Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Transistor - Supergiant Games

• 10-05-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭

Surprised there's not a thread on this already, new game from indie darling Bastion developers.

From the creators of Bastion, Transistor is a sci-fi themed action RPG that invites you to wield an extraordinary weapon of unknown origin as you fight through a stunning futuristic city. Transistor seamlessly integrates thoughtful strategic planning into a fast-paced action experience, melding responsive gameplay and rich atmospheric storytelling. During the course of the adventure, you will piece together the Transistor's mysteries as you pursue its former owners.

Looks interesting, particularly the almost RTS style combat but definitely a similar vibe as Bastion from it. Hopefully it's as good or better without drawing too much from it's predecessor.

Pre-order is up now on the developer's website and on Steam if you're in to that kind of thing.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Really looking forward to this,looks really cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Been waiting for this since they showed it at E3 last year. It was on the very last Gamespot E3 interview. It crashed about 3 times on the PS4 demo kit:D. If it performs well sales wise I hope they bring out Bastion on PSN for the PS4 and or PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Launch Trailer, game is out tomorrow (20th May).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Something to keep me occupied till watch dogs comes along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I love the visual style of this and Bastion. It's a little pricey at the minute (€20) and I won't have time to play it in the next while anyway, so fingers crossed for a sale!

• Advertisement

Still not up on the store ; s

• Registered Users Posts: 55,446 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It looks like it could end up being the best reviewed game for the PS4 so far, shame it will be the weekend before I get to play it.
    Great combat mechanics and excellent writing help Transistor transcend the familiarity of its individual components. A gorgeous, intriguing, and ultimately moving tale, Supergiant's sophomore effort builds on the strengths that made Bastion so memorable without feeling like a mere retread. US Gamer

Its painterly visuals and pitch-perfect use of musical themes call to mind the greatest moments of 90's-era Japanese role-playing games. Its attention is focused on the first time through the game, but not lost on the second or third. Completing any one of these objectives would have been enough to satisfy those with a particular affinity toward a specific style, but watching them succeed as parts of a larger game widens its appeal and makes a declarative statement; Transistor is how games should be made. Digital Chump

Transistor’s the kind of game that made me immediately jump back in to take on New Game Plus. I wanted to continue exploring the excellent combat in new, more challenging scenarios. I wanted to double back on the areas that I’d missed the first time through, and try to fill in the gaps of the fantastic story. But most of all, I wasn’t ready to leave Red or her world behind. IGN

Transistor is an absolute triumph: a stunning sensory experience that buoys its lofty ambitions on a rock solid strategic core. It spins a tale of love, technology, and political and social unrest that speeds confidently towards a magnificent crescendo. What’s more, the razor sharp combat remains thrilling throughout, and the visuals and music display an almost superhuman level of polish. While niggling complaints can certainly be levelled at the gorgeous indie, a trip to Cloudbank comes highly recommended. Push Square

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

Loved Bastion. A little sad I wont get to play it until I get a PS4 or it comes to the X1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

rizzla wrote: »
    Loved Bastion. A little sad I wont get to play it until I get a PS4 or it comes to the X1.

It is out on PC as well.

• Advertisement

Vojera wrote: »
    I love the visual style of this and Bastion. It's a little pricey at the minute (€20) and I won't have time to play it in the next while anyway, so fingers crossed for a sale!

€15 ($20) if you buy it direct from the developer's website.

It activates on Steam via humblebundle. Downloading now, can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

RPS are slightly ambivalent. Good but could be better is the conclusion. That said, my interest is piqued

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Fun but buggy. I've had a couple of issues with the screen going black when scenes changed, and for the first time in many many years a runtime crash that brought the game and Steam itself to a halt which was interesting (the devs say it's something to do with the overlay but I haven't had a chance to check).

They seem to be actively patching it though and the game is interesting from my brief time with it yesterday.

I definitely echo the fun but buggy comment, was really enjoying the game but had to quit out due to the game locking up every couple of seconds when I entered a new area.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The soundtrack is up on Spotify is anyone is interested. Seems pretty damn good so far.

Good game so far,tough in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Only played an hour or two but finding it very good. Combat system is very strategic and the different function combinations adds plenty of options to attacks.Limiters make certain enemies harder but give extra XP and dying removes an attack for a period of time.Also if you are playing on PS4 make sure to turn on the controller speaker option.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Started playing this evening and was quite taken aback at how strong the opening hour is. It feels in so many ways a genuine step up from Bastion. The hybrid combat system is satisfying, involved and pleasingly visceral. The narrative seems to be communicated in a more direct and engaged way - a more cohesive part of the gameworld that Bastion's voiceover. The music is magnificent, and the setting haunting.

Early days yet, but certainly if the game can maintain that level of quality this seems like a strong refinement and evolution of Supergiant's distinctive style of design and storytelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,538 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

listening to my roommate play bits of it. its intriguing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The combat system in this is simply fantastic. There's a dizzying amount of permutations of all the different skills and abilities, and it's fun to test them all out. Better yet, the brilliantly cruel choice to strip you of a power instead of killing you outright means you can't quite stick with one set of powers and further encourages experimentation - a cheeky but inspired way of highlighting the systems' depths. The mixing of real time and turn based combat is very clever, and it uses the cover system really too. Dare I say it shames many even interesting RPG battle systems from recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

I really enjoyed playing this, the story, the gameplay, voice acting, everything impressed me. Why the ps4 pad speaker isn't on by default is baffling as its really effective.

One complaint, when you unlock everything, there are some combinations that are much too strong, furthered so when you add in passives.

Fantastic game though.

I gave up waiting for it in the Steam Sale and bought direct from the developer yesterday. I've only played about three hours but I'm really enjoying it so far.

It's very visually strong and looks really beautiful and the soundtrack and voice work are excellent.

I found the combat system a bit bizarre when I was playing yesterday but this evening it all sort of fell into place. I'm still half fumbling my way through it but experimenting is half the fun.

I love the info that pops up when you're planning your turn. I laughed out loud earlier because I was planning my attack for the last enemy of the round and had space for extra attacks so I kept adding until it had -481HP, at which point the little dialog box said "Do you even read?" :D

Edit: Also, so far so good on the bug front. No problems yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,538 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Vojera wrote: »
    I gave up waiting for it in the Steam Sale
    Mistaaaaaaake

Overheal wrote: »
    Mistaaaaaaake
    Not really. I worked out that the game + OST pack via the Humble Store was only about 50c more expensive than what it would be on Steam if it got the planned 25% discount, plus I got to play it now and feel fuzzy about the charity bit of buying through Humble.

And anyway, the game is actually worth full price so I don't feel hard done by at all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Finished this the other day. Once I got into the flow of it I absolutely loved it. The combat system is surprisingly deep and varied.

Very tempted to get straight back into it.

I finished Transistor today. Great story and well worth it a play. It took about ten hours, all told, but that includes doing the optional challenges too. I've started again in Recursion mode (you keep your level and unlocked abilities, but the enemies match your level, so you can't just blast through it) and now that I know the whole story I'm picking up on things I had missed before.

The patches obviously did the job as I didn't have a single problem while playing.

The Limiter system is similar to the Shrine in Bastion, in that you can give extra strength to your enemies in return for more XP, so you can make things tougher if you like.

There are 16 different abilities to unlock. Each has an active, upgrade and passive function and they combine in different ways so there are virtually endless combinations to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭brady12

Thinking of getting this off psn.thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Do it.

Once you get a feel for the combat, it's glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Digging this 3.5 year old thread up cause this was free with PS Plus a while back, so gave it a shot on PS4 and finished it

What. A. Game

It did stuff with fighting mechanics and skill trees I've never seen another game do

And the story telling (or lack there of?) was genuinely amazing, especially the final 3rd, cause the rest of the time, I was trying to wrap my head around whats going on, but the slow reveal works well here.

I'd highly recommend it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Sorry to revive this thread?

But this is on sale at the moment on nintendo eshop is it worth a punt at 3 euro?

Advertisement