Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Series maybe.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

We've had enough of the poxy cash grab reboots with none of their own ideas. They can go forward with the Star Trek story or go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I do think if CBS said to Netflix go for it Netflix would spare no expense to bring in the right show runners and writes.

I think Netflix have shown with there Netflix Originals they don't interfere hugely in the creative process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I do think if CBS said to Netflix go for it Netflix would spare no expense to bring in the right show runners and writes.

I think Netflix have shown with there Netflix Originals they don't interfere hugely in the creative process.

Agreed, Netflix have had some stellar shows in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Wonder where they'll set it? Post-Nemesis?

Guest appearances from TNG/DS9 peeps?

Rebuild from Dominon War, Romulan/Reman conflict, Cardassia

Or start completely fresh in a new era

I'd say if the were wise they should go with a fresh era.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

By new series does it mean hr long eps or a new series of movies?

Ive always thought they should have a cross over series where tng, ds9 and voyager are all in it to some degree with a couple new baddies

imagine picard, sisko and janeway in the same room!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

nc19 wrote: »
    By new series does it mean hr long eps or a new series of movies?

Ive always thought they should have a cross over series where tng, ds9 and voyager are all in it to some degree with a couple new baddies

imagine picard, sisko and janeway in the same room!!!

Well Sisko is MIA :P

Wonder if they would even consider touching that arc

IvySlayer wrote: »

Wonder if they would even consider touching that arc

Just to get Avery Brooks back on screen I might send Netflix a begging letter for that to happen :D

Once it's not more prequel stuff I'd be happier, I'm tired of 'what has gone before'...show me what happens next dammit!

The whole 'new enemy' thing isn't a good one if you ask me...the major players from the Alpha, Gamma & Delta Quandrants have all been done at this stage. It'd be a bit silly to just say "Hey, here's this huge enemy empire we've never noticed before". The only way to do that, would be to set it in a transwarp-era, where ships can travel, much faster/farther than before.

I've always thought that it'd be a good idea too, to set a new show away from a Federation perspective. Imagine a new show gets commissioned for five seasons:

Season 1 - Section 31 perspective
    Season 2 - Romulan perspective
    Season 3 - Cardassian perspective
    Season 4 - Klingon perspective
    Season 5 - Arc all the previous seasons together for the final season

He could be back yesterday according to the Prophets :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Once it's not more prequel stuff I'd be happier, I'm tired of 'what has gone before'...show me what happens next dammit!

Agreed. No more prequel stuff. The final frontier loses its oomph when its a frontier we already know and have been watching for 20 years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Serenity style Star Trek. A ship not affiliated with any major organisation, living on the fringe of space, surviving by doing whatever jobs they can find on various planets. Remnants of the Maquis maybe, or just some humans who want nothing to do with the Federation for whatever reason? Or go STU style, and send them off to a different Universe (not necessarily trying to get home though).

Probably wouldn't work, i've just been watching Firefly recently and remembering how brilliant it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Myrddin wrote: »

The whole 'new enemy' thing isn't a good one if you ask me...the major players from the Alpha, Gamma & Delta Quandrants have all been done at this stage. It'd be a bit silly to just say "Hey, here's this huge enemy empire we've never noticed before". The only way to do that, would be to set it in a transwarp-era, where ships can travel, much faster/farther than before.

I've always thought that it'd be a good idea too, to set a new show away from a Federation perspective. Imagine a new show gets commissioned for five seasons:

Game of Trek might work well in this context, like you could have all those perspective in each episode like in GoT. Also transwarp is a must, I always thought the galactic boundary highlighted that for all their technological progress the fed were in the grand scale of things just a step up the ladder from chemical propulsion rockets. Their dilithium chambers were like coal furnaces in steam trains and they relied on crystals, like coal, to achieve warp speed, it's fairly rudimentary. So an intergalactic set up, maybe 2-3 galaxies would place it in a new era and show that the preceding ones were historical.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Id imagine with the new films out and with tv shows like agents of shield tying in with the Marvel films which seems to be a "thing" now, that they would probably set it in the same timeline and universe of the new trek films, maybe on a different ship?

Personally though id much rather stick with the same universe as the older tv shows, i really don't like the whole resetting aspect of it as it ignores the cannon from them. Its like Alien3, it diminished my love of Aliens slightly because they killed Hicks and Newt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Kiith wrote: »
    Serenity style Star Trek. A ship not affiliated with any major organisation, living on the fringe of space, surviving by doing whatever jobs they can find on various planets. Remnants of the Maquis maybe, or just some humans who want nothing to do with the Federation for whatever reason? Or go STU style, and send them off to a different Universe (not necessarily trying to get home though).

Probably wouldn't work, i've just been watching Firefly recently and remembering how brilliant it is.

So its the Star Trek The Verse you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

keithgeo wrote: »
    Id imagine with the new films out and with tv shows like agents of shield tying in with the Marvel films which seems to be a "thing" now, that they would probably set it in the same timeline and universe of the new trek films, maybe on a different ship?

Personally though id much rather stick with the same universe as the older tv shows, i really don't like the whole resetting aspect of it as it ignores the cannon from them. Its like Alien3, it diminished my love of Aliens slightly because they killed Hicks and Newt!

Yeah the new universe is a reflection of contemporary culture, superficial and one dimensional. There's nowhere for it to go as it's based on the TOS one anyway that's already been perfectly explored, all they can do is re-explore that with bells and whistles and pretensions to seriousness via an over-emphasis on thematic 'darkness.' It's another version of the prequel syndrome.

I'm not sure if it would work long term but I would like to see maybe half a series set in the Mirror Universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Definitely hoping Netflix get it and that CBS don't act childish and keep the rights 'just in case' they might want to reboot it.

Also am in the same camp wanting the story of TNG era to continue. IMO Enterprise flopped on the simple fact of it being a prequel - the cast were good but the stories were so insignificant when you knew the Federation was going to eventually become TNG (spoiler alert? :pac: )

Prequels = Fail to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

It's good to think out the box but there is no way I could take an entire season of Klingon gumpf.

The Cardassians and Romulans? Maybe. Section 31 sounds really interesting but it would kinda trash for good the Roddenberry 'vision'.

Why not follow one core character around different ships as his/her career develops? Each ship a completely different class in a different sector with a different mission. So a defiant class vessel kicking ass in the frontiers sectors against pirates and slavers. A science class vessel doing genuine frontline exploring. A 'big stick' sovereign class multi tasker. A year spent on secondment to the klingons or cardassians (new allies?).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

FGR wrote: »
    Definitely hoping Netflix get it and that CBS don't act childish and keep the rights 'just in case' they might want to reboot it.

Also am in the same camp wanting the story of TNG era to continue. IMO Enterprise flopped on the simple fact of it being a prequel - the cast were good but the stories were so insignificant when you knew the Federation was going to eventually become TNG (spoiler alert? :pac: )

Prequels = Fail to me.

Enterprise was a flop, no arguments there, but I don't think it was the fact that it was a prequel that killed it.

I've always felt that Enterprise was a sorely squandered opportunity to get back to days were space exploration was unknown, full of dangerous baddies, and crewed by captains who weren't all that into the Prime Directive when it came to getting the job done.

By the time we had gotten to the end of Voyager, the TNG era seemed a little stale. I think that was mostly down to Rick Berman and the writing crew of the show, who after over a decade of continuous fandom had seemed to be sitting on their collective laurels. Plots appeared to be re-cycled often, and character development was hit-or-miss in my opinion.

This appeared to carry over to Enterprise, where the characters weren't all that different to previous incarnations of the show and TNG era plots and concepts were lazily recycled for use. (Ferengi for example :rolleyes:)

I've a feeling that if Berman & Co. were not involved and completely new blood was brought in, a better show might have been made. As it stood Enterprise was little more than 'Voyager-light' with some tech turned off, and that was just frustrating.

A prequel era show, where they were not chronically afraid of kicking off the Klingon War (another ENT gripe of mine. Incidentally, I'm excited about Axanar) might work really well.

A fresh take on the TNG era without the Berman crew would also be interesting.

My point being, its not what the show is that's important, but how it is done that counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Rawr wrote: »
    Enterprise was a flop, no arguments there, but I don't think it was the fact that it was a prequel that killed it.

I've always felt that Enterprise was a sorely squandered opportunity to get back to days were space exploration was unknown, full of dangerous baddies, and crewed by captains who weren't all that into the Prime Directive when it came to getting the job done.

Completely agree. I felt that Enterprise's failure stemmed from the fact that it didn't give the audience the prequel series it promised until too late in the show. It was sold as the early days of Star Fleet, no prime directive, first contact with TOS/TNG era alien races etc.

Instead we got this nonsense 'temporal cold war' plot and a completely new alien enemy. It was only later in the show once they introduced familiar races and started to show the alliances on which the Federation would be formed that the storylines improved.

I dont think enterprise was a flop to be honest, i enjoyed the later episodes and thought it was finding its feet when it was cancelled, the first season or so was brutal i agree, but i think it had a bit of potential in the end.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

yeah agree, i think it was prematurely cancelled, would have liked another season at least

Definitely needed another season or two. Enterprise was far better than Voyager pound for pound.

Definitely needed another season or two. Enterprise was far better than Voyager pound for pound.

This. I found Voyager terribly boring in parts, the crew where the poorest from any Trek Series, The Maqui crew integrated to the ship far too quickly, they should have used that for way more storylines with conflict, mutiny's etc. The only redeemable characters from it for me was the Doctor and that mad lad played by Brad Douriff, the rest of the crew where bland in my opinion. :pac:

I think now, in this day and age and the sort of TV shows that are popular now, Trek needs to get with the times and come up with Far more grittier storylines than the fluffy popcorn message of the week episodes. We need something like battlestar\walking dead\thrones flavour, more grown up with an over all storyline revealed over a few seasons. The old way of doing Trek is dated now, you cant get away with TV shows like that anymore, people expect more.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

Enterprise and Voyager were both rubbish. We don't need any new series for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Wonder where they'll set it? Post-Nemesis?

Guest appearances from TNG/DS9 peeps?

Rebuild from Dominon War, Romulan/Reman conflict, Cardassia

Or start completely fresh in a new era

I always thought the story on star trek online was good. Romulas blown up billions of Romulans killed the Klingons are strangest they've ever been and fighting an increasingly desperate stalemate war against the fed.

Would be cool to see something like that on the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

liam24 wrote: »
    Enterprise and Voyager were both rubbish. We don't need any new series for a while.

For a while? Its been nearly a decade since Enterprise was axed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Rawr

syklops wrote: »
    For a while? Its been nearly a decade since Enterprise was axed.

Indeed. I'm living in hope that the likes of Axinar might kick-start interest into a new Prime universe show. Preferably in the same Pre-TOS (but nearly TOS) era, especially since Axinar appears to be showing how to do TOS-style *right* with current film technology. (Style-wise ENT felt more like a soul-less mish-mash of the warp-ship from First Contact and the Defiant. Got no feel of TOS there at all).

I suppose you could also do a JJ-verse show, but that doesn't feel like something I'd want to watch. The films are fun and all...but it's always been the Prime universe that kept me coming back to even the drudgery of Voyager.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

yeah agree, a ust pre- TOS would suit me right now, i hope axanar is a raging success.

hopefully netflix will take a punt on it

Advertisement