Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AC/DC New album and Tour.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Was the 40 date thing meant as a farewell? I thought it was to celebrate 40 years, anyway all we can do is wait and hope Malcolm gets better and the band get to go out on their own terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Was the 40 date thing meant as a farewell? I thought it was to celebrate 40 years, anyway all we can do is wait and hope Malcolm gets better and the band get to go out on their own terms.

It was always going to be a 40 date worldwide farewell tour, I'd have said 15 in Europe, 15 in the America's and 10 in Australia/Rest of World

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Didn't Malcolm miss a tour some years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Didn't Malcolm miss a tour some years ago?

yeah, i think his nephew stood in for him

EDIT : From Wiki

Stevie Young is the nephew of AC/DC guitarists Angus and Malcolm Young. He is the son of their brother Alex. During the 1988 U.S. tour for AC/DC's album Blow Up Your Video, which started on May 3, 1988, Stevie filled in for Malcolm on rhythm guitar, while Malcolm left to deal with a growing alcohol dependency. Many fans were not even aware that Malcolm had been replaced, as Stevie bears a physical resemblance to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I remember reading about another Young family member filling in for Malcolm. I guess they'll be doing that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Hardacre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

If the 40 date anniversary tour (or farewell tour realisticly) happens, I get the feeling we would probably be snubbed in favour of somewhere bigger, having said that I would most definitely make the trip to London to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Stevie Young to step in for studio sessions?
    The nephew of AC/DC's Angus and Malcolm Young might be taking the spot of his uncle Malcolm for the band's next album.

Stevie Young is rumored to have been brought in to play rhythm guitar during the band's studio sessions for their 16th studio album. Young had previously stepped in for his uncle in 1988, when Malcolm left the tour to address alcohol addiction.
    http://www.rttnews.com/2318211/ac-dc-nephew-may-step-in-for-malcolm-young.aspx?type=ent
    As we previously reported, founding AC/DC member Malcolm Young is taking a break from the band due to ill health. No word yet on how long that break will be, but as of last week, AC/DC are currently in a Vancouver studio with producer Brendan O’Brien to begin work on the follow-up to 2008’s Black Ice.

And although AC/DC hasn’t offered any official confirmation, one lingering question appears to have been answered: Malcolm Young will be replaced (in the studio, at least) on guitar by his nephew, Stevie Young, who has been spotted hanging with the band in Vancouver. The substitution makes sense, as Stevie has subbed for Malcolm once before, on the band’s 1988 U.S. tour.
    http://www.rocksquare.com/community/musicnews/4128

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

According to Brian Johnson, the new AC/DC album is done. They were considering calling the album Man Down.

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2014-07-09/world-exclusive-ac-dc-news-as-brian-johnson-reveals-new-album-details

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

They are playing Wembley and Hampden Park next summer too, can't wait till 12 nights in Croke Park are announced :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

They are playing Wembley and Hampden Park next summer too, can't wait till 12 nights in Croke Park are announced :pac:

Source please!

Mushy wrote: »
    Source please!

Johnson said it in the Classic Rock article or at least in hinted at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I read that article earlier, did he say Malcolm is in hospital? Surely he must have been in for weeks at this stage so? :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Time for the title of this thread to be changed i think...!!! they aren't going anywhere thank God.

But with Malcolm's ill health and the fact that Johnson turns 67 this year means they don't have an awful lot of time left :(

I hope they do come here and we get one more chance to see them, but Malcolm not being there does take away from it slightly for me, but when the nephew stood in before most people didn't notice so I'm sure they'd still be brilliant.

Album 1st of December, new song this week.
    AC/DC have confirmed the release of 17th studio album Rock Or Bust on December 1 – and they’ve revealed mainman Malcolm Young won’t return to the band.

He bowed out earlier this year as a result of an unspecified illness, and was replaced in recording sessions by his nephew Stevie. The younger guitarist will take part in the Aussie giants’ 2015 world tour in his uncle’s place.

Columbia records say in a statement: “Rock Or Bust follows the immensely successful Black Ice album, which debuted at number 1 in 31 countries upon release in 2008, and has gone on to sell nearly 8 million copies worldwide.

“Rock or Bust finds AC/DC once again working with producer Brendan O’Brien and mixer Mike Fraser. It’s the first album in the band’s 41-year history without Malcolm Young. Unfortunately, due to the nature of Malcolm’s condition, he will not be returning to the band.

“Stevie, nephew of founding members Angus and Malcolm, plays rhythm guitar on Rock or Bust and will accompany the band on tour.”

The first track from the album, Play Ball, is to be revealed on September 27 on US TV channel TBS, in association with Major League Baseball.

AC/DC biographer Jessie Fink earlier this year reported it was likely Malcolm’s absence would become permanent. He said: “The important thing is we all let Mal be and hope he can recover. We should all expect that Stevie is in the band now." Speaking of the new material he added: “I'm hearing on very reliable authority it's up there with Black Ice, or even better – so Stevie must be a good replacement for Mal."

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

Talks of headlining Glastonbury next year as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 curfumsarinn

Please play somewhere I can afford to go

Repeat to fade

afro man wrote: »
    Talks of headlining Glastonbury next year as well ?

I doubt it really. Likely they'll be touring with their own stages and heaps of gear like last few tours. Completely impractical to bring it to Glastonbury, they brought their own stage to Download in 2010 but that was on third pass of Europe on Black Ice tour.

They make more money doing their own stadium shows too. And it's much easier for a band to headline a load of festivals or do a string of their own stadium shows in Europe, doing a mix of both in one tour complicates things.

Can see them doing more festivals in future, but I'll be surprised they do any before doing their shows following the albums release.

• Advertisement

Repeat to fade

start saving now :) they are worth every penny to see them live

afro man wrote: »
    start saving now :) they are worth every penny to see them live

Dont worry, seen 'em twice already, Point and Punchestown a few years ago. This time around I'll go wherever I have to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I'd never have thunk it. Losing Bon was one thing. Losing Malcolm entirely another.

Still, if the rest of the band feel they can play and enjoy it, why not keep the show on the road.

Dont worry, seen 'em twice already, Point and Punchestown a few years ago. This time around I'll go wherever I have to[/QUOTE

seen them many year ago in the RDS Back in the 80's For those about to rock tour and the point in the early 90's and punchestown also that was some show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I doubt it really. Likely they'll be touring with their own stages and heaps of gear like last few tours. Completely impractical to bring it to Glastonbury, they brought their own stage to Download in 2010 but that was on third pass of Europe on Black Ice tour.

They make more money doing their own stadium shows too. And it's much easier for a band to headline a load of festivals or do a string of their own stadium shows in Europe, doing a mix of both in one tour complicates things.

Can see them doing more festivals in future, but I'll be surprised they do any before doing their shows following the albums release.

Surely that could be said about U2 and Metallica when they headlined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Didn't Brian Johnson confirm that Ireland would feature on the next tour?
    Im sure I seen that recently.

Seen them 5 times...

The Point 1991
    Donington, UK 1991
    The Point 1996
    The O2 2009
    Puncestown 2009

ush wrote: »
    Surely that could be said about U2 and Metallica when they headlined.

U2 weren't touring Europe with that massive stage at the time though, they'd expressed interest themselves in wanting to play it and were willing to play on the pyramid stage. Of course that could happen with AC/DC too though, there just hasn't been any rumoured interest in them wanting too AFAIK.

And Metallica were playing European festivals all Summer so would have required no special plans.

In 2009 I remember it was murder trying to get tickets for the Point; if I remember right, i joined the fan club (officially) the day before, in order to have access to a certain number of tickets. Most of my buddies who would have gone couldnt get tickets. And then Punchestown came as a bit of a surprise later in the year - and everyone got to go. The Point show was a religious experience - Punchestown was no comparison.

This time out, I guess the Point would be great again, but who knows - if they have a stadium tour in mind, they'd fill Croke Park, or the Aviva, or maybe come down and play our local GAA pitch - they could all stay in my gaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Lord Henry Mountcharles desperately wants them for Slane.

The planets may align next summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

poundhound wrote: »
    Lord Henry Mountcharles desperately wants them for Slane.

The planets may align next summer?

Hopefully not, Slane is a nightmare of a venue. I said AC/DC are the only band I'd ever return to Slane for, but I'd rather go somewhere, anywhere, else!

Advertisement