Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multimac 1260 with minimac for baby

• 04-06-2014 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Has anybody got any experience with the multimac system in your car? We have 3 kids under 4 and one coming in September so need to upgrade car or get the multimac 1260. They seem to have priced themselves out of the market as coming in at around €2500 when minimac included.... Would probably upgrade my car for that type of money!! Not very clever as everywhere I look for them second hand they have been snapped up... Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I suspect this isn't legal and would be contrary to your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Leydo10

They for sale in hyundai dealers so I'd say ok.... Company like that hardly selling something not approved...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ticktoe

Have you had any luck getting one second hand?

ticktoe wrote: »
    Have you had any luck getting one second hand?

Afraid not... Have searched everywhere but no luck....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,894 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Leydo10 wrote: »
    They for sale in hyundai dealers so I'd say ok.... Company like that hardly selling something not approved...

Hyundai sell cars which can go as fast as 200KM but it doesn't make driving that fast legal or approved ;)

• Advertisement

Hyundai sell cars which can go as fast as 200KM but it doesn't make driving that fast legal or approved ;)

Yes but limit 120km so I'm sure it complies and conforms to the limits of our roads. If you decide to go beyond this I am sure it will not work as it is designed to. Either way our use will be for town driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

These would not be legal and use will possibly void your insurance in a standard family car which has 5 passenger seats. The only way to legally use one of these would be in a 6/7 seater where maximum passengers does not exceed the number of seats.

Have checked with our insurance provider and accepted... RSA

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Doesn't make it road legal if carrying more than the capacity indicated on the registration cert - which is usually 5 or even 4 on some hatchbacks.

You have to let insurance company know that is all. I think some insurance companies don't accept but many do...

• Advertisement

You have to let insurance company know that is all. I think some insurance companies don't accept but many do...

I find it odd that fitting something into your car that allows you to carry more passengers than a car is fitted for is acceptable by your insurer. If you can get cover then may I suggest that you get something in writing that ensures that your policy allows same; a new insurance cert or a letter from them or something in print.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Was this contact over the phone? Did you inform them that your car has seating capacity for 5 persons but that you would be carrying 6 while using this child seat set-up? I can only imagine that the operator who told you it was accepted thinks it is some kind of standard car seat or does not know that you will be carrying 6 in a car with only 5 seats.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Insurance companies cannot alter the road legality of a vehicle!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I was once at a tech event in the US and the room was full of journalists, and it was one of the largest tech companies in the world showcasing a new feature which was very near launch stage.

Once the Q&A part started, I questioned the legality of the feature to the presenter of the presentation who I think had a tech background. PR people intervened saying I'm sure this big company checked before spending money on the system. No other tech journalist seemed to take my question seriously and worse still they did not seem to see the issue.

The industry who's rights were to be interfered with disagreed strongly with the tech company.

The feature never made it to launch. Over 10 years later it still has not.

I likely annoyed them but saved them millions in legal fees and claims of loss of earning. The moral of the story is that big companies do silly things all the time, they are run by people and make mistakes just like people, and often nobody questions them.

Thanks for replies, have ordered multimac 1260!! Will let you all know how it goes....

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭dedaw

Thanks for replies, have ordered multimac 1260!! Will let you all know how it goes....

Sorry for dragging up this thread, but did you get the multimac after? Any issues with fitting little people in and out? With insurance or nct?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'd be interested to know what legal issues people foresee with this (I considered it when the kids were smaller and we were having trouble fitting 3 child seats in the car, but it was just too expensive).

Insurance - presumably once the insurance company are informed it's fine
    Driving license - standard B license covers driving up to 8 passengers I think
    Seatbelts - you're legally required to have a restraint for each passenger, which this would cover.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know what legal issues people foresee with this (I considered it when the kids were smaller and we were having trouble fitting 3 child seats in the car, but it was just too expensive).

Insurance - presumably once the insurance company are informed it's fine
    Driving license - standard B license covers driving up to 8 passengers I think
    Seatbelts - you're legally required to have a restraint for each passenger, which this would cover.

There is a carrying capacity on the RF101. If you've got two up front you'll be breaking this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

foggy_lad wrote: »
    These would not be legal and use will possibly void your insurance in a standard family car which has 5 passenger seats. The only way to legally use one of these would be in a 6/7 seater where maximum passengers does not exceed the number of seats.

why?

lawred2 wrote: »
    why?

Read my post above this one

There is a carrying capacity on your registration cert. For most conventional cars its 5; 4 for some sportier models and 2 for sports cars.

A 4 across baby seat and two adults in the front is 6.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Read my post above this one

There is a carrying capacity on your registration cert. For most conventional cars its 5; 4 for some sportier models and 2 for sports cars.

A 4 across baby seat and two adults in the front is 6.

weird - we've a seven seater Qashqai+2 and it says 5 seats on the cert

You may want to get that sorted out!

L1011 wrote: »
    You may want to get that sorted out!

I read the revenue diktat on configuration changes and our registration cert.. All good. It's a people carrier class with 7 seats as carrier capacity.. However changes to this class as in adding seats don't need to be notified to revenue.

Well that's how I read it.

M1 is the type.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

Also consider the longer-term view - when your children start getting a bit older, you'll likely have playdates and may need the extra space of a bigger car for friends/bikes/luggage etc.
    Personally, I'd sooner spend the extra cash on trading in the car, as the children will grow out of the car seats in a pretty short time too!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I read the revenue diktat on configuration changes and our registration cert.. All good. It's a people carrier class with 7 seats as carrier capacity.. However changes to this class as in adding seats don't need to be notified to revenue.

Well that's how I read it.

M1 is the type.

Can you provide the link to the statute which you read?

Your insurance policy will usually only cover you when the vehicle hasn't been modified from standard. Your VLC says 5 seats yet you have 7. For the sake of the few hours it would take to get the VLC changed it'll save a lot of hassle if you ever need to use the insurance.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Can you provide the link to the statute which you read?

Your insurance policy will usually only cover you when the vehicle hasn't been modified from standard. Your VLC says 5 seats yet you have 7. For the sake of the few hours it would take to get the VLC changed it'll save a lot of hassle if you ever need to use the insurance.

It says 7.

It's an M1 MPV class.

It says 7.

It's an M1 MPV class.

You said "weird - we've a seven seater Qashqai+2 and it says 5 seats on the cert". Look.

Which is right?

You said "weird - we've a seven seater Qashqai+2 and it says 5 seats on the cert". Look.

Which is right?

Yes and I corrected myself. Obviously I was remembering a cert for an older car.

Am I OK to go now officer?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Dats_rite

Sorry for dredging up an old thread.

Does anyone have a 4 seater multimac and if so who are you insured with? Liberty have told me they wont cover it.

• Advertisement

Nobody can insure it, it breaches the seating capacity of the vehicle.

Advertisement