Pleasantly surprised at this. He is very good. Pissing myself at the des Cahill impression and marty

He got the dig in at Tubridy anyway... :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm liking this.

Advertisement