Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** LC Applied Maths 2014 - Before and after discussion **

• 11-06-2014 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭

A thread for the supreme subject that is App Maths.

This is the ranking of the questions in terms of popularity in 2012:

1. Linear Motion
    2. Dynamics
    3. Collisions
    4. Projectiles
    5. Differential Equations
    6. Relative Velocity
    7. Rigid-body Motion
    8. Circular Motion/SHM
    9. Statics
    10. Hydorstatics

The first four were answered by over 90% of candidates. With the exception of Hydrostatics, each question's popularity-rank was within two places of its performance-rank.

In the four years for which information is available since 2000 (Chief Examiner's Reports), in only one year has one of the trio of CM/SHM, Statics and Hydrostatics had more than a 20% response-rate.

In Q1, the trend has been to alternate part-b between a more involved equations-of-motion question than part-a (usually a horizontal acceleration question involving two particles or one particle with information about different stages of its motion) and a Velocity-Time graph question. Last year's part-b was a V-T graph.

Q4 hasn't had a wedge part-b in ages.

The Physics Teacher is a very good resource which has notes and an incomplete archive of past papers going back to the 70s. I would advise that, at this stage, no one try to study his notes, as the way in which different teachers approach questions can differ quite a lot.

What you need for the exam:

Writing implement
    Calculator
    Log tables
    Ruler and pencil
    Lucky teddy bear

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

A paper like the mock and ill be set ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Great OP!

In the context of the format of the App Maths paper having remained strikingly unchanged for over a decade, I think the several minor oddities* on last year's paper should be seen as an explicit indication by whoever sets the paper that they intend to start being more adventurous. What's also interesting is that all the other questions were entirely usual. Therefore, I think we'll see one of 1, 3, 4, having a slight twist or unusual format.

*5(b), 6(a), 10(c)

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

I'm surprised at the hydrostatics rate, that's normally (I think) quiet tame compared to the rest of the questions.

For myself it depends on Q1 and Q4. If they're nice we'll all be laughing...

How are people fixed for calculus? I know a lot of people don't do it after the changes in the maths course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 CelestialKing

Didn't a wedge come up last year? They are soooooo easy! I would kill for one!!

You should definitely be doing Q10 now with the changes, no more substitution (not that it's hard, just takes longer). The question is severly nerfed and you'll be saving tonnes of time by doing it. Other Qs take about 23 mins whereas Q10 takes 10-15 mins so I recommend that.

As for me I'll be banking on:

-1 Projectiles
    -2 Connected Particles
    -3 Differential Equations
    -4 Collisions
    -5 Linear Acceleration
    -6 Relative Velocity

For no reason at all, relative velocity is my worst answered, any general tips? I may scrap it for Simple Harmonic because Circular Motion is the easiest thing on the course!

What're you guys hoping for, result-wise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

I would love an A1 or A2 but it purely depends on how the paper is urself?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

Those stats can be misleading: there's no knowing the calibre of students who would attempt minority questions.

Don't remember, but it's been four or five years since a wedge. They can get pretty involved, especially if there ar emultiple paticles, two faces, friction with the ground, etc.

1-5 and 10?! No originality! I think RBM may be the easiest question on the course.

qweerty wrote: »
    Those stats can be misleading: there's no knowing the calibre of students who would attempt minority questions.

Don't remember, but it's been four or five years since a wedge. They can get pretty involved, especially if there ar emultiple paticles, two faces, friction with the ground, etc.

1-5 and 10?! No originality! I think RBM may be the easiest question on the course.

Last I checked it wasn't an originality test! If it was I'd be doing Hydrostatics. Has it really been that long for a wedge? I want one sooo badly! We didn't study RMB so I wouldn't know how easy it is, which Q is it normally on the paper?

I really need an A1. Don't know if I can pull it off. 2 days free before the exam though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PaleMoonlight

I've 7 questions covered, should I aim to get 7 done or just 6 and leave out the one I think is hardest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CianDowd

My plan is to do:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10.
    I may do 6 instead of one but I'm out of practice on them.

I really want Q4 to avoid wedges but I think that they're due up. :(

We had a teacher swap at Christmas and I did poorly in the mocks as a result of that and other things but I'm hopeful that I'll do much better in the real thing.

Anyone else hoping that wedges won't come up?
    Has it really been that long for a wedge? I want one sooo badly! We didn't study RMB so I wouldn't know how easy it is, which Q is it normally on the paper?

It has been that long since wedges came up. I don't want one but the odds are in your favour. :/

I tried RBM but as I'm not good at rote learning so the proof parts were tricky for me and I struggled with the second part too. :(
    I've 7 questions covered, should I aim to get 7 done or just 6 and leave out the one I think is hardest?

If you stick to about 20 mins a question then you should have time for a seventh but it can be hard to stick to that and I generally find it's more useful to go back to others if I have time.
    Still if you're confident with what you've done and you have time you could try a seventh if you were up to it. :)

CianDowd wrote: »
    If you stick to about 20 mins a question then you should have time for a seventh but it can be hard to stick to that and I generally find it's more useful to go back to others if I have time.
    Still if you're confident with what you've done and you have time you could try a seventh if you were up to it. :)

Thank you, I'll try do the 7 then :) I managed it in the last mock I did so hopefully I'll do it again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mcratsix

If I were you I wouldn't plan on doing seven. Pick your best six and do them carefully and slowly, try to get as many marks as you can even if you get stuck on a question. Sometimes you'll get a question done quickly, like q10 can be really simple, so if you've 20 mins to spare then sure, do another q. But i wouldn't put myself under pressure to do 6 questions quickly so I can cram in a 7th, you'll just make mistakes.
    CianDowd wrote: »
    My plan is to do:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10.
    I may do 6 instead of one but I'm out of practice on them.

I really want Q4 to avoid wedges but I think that they're due up. :(

We had a teacher swap at Christmas and I did poorly in the mocks as a result of that and other things but I'm hopeful that I'll do much better in the real thing.

Anyone else hoping that wedges won't come up?

I basically have the exact same plan for the exam, hoping wedges don't come up either, but i think if they do I could do it. Q8 and q1 are interchangeable for me, sometimes q1 can actually be really difficult.

I hate statics and hydrostatics, usually I find it impossible to just get a good force diagram and to get started on the q. We didn't cover q6. I expect a pretty hard exam, the only questions that are consistently easy are q3,5 and 10 imo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I've no choice but to do 1-5 and 10. I know some of 7 but not enough for a full question :(

I like them all except RV - that I hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

Can someone explain me why is t4+t6=t in question 1, b) iii) in 2011?
    q0bSFme.png

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    I've no choice but to do 1-5 and 10. I know some of 7 but not enough for a full question :(

Statics? Oh god don't do statics :pac:

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

That describes me perfectly, I know they're easy but damn those RVs... I NEVER get it fully out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

Nicke011 wrote: »
    Can someone explain me why is t4+t6=t in question 1, b) iii) in 2011?
    q0bSFme.png

It follows from there being same acceleration in part (ii) as in part (iii)
    If it take t1 seconds to get to a speed v, and t4 seconds to get to a speed (2/3)v then for the same acceleration it must be true that t4 = (2/3)t1
    A similar argument holds for t2 and t6, so that t6 = (2/3)t2
    Then t4 + t6 = (2/3)t1 + (2/3)t2 = (2/3)[ t1+t2 ]
    From part (ii) t1 + t2 = t so by substituting t4 + t6 = (2/3)t

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

So I've decided I'm going to do pass I already have seven subjects and have done no study for this in months.
    Anybody know how difficult ordinary is to pass? Question 1-3 OL look like you could do well in them if you were decent at mechanics in physics.

Lads, seriously, what's with this weather? Two exams on Friday and I can't study with the heat. Anyway, what do people think of Q3? I'm not great at trigonometric manipulation, but it's normally a nice enough question otherwise. Would most of ye plan on doing it?

Ompala wrote: »
    It follows from there being same acceleration in part (ii) as in part (iii)
    If it take t1 seconds to get to a speed v, and t4 seconds to get to a speed (2/3)v then for the same acceleration it must be true that t4 = (2/3)t1
    A similar argument holds for t2 and t6, so that t6 = (2/3)t2
    Then t4 + t6 = (2/3)t1 + (2/3)t2 = (2/3)[ t1+t2 ]
    From part (ii) t1 + t2 = t so by substituting t4 + t6 = (2/3)t
    Got it! Thanks :)
    Lads, seriously, what's with this weather? Two exams on Friday and I can't study with the heat. Anyway, what do people think of Q3? I'm not great at trigonometric manipulation, but it's normally a nice enough question otherwise. Would most of ye plan on doing it?
    I'm doing 1,2,3,4,5,10 as majority of the people here :) if you need help, you can ask here :)

Are there any questions from certain years it'd be worth doing? I'm getting a bit bored here and feeling like I'm wading through an ocean :pac:

• Advertisement

I'm doing 1,2,3,4,5,10 as majority of the people here :) if you need help, you can ask here :)

I'm definitely doing 1, 2, 4, 9 and 10. It'll be a toss up on the day between 3 and 5. I'm surprised no-one's doing 9, I normally find that quiet easy.

Are there any questions from certain years it'd be worth doing? I'm getting a bit bored here and feeling like I'm wading through an ocean :pac:

My teacher has marked out questions for me to do which practices which type of question, what questions are you doing and I could message some on to you if you like?

My teacher has marked out questions for me to do which practices which type of question, what questions are you doing and I could message some on to you if you like?

Sure if you want to take a pic, but don't let me waste your time :eek:

I'm doing 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8 and 10.

I recon Mocks would be a useful one to do. :)
    I'm definitely doing 1, 2, 4, 9 and 10. It'll be a toss up on the day between 3 and 5. I'm surprised no-one's doing 9, I normally find that quiet easy.
    That's hydrostatics? I was told on the first day by my teacher that we are definitely not going to do it, because hydrostatics is the hardest question... That's why I always wanted to do it, or at least see what's so much hard about it :D but yeah, never had time... That's just how this educational system works.
    I would very confidently say that she didn't know how to do them, so she didn't want us to try them.
    Could you message me? That sounds like something really helpful and time-saving at this stage :) 1,2,3,4,5,10

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

I recon Mocks would be a useful one to do. :)

That's hydrostatics? I was told on the first day by my teacher that we are definitely not going to do it, because hydrostatics is the hardest question... That's why I always wanted to do it, or at least see what's so much hard about it :D but yeah, never had time... That's just how this educational system works.
    I would very confidently say that she didn't know how to do them, so she didn't want us to try them.

Could you message me? That sounds like something really helpful and time-saving at this stage :) 1,2,3,4,5,10

Your teacher is talking absolute rubbish, it is in no way the hardest question
    In fact many times its been much easier than the popular questions
    The reason its not widely taught is because many teachers have never studied it themselves

I'm doing 9, but I personally disagree about it being the easy, depends on the question though. Sometimes it's lovely and other times its terrible.

Anyone else the only person doing Applied Maths in their school? Will be a bit awkward in the exam hall

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wafture

I would also really really appreciate this please if you have time! I'm doing 1-5 and 10 :)

Ewwww q9. Why not q3? That's like easiest q on the entire exam, in my opinion.

I'm doing 9, but I personally disagree about it being the easy, depends on the question though. Sometimes it's lovely and other times its terrible.

Anyone else the only person doing Applied Maths in their school? Will be a bit awkward in the exam hall

I actually prefer doing it when there are few or no people around me, it's much easier. I was the last one left in the classroom for two exams (for about an hour), and it wasn't awkward at all :)
    Relax, and take your time... Don't think about getting out earlier because examiner has to be there anyway.

• Advertisement

wafture wrote: »
    I would also really really appreciate this please if you have time! I'm doing 1-5 and 10 :)

If you go onto thephysicsteacher.com, you can get papers back to the early 90s. If you can do these questions, you'll fly the exam on Friday, they're a good 20% harder on average I'd say. However, if you're trying these questions and getting nowhere, then just leave them because it's a waste of time, and it'll just make you feel unnecessarily scared. But I'd try them and see.

Advertisement