Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie/Alternative Magazines

Options
  • 16-06-2014 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭

As in the title.

Used to love the weeklys and monthlys when I was younger - nothing got me more excited when I was 16/17 that bunking off school on a Wednesday, getting the bus into Easons and picking up the NME and Melody Maker.

Was a big fan of Select magazine too, which always had awesome free cd's, helped me discover some amazing bands.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭mosstin

Sounds also deserves a mention. Once idiots like Everett True got on board with Melody Maker it became less essential reading. Liked Uncut for a few years but it badly needs a new editor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Steven Wells (SWELLS) is sorely missed

Loved reading his stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Uncut is the only modern magazine I buy!

Temaz wrote: »
    Uncut is the only modern magazine I buy!

Q has gone to ****e in recent years

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Select & NME were great in the early to mid 90s (also Vox, which was NME's monthly publication). never liked Melody Maker - the writing always seemed very arrogant.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    Select & NME were great in the early to mid 90s (also Vox, which was NME's monthly publication). never liked Melody Maker - the writing always seemed very arrogant.

That was part of its charm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

mosstin wrote: »
    Sounds also deserves a mention. Once idiots like Everett True got on board with Melody Maker it became less essential reading. Liked Uncut for a few years but it badly needs a new editor.

Used to get it every month too mainly for the CDs, but when i got the last couple for the end of year lists, it does seem to have gone downhill, seems to go in for more mature acts these days. There used to be a magazine called Vox too, not sure if it was only music, anyone remember it from the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Vox was decent alright but Select was essential reading for any indie fan of the 90s. The tapes they gave away in the early days were absolutely brilliant. http://www.discogs.com/Various-Secret-Tracks-2/release/239798
    I once picked myself out of a picture taken at a Frank and Walters gig in Sir Henrys from about 91 or 92:P

Back in those days I would quite often buy a record/tape/cd on the strength of a good review from select, I was rarely disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭smacg

Vox was decent alright but Select was essential reading for any indie fan of the 90s. The tapes they gave away in the early days were absolutely brilliant. http://www.discogs.com/Various-Secret-Tracks-2/release/239798
    I once picked myself out of a picture taken at a Frank and Walters gig in Sir Henrys from about 91 or 92:P

Back in those days I would quite often buy a record/tape/cd on the strength of a good review from select, I was rarely disappointed.

I think I must have got that one back then, I remember buying the Velvet Crush album at the time because I liked that song.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

under the radar is good and it doesn't give you a CD - instead gives you access to free downloads - magazine only comes out once every three months though

• Advertisement

Hot Press was always proverbial back-up jacks roll

Absolute garbage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

donfers wrote: »
    under the radar is good and it doesn't give you a CD - instead gives you access to free downloads - magazine only comes out once every three months though
    I visit their website every so often. Definitely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

Hot Press was always proverbial back-up jacks roll

Absolute garbage

Hot Press was okay, I haven't bought it in years (or any other music mag) The problem with HP for me is that it tries to be all things to all men. Maybe they have to in a country this small but the football bit, the comedy bit, the writers are the new rockstars bit and all the faux controversial crap just diluted the magazine. I especially got sick of the political interviews and the predictable questions, do you have an ipod? Have you ever smoked cannabis? just boring. In fairness it has to be hard to fill a magazine nothing but music every 2 weeks. I also bought Q for years (they're for sale if anyones interested)

Advertisement