Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's that piece...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

IceFjoem wrote: »
    I haven't seen it, but given the topic I'm putting my money on 'Gymnopedie' by Erik Satie.

I'm afraid not. It sounds much busier than that, yet it's also gentler.

Could it be Ravel's Jeux D'eau?

That does actually remind me of it. But mine is slower, and there's a recurring pattern that is more noticeable. Your piece seems to change around a bit more.

And thanks everyone for your replies. This really is like looking for a needle in a haystack. My lack of musical knowledge isn't helping either. I just don't how to describe it.

I've managed to nab an audio sample from the documentary.

First of all, it sounds much different than I remember, so my awful description is now even less accurate. Second, don't tear me to shreds if you don't like it! :p

Sample

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

ThirdMan wrote: »
    I've managed to nab an audio sample from the documentary.

First of all, it sounds much different than I remember, so my awful description is now even less accurate. Second, don't tear me to shreds if you don't like it! :p

Sample

It's from Saint-Saens' Carnival of the Animals. The movement is 'the Aquarium'

darjeeling wrote: »
    It's from Saint-Saens' Carnival of the Animals. The movement is 'the Aquarium'

My quest is over. Many thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

I wonder can anyone here identify this Vivaldi violin sonata. The CD has it down as RV574 but that an entirely different piece.

Here's a youtube video of sonata to be identified.

To skip to a particular movement click below.

Movement 1

Movement 2

Movement 3

Movement 4

Thanks in advance.

Found it. It is:

Sonata for violin & continuo in C major ("Manchester Sonata" No. 12), RV 754

1. Preludio: Largo
    2. Allemanda: Allegro
    3. Sarabanda: Largo
    4. Corrente: Allegro

Thanks to anyone may have tried to identify it. I've updated the Youtube vid to reflect the correct name.

The Classical Archives site is very handy for quickly identifying pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

here my head is melted : ) anyone help me think of this piece please? It's a classical piece that's kinda Egyptian sounding - like something to do with Cleopatra maybe - gets louder and louder and more dramatic and has a steady drum roll type beat to it which just gets louder and louder as I say haha wish I could offer more information - with a string melody phrase which repeats and repeats and eventually big cymbal swells and all that - I hope somebody can think of what I'm thinking of - coz humming it at my computer screen isn't working : (

here my head is melted : ) anyone help me think of this piece please? It's a classical piece that's kinda Egyptian sounding - like something to do with Cleopatra maybe - gets louder and louder and more dramatic and has a steady drum roll type beat to it which just gets louder and louder as I say haha wish I could offer more information - with a string melody phrase which repeats and repeats and eventually big cymbal swells and all that - I hope somebody can think of what I'm thinking of - coz humming it at my computer screen isn't working : (

Sounds like bolero :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWcpw3GAAms

hahaha thanks eternally, I can take this revolver out of my mouth so ! and lament the attention I chose not to pay to good old Ms Mulchrone in music class... cheers. Mind you I'm about to sample it for a hip hop mash up so I really have no respect at all ; )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Bolero eh...essentially a minimalist piece...only thing that changes throughout is the instruments.

true that - but I wouldn't see the 'minimalist' description in a derogatory light.... all modern music comes from classical - which went o blues and to jazz and to rock'n'roll and then pop... the minimalism started with repeated phrases - DJ's are still doin that.... but when the idea of looping is done right and built upon creatively you can find a whole new layer of story telling - based on a platform of repeated phrases - that's the way I view it anyway - unfortunately most music these days takes the repetition concept that we hear in Bolero and old Baroque music and takes the p1ss and so much of it sounds like radio-puke - but not all of it! in every genre that uses repeated phrases like Jazz and melodic underground hip hop and even dub step - there's great works to be found - surrounded by utter mind numbing sub-mediocrity. Even Bolero gets annoying to me - it could have been better! luckily I just want a couple phrases of the melody to layer on top of a scene-song form Breaking Bad I just heard an hour ago when watching episode 3 season 5 when the two guys enter the fumigated house to start cooking meth! ha - wonder if Ravel ever thought he'd be mashing with a meth-cook soundtrack ; )

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Actually, for anyone interested, here's an interesting wee podcast about Ravel's Bolero, and a woman who did a painting of it called Unraveling Bolero. Apparently the sheer repetitiveness of the music was an early sign of Ravel's eventual mental degeneration.

What does that say about repetitive club DJs? :P

very interesting

I would refer anyone who thinks of most dance/DJ music as terrible and too repetitive to 'Underworld' who have always relied completely on waves of relentlessly repeating phrases but have done so with a level of creativity on some of their tracks which simply uses the symmetry of repetition to organically extract highs and lows and crescendos using beats which deserve respect and stand way above the mind numbing repetition you so often hear in music these days. This 'piece' can easily be compared to Bolero is its structure and layering - I know this is a classical forum but I'm just making the point that 'repetition is not necessarily failure or a reduction in 'brow' height. If you've no interest in dance music I recommend putting headphones on and turning this one up and opening your mind : )

I played in the orchestra at the RTE Proms when I was 12, got my performance diploma on the illustrious Treble recorder when I was 14 ....but I worked on the stage at Underworld when they played in Punchestown many years ago and I find if you can drop any preconceptions or mental barriers but retain a good appreciation of music or musical concepts then there's no denying quality in any genre if its there and you'll find so much more great music to hear... outside of your comfort zone... is all I'm saying : )

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭PatsyR

Whats the piece of music that plays over the Irish Independent's ad on tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

PatsyR wrote: »
    Whats the piece of music that plays over the Irish Independent's ad on tv?

The second movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony, also used very effectively in The King's Speech.

Edit: it's been re-composed a bit for the ad though to make it synch up

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭PatsyR

Thank you so much :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've just heard an ad for "Limerick Sings" festival - there's some choral piece played on it - does anyone know what the piece is? Sounds very familiar, but I can't for the life of me identify it. Sounds very Messiah-ish, but it isn't that.

Ad was on Lyric, but may be on other RTE stations.

Hopefully someone can identify it for me, it's driving me mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

Trumpet piece. Anyone know the name and composer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

You need to give a bit more information than just being a trumpet piece. Here's a few suggestions though

There's Henry Purcell's Trumpet Tune

or maybe Clarke's Trumpet Voluntary

Marzipan85 wrote: »
    Trumpet piece. Anyone know the name and composer?

You sure it's got a trumpet in it? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Marzipan85

Hi,

Mod copied my post here from another thread, leaving stuff out. Someone has already answered, so I know what the piece is. See below.

http://mariannesils.podomatic.com/entry/2013-07-31T04_40_00-07_00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2opGg4Bv0

Hey guys, don't suppose anyone knows what the piece of music in this video is? Is it from Firebird?

Thanks! :)

Music is credited towards the end of the video. It is La Mer from Debussy, first movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uGcDed4xVD4&t=193

The orchestration for military band I think gives it a Stravinsky feel with the additional brass and percussion.

dlouth15 wrote: »
    Music is credited towards the end of the video. It is La Mer from Debussy, first movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=uGcDed4xVD4&t=193

The orchestration for military band I think gives it a Stravinsky feel with the additional brass and percussion.

Ah Jaysus, that's probably the third time I've mistaken La Mer for a piece of Stravinsky's! I should probably listen to it a few times! :p

Thanks a mil! :)

• Advertisement

You're welcome. It's hard sometimes to recognize impressionist pieces like this especially if the extract starts some time in the middle. This is the first time I'd heard it done with a band and, although I thought it was probably La Mer, I had to play bits of the piece I have on CD to compare. I thought it might be an original piece done in the style of La Mer. Only at the end when I saw the music credited was I sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I heard this on Classic FM but the presenter must have given it the full speel on the intro as he said nothing when it ended. I've heard it a few times in the sporting arena and for some reason I thought Big Daddy (Shirley Crabtree) used it as a ring entrance theme (but might have been someone else from the lunchtime wretling on Saturday lunchtime about 30 years ago :(

daaa da, da-da da da da daa, da-da daa da-da, da-da da da da, da-da da, da-da da, da-da da daa

I think it was played on trumpets.

If you can get it from that you're a legend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

I heard this on Classic FM but the presenter must have given it the full speel on the intro as he said nothing when it ended. I've heard it a few times in the sporting arena and for some reason I thought Big Daddy (Shirley Crabtree) used it as a ring entrance theme (but might have been someone else from the lunchtime wretling on Saturday lunchtime about 30 years ago :(

You can get the Classic FM playlists on their website, it you knew what time and day you heard to piece at? http://www.classicfm.com/radio/playlist/2014/february/10/classic-fm-drive/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Contained in this promo is a very famous piece of classical music. For the life of me, I can't think of the name of it. I'll kick myself when I'm told it.

Thanks in advance! :)

DazMarz wrote: »
    Contained in this promo is a very famous piece of classical music. For the life of me, I can't think of the name of it. I'll kick myself when I'm told it.

It is the Aquarium from Carnival of the Animals by Saint Saens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69

Well done dlouth15 ! You beat me to it by 5 mins :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Thanks so much, guys!!! That's been torturing me all day. Searching YouTube and typing in such generic searches as "Fairytale classical music" and so on wasn't getting me anywhere!

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭mambo

DazMarz wrote: »

Saint-Saens
    "Carnival of the Animals" - "Aquarium" movement

plumpote wrote: »
    You can get the Classic FM playlists on their website, it you knew what time and day you heard to piece at? http://www.classicfm.com/radio/playlist/2014/february/10/classic-fm-drive/

Unofrtunately it was more than a few weeks ago, so I don't remember the specific date/time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Vinnie69

Just looking at your "Da" it reminds of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCPz9zygKEo&list=PLplxvYzy1lVfegiHQUYZYiRATKtn8IsuS&index=13 Hope I have hit the right note! :)

daaa da, da-da da da da daa, da-da daa da-da, da-da da da da, da-da da, da-da da, da-da da daa

I think it was played on trumpets.

If you can get it from that you're a legend. :D

Ok going by the 'daaaaa da' long short idea.. could it be..

although it's a bit downbeat.. might work for a wrestling baddie ..

Maybe something more high pitched/upbeat/optimistic ...and restyled with a pop beat by emerson lake and palmer!!! How about this..

Nope - sorry.

I think upon recollection it was by someone whose name begins with 'V' - I thought it was Vivaldi, but I cannot find it.

I'm going to die unfulfilled :(

Nope - sorry.

I think upon recollection it was by someone whose name begins with 'V' - I thought it was Vivaldi, but I cannot find it.

I'm going to die unfulfilled :(

Possibly beginning with V ...could be vivaldi!! He was more of a strings dude so I don't know about the trumpets idea...maybe the gloria?

It's not Vagner is it:o

Can you actually humm the tune in your head? Are your 'Daaaaa da"'s definitely right... what does the hyphen mean in the "da-da" also I presume the commas mean a little break ?

Try playing the first few notes on here maybe Melody finder thing

It's not Verdi by any chance you are thinking of?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Not Vangelis by any chance?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭4umbrellas

Big Daddy seems to have used 'We shall not be moved' as his entrance music, so it was probably a different wrestler.

• Advertisement

4umbrellas wrote: »
    Big Daddy seems to have used 'We shall not be moved' as his entrance music, so it was probably a different wrestler.

I associated it with Big Daddy. I thought it was one he sometimes used, but it may have been another wrestler from that era in British wrestling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Hi guys, I have a few pieces to identify (mp3 format). What would be the best website for you to put them on?

XVII wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have a few pieces to identify (mp3 format). What would be the best website for you to put them on?
    sound cloud I would suggest. I've also converted mp3s to video format and uploaded them to youtube but that is a bit more involved.

Can't wait, that last unsolved one is wrecking my head... Might begin with V eh!

Maybe before we hear the sound cloud excerpt the poster could do dahs,dees and dums in the spirit of things.

Anyway...ears at the ready.

Maybe before we hear the sound cloud excerpt the poster could do dahs,dees and dums in the spirit of things.
    haha it would be a bit too tough for me for these particular pieces.

So, here we go, 3 of them:
    https://soundcloud.com/crnl-1/sets/sounds
    Please bear in mind that they are taken from various songs where they were used as samples. So they can be slightly altered. For instance, track 1 has those quite beats, track 2 has a trumpet sound at the end (I'm not sure if it belongs to the original piece), and track 3 has a noise added.

I actually wanted to get these identified for ages, thanks for any help!

haha it would be a bit too tough for me for these particular pieces.

So, here we go, 3 of them:
    https://soundcloud.com/crnl-1/sets/sounds
    Please bear in mind that they are taken from various songs where they were used as samples. So they can be slightly altered. For instance, track 1 has those quite beats, track 2 has a trumpet sound at the end (I'm not sure if it belongs to the original piece), and track 3 has a noise added.

I actually wanted to get these identified for ages, thanks for any help!
    The second one sounds a bit like parts of Georgi Ligety's "Requiem" which was used in Kupric's film 2001 A Space Odyssey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wawSCvuGj4o

Sorry I can't help with the others.

3rd one sounds like the Kyrie Eleison from Mozarts Requiem.... BACKWARDS:eek:

Is this the work of Old Nick himself?

Armelodie wrote: »
    3rd one sounds like the Kyrie Eleison from Mozarts Requiem.... BACKWARDS:eek:

Is this the work of Old Nick himself?

Haha, sounds very much like. Thanks a lot, I would probably never figure this out.
    I'm checking Ligeti's piece now.

dlouth15 wrote: »
    The second one sounds a bit like parts of Georgi Ligety's "Requiem" which was used in Kupric's film 2001 A Space Odyssey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wawSCvuGj4o

Sorry I can't help with the others.

I listened to it twice, and although it sounds very similar at times, I still wasn't able to locate exact piece. Maybe I missed it?

• Advertisement

I listened to it twice, and although it sounds very similar at times, I still wasn't able to locate exact piece. Maybe I missed it?
    I couldn't find the exact place in it. I'm not sure it is actually Requiem by Ligeti either. Very hard to identify this sort of piece where there's no recognizable tune.

Advertisement