Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Robot Vacuum Cleaner €179.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SeanyMc22

ImARebel wrote: »
    Mine has also developed a problem. The left brush won't turn anymore. The right one works perfectly if you manaully turn them you can feel that the left one is way tighter than the right, so I'm assuming the motor doesn't have the power to turn it as it requires so much more force to turn it now.

No idea how/why this happened. it worked Thursday evening, then Friday morning I went to set Percy going and no way would he budge. Tries to kick into gear, right brush turns and then nothing, flashes red.

If it had taken a knock or had something wound round the wheel or anything like that I could explain it. But how it happened (seemingly overnight) I just don't know. Going to contact Aldi today, this is akin to a death in the family in our house :-(

That sounds exactly like the issue I have exact mine is on the right. Haven't had a chance to bring it back yet, hoping to get up to Aldi during the week. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I definitely will. Waiting for a room to become free in work so I can give some poor unsuspecting aldi person what for.

How is one expected to go back to actually hoovering after having a Percy???????? We're ruined!!!! :-)

Rang the aftersales support number on the booklet that came with the robot. Your man was very nice but the long and short of it is that they have no access to parts, they have a meeting with Aldi the first week in July to try and see can they find out how they are going to support the repair/maintenance of the robots. Aldi bought them in bulk from Italy and they have no access to parts/the inner workings or what's going to be need to be done to fix them.

He said to ring back in July and he'd know more then. That in my book is not good enough I'll be going back to my local store tonight to see can I get a replacement.

If I can't, then I presume the next step is head office?

I'm not very "up" on what the procedure should be so if anyone could advise how I should be complaining and to which channels I'd be grateful.

I'd be happy for now with a replacement having to wait until mid-July for a possible outcome of a meeting isn't good enough in my book. At least I'd have something to tide me over until July.

I presume if something is under warranty then you shouldn't have to wait until mid-july to find out if it can be fixed etc? It should be relatively immediate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Sorry to hear about Percy. We also couldn't live without Edgar J.

Please keep us informed as more than a few of us will likely be following in your footsteps. The 60-days is up for most of us so the warranty route is the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pretty bad form by Aldi to be flogging these without parts back up- over their life time robot vacumns need a lot more parts and maintenance than standard vacs. They should have been talking to their suppliers about after sales parts back in April, not in July when people are already stuck for them.

• Advertisement

agreed and I'll be saying that tonight when I go back to them... I'll keep ye updated

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Rang the aftersales support number on the booklet that came with the robot. Your man was very nice but the long and short of it is that they have no access to parts, they have a meeting with Aldi the first week in July to try and see can they find out how they are going to support the repair/maintenance of the robots. Aldi bought them in bulk from Italy and they have no access to parts/the inner workings or what's going to be need to be done to fix them.

He said to ring back in July and he'd know more then. That in my book is not good enough I'll be going back to my local store tonight to see can I get a replacement.

If I can't, then I presume the next step is head office?

I'm not very "up" on what the procedure should be so if anyone could advise how I should be complaining and to which channels I'd be grateful.

I'd be happy for now with a replacement having to wait until mid-July for a possible outcome of a meeting isn't good enough in my book. At least I'd have something to tide me over until July.

I presume if something is under warranty then you shouldn't have to wait until mid-july to find out if it can be fixed etc? It should be relatively immediate?

Well your contract is with the reseller ie Aldi so they can't fob you off to the manufacturer AFAIK.
    And it should last a reasonable length of time (I would've thought reasonable would be 2 years of normal wear and tear).

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Has no one still found a way to buy parts? I figured by now something would have surfaced - cant you buy it on Amazon Italy or something?

Our little guy still going strong but its only common sense that he'll need new brushes eventually...

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Has no one still found a way to buy parts? I figured by now something would have surfaced - cant you buy it on Amazon Italy or something?

Our little guy still going strong but its only common sense that he'll need new brushes eventually...

:(

Didn't they come with spare brushes?

Johnny is still going strong in our house but I vaguely remember there being spare brushes in the box.

There were spare brushes and a spare HEPA filter in my box. I find that filter to be pretty fiddly to pull out to clean... I'm afraid I'll ruin it in the process of cleaning it.

To the poster whose brush stopped rotating, is it possible it's found a thread or something that has wound around the spindle that the brush is connected to? When I first set Edgar off about the place I had a tidy up a few things he kept winding up around his brushes including some loose threads hanging from the bottom of our curtains. Don't void your warranty or anything, but I wonder if there is something to explain why the brush on one side got stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,651 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Mine has also developed a problem. The left brush won't turn anymore. The right one works perfectly if you manaully turn them you can feel that the left one is way tighter than the right, so I'm assuming the motor doesn't have the power to turn it as it requires so much more force to turn it now.

Have you tried a squirt of oil?

I had a similar problem with a Lidl Microwave door not closing but a squirt of oil sorted out the hinge problem. I spoke to their after-sales dept first just to be sure it wouldn't affect the warranty.

@ImARebel how did you get on with returning your bot to Aldi? It's looking like I won't have a chance to return mine until the weekend.

Just back from Aldi with Percy Mark II in a box. Have to say there was no issue at all about getting a replacement. The manager offered me one immediately. I did say to him (just to clarify the fact that I'd contacted Aftersales) that I'd have been happy if it could have been fixed but given parts were an issue that a replacement then was the only option. He just said that he'd heard there was an issue with parts alright but he was happy to replace it (I got the last one in the store)

He was very good about it and because it was outside the 60 day warranty he just put it through as a new sale and I got a receipt to cover me from today onwards.

I tried a few things to get him back up and running but you could see there was clearly something wrong with the left one in comparison to the right. Nothing was wound around it etc so he's charging away below ready for action later :-)

Sorry now I didn't pocket the 2 extra brushes in the spare box before returning it. Didn't think fast enough on that one!

Just back from Aldi with Percy Mark II in a box. Have to say there was no issue at all about getting a replacement. The manager offered me one immediately. I did say to him (just to clarify the fact that I'd contacted Aftersales) that I'd have been happy if it could have been fixed but given parts were an issue that a replacement then was the only option. He just said that he'd heard there was an issue with parts alright but he was happy to replace it (I got the last one in the store)

He was very good about it and because it was outside the 60 day warranty he just put it through as a new sale and I got a receipt to cover me from today onwards.

I tried a few things to get him back up and running but you could see there was clearly something wrong with the left one in comparison to the right. Nothing was wound around it etc so he's charging away below ready for action later :-)

Sorry now I didn't pocket the 2 extra brushes in the spare box before returning it. Didn't think fast enough on that one!

Glad to hear there was no problems with the return. Which store did you return yours to? I'll be heading to the Santry store with mine

I'm based outside Dublin so it would be a "local" store if you know what I mean, ie they'd be used to seeing me in and out of there. I don't know if that made a difference to the outcome. Plus I didn't go in all guns blazing either, I was prepared to argue my case but I was nice about it :-)

Might be worth checking if they have any in stock before going over, you'd know ahead of time and could decide if they could get one from another store for you. I knew mine had one in the display cabinet so didn't need to go down that route but it's what I would have asked them to do as the warranty can't be upheld.

Best of luck - let us know how you get on

Lucky that he happened to have one in the store. I wonder what would have happened if that hadn't been the case? Glad it worked out for you. Fingers crossed we don't hear too many new cases of faults developing.

I would definitely have asked him to source one for me as I know from being on here there are a few available in other stores

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

One in Aldi Santry at the minute.

sue97 wrote: »
    One in Aldi Santry at the minute.

Looks like someone got there before me. None in the cabinet but there was a large empty space. Manager was sound about it and gave me a refund straight away. He said they will be coming back in as they were so popular. Back to archaic hoovering :-|

that's a bummer, it's a pity you couldn't have got a replacement :-(

• Advertisement

Incidentally I need to get something replaced in Aldi, do I need to ring up in advance to talk to the manager, or would s/he normally be walking around the shop?

as far as I know there is always a manager on duty while the store is open (for voids, returns etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Some spares on ebay.it : Clicky

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nicapp

Been following this thread avidly. On the back of all your reccomendations i bought myself one for £129 and duly named it Dobbie the house elf! And I absolutely love him however after abit of research i see its impossible to purchase spare parts as they are all in Italy. My husband tried to reassure me re the 3 yr warranty but if the battery fails how are we meant to buy a new one after all its only covered for 6 mths. Also my local Aldi store manager advised me if it becomes faulty its to be returned to the manufacterer which is in Italy and not to the local scottish store within the 3 yr warranty. I have 12 days of my 60 days no quibble return left and due to all the above i think its going to have to go back :0(
    Any news yet from the helpline on the big Aldi meeting in July with the manufacterer's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

Its impossible / or v difficult to get spares

As a result look after it, specifically the brushes ; Before hovering the room/house make sure no trailing power cords, usb cables etc, these tend to snag up the brushes and damage them

k123456 wrote: »
    make sure no trailing power cords, usb cables etc, these tend to snag up the brushes and damage them

Woah that's pretty crap. Glad I didn't pick one up so. Trailing power cords are everywhere in my living room for TV or sat cable or lights etc.

Also have a Persian rug with tassles on each end that would probably cause havoc with the innards.

I'll wait until these things get "smarter".

I took Dobbie back today, the lad advised me as of 17th its on special at £99 in Aldi's. Unless Aldi make it possible to buy spares I see no point re purchasing it which is a great shame.

Despite it's limitations I wouldn't be without Percy... Although that said Percy Mark II seems alot dumber than Percy Mark I, but he gets there eventually...

Given there is a 3 year warranty on these aldi will have to do something to get the parts to the engineers..

Does anyone have the customer care number on the instructions booklet is it an Aldi customer care number or the manufacterer? I was going to ring them to get clarification on this but obviously the bòoks gone back with Dobbie hence i nolonger have it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

nicapp wrote: »
    I took Dobbie back today, the lad advised me as of 17th its on special at £99 in Aldi's. Unless Aldi make it possible to buy spares I see no point re purchasing it which is a great shame.

Any official word on these being reduced? There's no mention on the Aldi website. And has anyone spotted any recently? I'm trying to get one for a friend's 40th.

Thanks.

Advertisement