Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heritage Studies?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭MayoArsehole

Mike747 wrote: »
    Well including the BETA I've been on the dole for 2 and a half years. I don't think its something to ashamed of in this day and age, as long you keep striving to improve yourself anyway.

I believe education is never wasted, and I know heritage studies will stand to me no matter what road I go down. I would recommend the course to anyone who has an interest in history, archaeology, geography etc, but you should view it as a steeping stone to further education and decide if its for you or not.

It was not wasted in the sense that now I know what kind of education is useless. 5 years on dole is shameful trust me especially because I never stopped striving to improve myself anyway.

All in all Heritage is a waste of time to anybody with realistic aspirations of doing something with their lives or having a good job, people would be far better served completing a trade and emigrating. There is nothing in this country for Arts or Humanities graduates, Ireland has no place for culture anymore just minimum wage slaves who are going to repay the Banker and Developer 90 billion debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MacAibhne

All in all Heritage is a waste of time to anybody with realistic aspirations of doing something with their lives or having a good job, people would be far better served completing a trade and emigrating. There is nothing in this country for Arts or Humanities graduates, Ireland has no place for culture anymore just minimum wage slaves who are going to repay the Banker and Developer 90 billion debt.

With an attitude like that you really are going to get nowhere. As a Heritage Student myself I find it quite horrible you would degrade a subject that so many of us feel strongly about and to make a mockery of it by saying most of us copy and paste and that its not hard is not on. No harm to you but you have chosen a wise name for your username as its quite fitting. I have found it hard at times and so have many of my friends also but all I can see is that either it was easier back in your day or else your just some sort of genius (who couldnt manage to get of the dole for 5 years and somehow feels its Heritage Studies fault). Sort your life out and quit complaining publicly looking for either sympathy or attention. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 lollygmit1

anyway any employer just refers to heritage as a Humanities degree. Well at least that's my experience

MacAibhne wrote: »
    With an attitude like that you really are going to get nowhere. As a Heritage Student myself I find it quite horrible you would degrade a subject that so many of us feel strongly about and to make a mockery of it by saying most of us copy and paste and that its not hard is not on. No harm to you but you have chosen a wise name for your username as its quite fitting. I have found it hard at times and so have many of my friends also but all I can see is that either it was easier back in your day or else your just some sort of genius (who couldnt manage to get of the dole for 5 years and somehow feels its Heritage Studies fault). Sort your life out and quit complaining publicly looking for either sympathy or attention. :pac:

Actually I have a job in Penneys, that's what you get out of Heritage, a job in ****ing Penneys. With your attitude you are going to get far less farther than me ya fool. Good luck being Charles Dickens of the internet. No sympathy required, it was written for benefit of more intelligent people than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

MayoArsehole and MacAibhne I don't know why both of you feel the need to be such dicks on a forum literally only here to assist prospective/current students. Cop on or you won't be posting on here much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Wemysical

Well I can't wait to study what I love in the coming year in Heritage studies, I can see that there isn't much job prospects in the current climate but I plan to either travel to Canada with the Honors BA or do a postgrad in Trinity or UCD, no way I'm going to settle for less :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52 ✭✭Marvel80

Good attitude Wemysical I have a Heritage Studies Degree and worked for O2 and got to assistant manager on €30,000 a year with 27 days holidays, people from my class manage heritage sites museums among other things if you have a realistic area of interest and a bit of focus you can and will get a job in time and no matter what you study now jobs are thin on the ground in Ireland. I am now studying Midwifery and its a really tough course and no jobs in Ireland but its more my passion than Heritage was so I will persue it and move abroad if I need too. I found Heritage Studies a great grounding course with many practical elements that prepare you for further study or working in the real world. Best of luck to anyone who studies it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BigMan07

I am currently in 3rd year heritage, i am just wondering when choosing between event management and a language which would be a better choice regarding more career opportunities

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

BigMan07 wrote: »
    I am currently in 3rd year heritage, i am just wondering when choosing between event management and a language which would be a better choice regarding more career opportunities

Language definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Stair1540

Heritage graduates from Castlebar have gone in to work with National Parks and Wildlife Service, Irish Peatland Conservation Council, Marine Institute, Jackie Clarke Museum, National Museum, Rural Social Scheme, OPW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Yeracp

Hi I'm just wondering is there a part time heritage studies course? I think I would prefer the more geography based course. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

Mike747 wrote: »
    Language definitely.

Language is way more useful though it can be hard work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Galway wrote: »
    Language is way more useful though it can be hard work.

Yep, this.

I did Irish up to second year. I love Irish, I'm pretty good at it, but 3rd and 4th years were really tough according to the people that stayed on.

Plus, I genuinely wanted to do the business modules - event management in 3rd year (i only did it the first sem, coz there was a really good heritage elective the second sem), then entrepreneurship, and innovation & creativity in 4 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Harrycat

Well it appears I am definatly going to do Heritage studies in Sept, so thanks for the info everyone!

Hi just wondering if you did Heritage studies and if you liked it. What kind of employment did it lead to. Anything you can tell me would be very welcome. Thanks. Jack

• Advertisement

Not sure how recent this is, but it appears Heritage studies which is now called History & Geography and another similar program called Culture and Environment are available at the Castlebar campus.

Just posting it here in case there is anybody lurking who is interested.

https://www.gmit.ie/heritage/higher-certificate-history-geography

https://www.gmit.ie/heritage/bachelor-arts-culture-and-environment

Advertisement