Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ryanair allocated seating!!

Options
  • 22-06-2014 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

6 of us are travelling in 2 weeks, 3 ad 3 children, in order for us to sit together, according to website it will cost me at least €60 e/w:eek:

is there any way to avoid this fee??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

phobia2011 wrote: »
    6 of us are travelling in 2 weeks, 3 ad 3 children, in order for us to sit together, according to website it will cost me at least €60 e/w:eek:

No, your only hope is to ask people to switch seats if you're not going to pay their fee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

you don't have to pay for seating..check in online 14 days or less before your flight and you'll be given seats. Hopefully you're all on one booking, if not the only way to guarantee seats together is to pay for them. Even on one booking it's not guaranteed but chances are much higher. There's another thread on this that seems to have worked out how seats are allocated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

athtrasna wrote: »
    you don't have to pay for seating..check in online 14 days or less before your flight and you'll be given seats. Hopefully you're all on one booking, if not the only way to guarantee seats together is to pay for them. Even on one booking it's not guaranteed but chances are much higher. There's another thread on this that seems to have worked out how seats are allocated.

It's completely arbitrary how to allocate seats, if a couple go on hol, they may be allocated seats together on the way out, but not the way back, it's a bit ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

all on one booking ( 6 of us) seems like i cant check in until 7 days prior to departure unless i buy allocated seats!

takes the pi$$ really, if i dont buy allocated seats i will have to find an internet cafe whilst on holiday to check in on way home and print passes!!

if i thought that i hadn't paid enough,€2500 ish, id just pay the extra, but adding another €120 to the bill to sit together seems steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Check in at midnight a week before each leg of flight. Enter passport details during the day and get on at exactly midnight when online check in opens 7 days before each flight.
    2 adults 2 children flying to and from Portugal earlier this month. I did this and got 4 seats in a line . but get on as soon as it opens ..,,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 liosglen

I have checked in online free for a family of 5 and have been allocated seating together on both outward & return journey. Check in online 7 days up to 2 hours before outward journey just click on allocate random seats and you will be seated together.

Repeat the same procedure 7 days up to 2 hours before your return trip you don't need to give passport information again, just go for randomly allocated seating.

I checked in online 7 days before each flight.

Let me know how you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 tdmci

We are going for two weeks and don't want to be hit for the fee of allocated seating. We can only login 7 days before and then print our boarding passes - which we would prefer not to print on holidays. I know in the past people said pdf were not acceptable at the boarding gate - this seems to have changed . Can anyone confirm if they are now acceptable? Also does anyone know when the Ryanair boarding app will be up and running?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

tdmci wrote: »
    We are going for two weeks and don't want to be hit for the fee of allocated seating. We can only login 7 days before and then print our boarding passes - which we would prefer not to print on holidays. I know in the past people said pdf were not acceptable at the boarding gate - this seems to have changed . Can anyone confirm if they are now acceptable? Also does anyone know when the Ryanair boarding app will be up and running?
    Thanks
    On Ryan air boarding passes it says they must be printed. I flew to and from faro at start of month with ryanair . Had to print boarding passes out there . Did not see a single person with them not in paper form .

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭irishbloke77

Does the cost of pre-selected Ryanair seats not start at €5 e/w? I thought the seats from around row 7 backwards (except emergency rows) were cheaper. That would mean your total cost would be 30 euros each way, not 60

I couldn't see anything on their site either but noticed it on several sites:

Google : "ryanair boarding card app 2014" and collect the first link. (Sorry boards.ie wont let me post a direct link)

Click the link "Listen Here" to listen to Ryanair’s new marketing manager Kenny Jacobs Announce you can use a PDF or email. Why doesn't their website confirm this?

Further down in the search results RTE also mentions:
    "Ryanair customers should be able to use their mobile phones as boarding passes from next summer, according to its CEO Michael O’Leary."

We fly out on the 7th August and was curious to now if they would be up and running as it would save a lot of hassle when on holiday having to find somewhere to print them out and I don't particularly want to pay the extra to book before we go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Does the cost of pre-selected Ryanair seats not start at €5 e/w? I thought the seats from around row 7 backwards (except emergency rows) were cheaper. That would mean your total cost would be 30 euros each way, not 60

no option of €5, just 10 or 15,

regardless ive paid €2500, which i could have booked for cheaper if i waited and risked it all! so im hoping not to pay ryanair another penny more than i have too!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Checked in today. Seven days before flight. Two groups, one of three and one of two and we got all our seats together without it costing anything extra. Just do it seven days before and you will be together.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

I have travelled twice in a party of four adults since their allocated seating came in and we were seated together there and back on both occasions at no charge.

I also saw this on their website which might make you worry less. :)http://www.ryanair.com/ie/questions/will-families-be-split-up-if-they-do-not-wish-to-pay-for-allocated-seating/

I reckon if you book your seats as soon as possible (7 days before the flight - after midnight) then you should have a good chance at getting seats together. The problem you have like myself is the return flight as they only allow seat allocation 7 days before.

Google: ryanair allocated seats algorithm

and look at the first link - the person has studied how Ryanair allocates seats.

Ryanairs own site says:

"Travelling with children

Will families be split up if they do not wish to pay for allocated seating?"

We will endeavour to seat families together however this will not always be possible. If you want to be guaranteed seats together we recommend that seats are purchased.

If you chose not to select and purchase a seat and have been allocated seats which are not together please contact our call centre so that we may try to assist you.

If you don't get seats together then phone them - if you book as soon as the booking opens I think you will be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭murria

Phobia2011, i also meant to say we travelled Friday to Monday last time and i only checked us in on the Thursday evening, so I imagine if you check-in as soon you can you will definitely be seated together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Just another quick question, if I check in and am allocated a random seat, am I able to change it? Just because I'd pay if I needed to for an aisle seat (I'm 6"2).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Just another quick question, if I check in and am allocated a random seat, am I able to change it? Just because I'd pay if I needed to for an aisle seat (I'm 6"2).

As far as I know your stuck with the seat you are given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Cheers man, I'll pay upfront then, my legs don't fit into the middle / window seats :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

I can't find the thread that had the advice on when to check-in and how to work-out the allocated seating algorithm... any can post a link? Searched boards numerous times but just can't see it.

Also, has the check-in changed since? I cannot see the allocated seat numbers before the button "check in now" comes up, so we'd have no idea where we'd be sitting until we actually agree to the seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Gatica wrote: »
    I can't find the thread that had the advice on when to check-in and how to work-out the allocated seating algorithm... any can post a link? Searched boards numerous times but just can't see it.

Also, has the check-in changed since? I cannot see the allocated seat numbers before the button "check in now" comes up, so we'd have no idea where we'd be sitting until we actually agree to the seats.

You have no choice in the seats unless you pay for them. You don't find out your allocated seat (free) until your boarding card is generated

• Advertisement

Yes, I see that now. I thought you were able to see the assigned seat before you check-in, but I tried doing the free check-in and there was no way to see it... so we decided to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

I tried to buy seats for 5 euro, and it says you need to have priority boarding ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Gatica wrote: »

here is the link to the article:
    http://flights-blog.lowcostroutes.com/2014/04/how-to-get-a-free-seat-on-ryanair/

Thanks, I think that covers the same sort of questions. There was thread on Boards.ie about this though. I couldn't find it again...

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

checked in tonite for a flight to stanstead on Friday morning and got seats together....

That link was great help! Worked out when to book and got seats we wanted! Very happy...

Off topic:
    Annoying though cos were asked by someone boarding (after we'd put away all our stuff, I took off shoes, and got comfortable with a book) whether we were together. Thankfully yes, but even if we weren't, why do people think it's ok to disturb someone else so they can sit together (unless traveling with a small child)?? I like a seat by the window, as I don't make bathroom trips, like looking out the window and not getting disturbed.

Upside, Ryanair's organisation on the flight was pretty good. Had no issues with boarding with our bags, no hassle about sizing up what you were traveling with (all well within limits, granted).
    Food selection on board though was awful. Got the caesar wrap (DO NOT have that tripe!), it wasn't chicken and bacon as they'd said, it was some kind of paste, which goodness-knows what was in it... and my travel companion had unpleasant repercussions of eating some heated cheese croissant. Lesson learned and we only got a drink on board the next time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just to confirm, for those who want to get in early on the 'free seat' check-in.

If your flight is at, say, 5pm on the 20th, you can check in and get the assigned seat any time from midnight on the 13th. You don't have to wait till 7 days before 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

spurious wrote: »
    Just to confirm, for those who want to get in early on the 'free seat' check-in.

If your flight is at, say, 5pm on the 20th, you can check in and get the assigned seat any time from midnight on the 13th. You don't have to wait till 7 days before 5pm.

Thanks for that info - I had this exact question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭deisemum

I flew 2 weeks ago, 3 adults and 2 14 year olds and only checked in the day before we flew out and got 5 seats together. We got the emergency exit seats but the teenagers had to swap with the people behind because they were under 18. We checked in 3 days before our return flight and got 5 seats together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

spurious wrote: »

This is not entirely true - check in opens at exactly 7 days before the departure time.

If your flight is at, say, 5pm on the 20th, you can check in and get the assigned seat any time from 5pm on the 13th.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement