Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help! Advice needed - Problem with Cars Online

Options
  • 20-06-2014 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I recently started learning to drive and decided to buy a car with my boyfriend. After researching a lot of cars online we saw a couple that we liked the look of in Cars Online on the JFK Road, Dublin 12 and went out on the 2nd of May to take a look.

We decided on an 05' Renault Megane and were dealing with Gary Brown. Gary let us take the car for a spin, told us a bit about it and told us that they'd service it for us first and give us a 3 month warranty. We (stupidly) didn't have an independent mechanic take a look and bought it the same day. Since Gary said we had a 3 month warranty we weren't too worried about it.

We paid a €200 and paid the €2,450 balance later that day when we collected the car. We also traded in an 03' Hyundai Getz which they gave us €300 for. When we went back to pick up the car we dealt with Brian. He seemed lovely, down to earth and very genuine. He was very reassuring about the sale. He really pushed the 3 month warranty and said not to worry, that if anything at all happened we could just bring the car back and that they would look after it for us.

So on the 2nd of May we drove away with our new car and all was fine until last Wednesday evening (the 11th of June) when we started the car and saw a 'Steering Fault' error and couldn't drive the car. We got the car towed to the Cars Online garage the next day and they said the power steering motor was gone and they would replace it.

Today my boyfriend went to collect the car and was told on the phone a few minutes before he got there that the repairs cost €450 and that he couldn't take the car until this was paid. They are saying that the warranty only covers engine and gearbox. Do we have a leg to stand on or are we screwed because we trusted Gary and Brian and took them at their word?

I really need advice on this as I'm feeling sick about the whole thing. I really feel like we've been completely scammed and lied to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Always read the small print

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Dangel4x4

A warranty from a car salesman, and the small print in it, doesn't mean sh1t.

Any warranty he might give you is in addition to your statutory rights.

Read section 13 of the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, and talk to a solicitor
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/sec0013.html#sec13

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

SMALL CLAIMS COURT...costs you nothing if you lose. If you win,repairs are paid for. Either way you can't lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

In theory you're protected by the sale of goods act, car has to be fit for purpose for a year after you buy it. A failure like that isn't something just down to wear and tear from you driving it.

In practice, these things tend to depend on how much you can stand up to the seller, and as mentioned, small claims court is one suggestion/reference you could make, it might work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Is the warranty with a third party agent or just on the word of the garage? If a third party is supplying warranty then look to speak to them directly. That engine & drivetrain warranty is shady too as clutch is not warranty and gearbox failure can be blamed on driver error also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is there any reference to this warranty on the sales docket?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

Exact same "customer service" from the said garage. Warranty has more exclusions. Avoid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement