Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michaella, Peru and the Drugs Run. RTÉ One, Monday 7 July, 9.35pm

Options
  • 07-07-2014 8:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

From RTÉ

"Michaella, Peru and the Drugs run goes behind the story to explore how a young Irish woman agreed to become a drug mule. In August last year, Michaella McCollum was arrested at Lima International Airport alongside a young Scottish woman, Melissa Reid. After initially claiming they agreed to take the drugs under threat, in December they admitted their guilt and were sentenced to six years, eight months in jail".

Link in full

It will be interesting to see how this is handled.

A clip from the film played on radio over the weekend seemed to suggest that there is an attempt to elicit sympathy for the two young women who pleaded guilty to drug smuggling.

Perhaps tonight will give a more balanced viewpoint from the Peruvian side of things rather than just the (understandable) emotional opinion of Michaella's mother and sister.

Perhaps the programme will illustrate how the two young women are serving their time and taking responsibility for their actions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,820 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Thanks for the reminder, looking forward to see how it is portrayed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

A silly bimbo more like.

M

Hope the licence fee didn't pay for their flights.

Of course our license payers money paid for them to go on there Jaunt to Peru to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I don't judge her says the sister.....ah come on we all make mistakes but she didn't steal your barbie here love

• Advertisement
    M

Did they ever check her hair for an additional stash?

Left home at 16, thought she could take on the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 spear_mint

she got an incredibly harsh sentance , she is doing her time , time people stopped trashing her

No sorry love we all dont want to be famous.

spear_mint wrote: »
    she got an incredibly harsh sentance , she is doing her time , time people stopped trashing her

Very harsh sentence my eye, if she had tried it on over in Bali or the like, it would be death.

• Advertisement
    M

6 years and 8 months, she will have plenty of her life ahead of her when she's out. Perhaps she could do a TV slot at the airport when she's out to warn of the dangers of drug smuggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Ibiza looks like my idea of hell. I think I'd prefer a Peruvian jail, to be honest.

M

The owner of the Amsterdam Bar looks like he runs a tight ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

Looks older than his 28 years.

6 years and 8 months, she will have plenty of her life ahead of her when she's out. Perhaps she could do a TV slot at the airport when she's out to warn of the dangers of drug smuggling.

its an incredibly harsh sentance , most man slaughter sentances are shorter in this country, peru used her as a warning to others but jailing her is like jailing the guy on the corner instead of going after the kingpin who imports millions of gear

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'd believe him before I'd believe Michaella's version of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Have to say I feel incredibly sorry for her family, esp her mother.

its an incredibly harsh sentance , most man slaughter sentances are shorter in this country, peru used her as a warning to others but jailing her is like jailing the guy on the corner instead of going after the kingpin who imports millions of gear

I actually agree with a lot of that but comparing sentences for drug smugglers in one country with manslaughteres in another is pointless.

peru used her as a warning to others but jailing her is like jailing the guy on the corner instead of going after the kingpin who imports millions of gear

Are you serious? You do understand that they lock up a couple of hundred of european women every year doing this.
    They didnt use it as a warning, she is just 1 person in a long list that they have in prison over there and they dont give a **** nor should they.

M

She was lucky it wasn't one of these countries that she decided to smuggle from...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_for_drug_trafficking

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Have to say I feel incredibly sorry for her family, esp her mother.

from reading this thread , you would think she broke into an elderly person home , tied them to a chair and beat them until they handed over cash , those who have committed those kind of crimes have received lighter sentances than this young ( naive ) lady

"Where's Peru ?"

They didn't grow up on Paddington Bear stories anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Never heard of Lima. Incredible.

Lapin wrote: »
    I actually agree with a lot of that but comparing sentences for drug smugglers in one country with manslaughteres in another is pointless.

using that arguement , you could defend the amputation of limbs in saudi arabia

" well thats how they punish crime over there "

The sister seems as thick and naive as her.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anyone caught using, selling and importing especcially the drug lords should be dealt harshly.

I hate anyone and anything to do with drugs.

Who leaves home at 16 these accounts all seem very weird they're going on about.

All I keep hearing is mommy mommy, mummy mummy :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Did someone have a gun to her head:rolleyes:

Why was her mummy as they keep saying... keep funding her

this " boyfriend " seems like a slimeball

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

She got what she deserved. I don't sympathise and have never sympathised with her in the slightest. She did a stupid thing willingly, she got caught, and now she has to serve a sentence. Interested to see how this show will pan out...

Anyone caught using, selling and importing especcially the drug lords should be dealt harshly.

I hate anyone and anything to do with drugs.

Who leaves home at 16 these accounts all seem very weird they're going on about.

All I keep hearing is mommy mommy, mummy mummy :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Did someone have a gun to her head:rolleyes:

Why was her mummy as they keep saying... keep funding her

folk in northern ireland use the term " mummy and daddy " all the time , i know women in their thirties ( who are married to friends of mine ) from belfast who do , educated women

• Advertisement
    M

0.jpg

Advertisement