Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teacher Training in UK Edge Hill University

Options
  • 09-06-2014 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi I hope someone can help me!
    I have received an interview at Edge Hill University in Liverpool for there
    PGCE Secondary English (Age Phase 11-16) with QTS to training to become a secondary school teacher.

Does anybody know if this course is a recognized qualification here in Ireland? Once I complete this year at Edge Hill University and one year teaching in an UK school, I will be an accredited secondary school teacher in the UK. Would this qualification be valid for registering with the teaching council here in Ireland as a secondary school teacher?
    (I have been in touch with the teaching council but they haven't really anwsered the question.)
    I'm a bit worried with the Age Phase being 11-16 not 12-18 years as it would be here in Ireland.

If anyone has any info on this it would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Corkcinderella

Hi

I did an irish and maths degree in ucc and then went onto Edgehill to do my pgce and completed my nqt year over! All I had to do to get recognised in Ireland was the exam on "the history and structure if the irish education system" it's on twice a year in maynooth! I actually think you can register with the teaching council first and then they give you a time frame to have it passed! Then it's just a case of transcripts and I think I had to get my school in the UK to fill a form about my nqt year!

I now have full teaching council registration to teach both maths and irish to leaving cert level!

Edgehill university is automatically recognised by the teaching council here, there's a list on their website, (there's only 2 UK university's automatically recognised) because if you go to a different university in the UK you'd have to give the teaching council a break down of the course and assignments I think whereas with Edgehill you only need the transcript which was great!

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Spice30

Thank you so much.
    That info is really helpful.

Did you like Edgehill? Living in that area? Was it expensive to live there? Any tips for the interview?
    Any general info would be great, thank you so much again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Corkcinderella

Interview was grand, they were very nice and I can't even remember what they asked me, nothing too daunting!

Ormskirk is a nice little town, I had problems trying to open an account because I had no postcode from Ireland and I didn't have a certain type of lease or something so I had to open some sort of special account with HSBC,(that had a monthly fee) hopefully you won't have any problems opening an account!

I liked it, met some really nice people on my course! Most people on my course commuted to Ormskirk, I think only 3 of us lived in the town! I looked up accommodation and ended up renting a house with ellbec, they had a few houses all really nice, and they were sound! (I did my nqt year in Liverpool and they left me keep my stuff in the house for the summer so I could go home and not have to pay for it in storage). I did share the house with first and second years which wasn't ideal but I'm away going enough so it didn't bother me!

I got the bursary while I was there because I did maths so I didn't find it that expensive!

The public transport over is great and the university will always try and get your placements that are easy to access when you don't have a car!

If you have any other questions ask away, I'm just trying to think back about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭openup

Hi I'm doing a PGDE in Birmingham come September and I just wanted to say that I don't think having your English qualification recognised in Ireland is so easy any more, now that it's a two year masters course here. I emailed the teaching council earlier in the year and they said that there are NO courses in England that are equivalent to the PME. But I still opted to go to the UK for financial reasons (and because if I did a PME I'd still probably end up emigrating to get work anyway).

Interview was grand, they were very nice and I can't even remember what they asked me, nothing too daunting!

Ormskirk is a nice little town, I had problems trying to open an account because I had no postcode from Ireland and I didn't have a certain type of lease or something so I had to open some sort of special account with HSBC,(that had a monthly fee) hopefully you won't have any problems opening an account!

I liked it, met some really nice people on my course! Most people on my course commuted to Ormskirk, I think only 3 of us lived in the town! I looked up accommodation and ended up renting a house with ellbec, they had a few houses all really nice, and they were sound! (I did my nqt year in Liverpool and they left me keep my stuff in the house for the summer so I could go home and not have to pay for it in storage). I did share the house with first and second years which wasn't ideal but I'm away going enough so it didn't bother me!

I got the bursary while I was there because I did maths so I didn't find it that expensive!

The public transport over is great and the university will always try and get your placements that are easy to access when you don't have a car!

If you have any other questions ask away, I'm just trying to think back about it!

Thanks that's great info.
    Planning on going over for the interview anyway going to stay in Liverpool and travel out to the university on the day of the interview. Think there's a train? Or what would be the best? Do you know any good places / areas to stay in liverpool? Thanks again.

• Advertisement

openup wrote: »
    Hi I'm doing a PGDE in Birmingham come September and I just wanted to say that I don't think having your English qualification recognised in Ireland is so easy any more, now that it's a two year masters course here. I emailed the teaching council earlier in the year and they said that there are NO courses in England that are equivalent to the PME. But I still opted to go to the UK for financial reasons (and because if I did a PME I'd still probably end up emigrating to get work anyway).

Hi. Yeah I was in touch with the teaching council recently and they basically don't no yet how they are going to manage people coming back from training in the UK. Which is kind of annoying given the amount of money it costs it would be nice to know how difficult it would be to register here of at some stage in the future I'd like to return to teach here in Ireland. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Was looking at the Hibernia course also.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Superdude1234

I got the bursary while I was there because I did maths so I didn't find it that expensive! [/QUOTE]

Hi I am also thinking of going to edge uni! How did you qualify to get a bursary? and did the Irish or UK gov provide you with any grants etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 flowers11

Hi,

I have just completed a PGCE in the UK and unless your course is over 120 credits, which I'm pretty sure the Edge Hill one isn't then you won't be able to register with the Irish Teaching Council of Ireland, you also must complete your NQT year in England or you can't register either. It's all a bit confusing but I would hate to have done a course without enough credits so make sure you check, things have changed in recent years and it's a lot harder for teachers to return from the UK having trained there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ni caoimh

Hi,
    My son is fourth year irish and maths and just heard about Edge hill as am option. I found your thread really great. Can you give any advice about paying the fees,getting the bursary,and also doing the masters in one year in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ayeates

Hi I would also be interested in any info on this topic.
    I graduated with a degree in law and Irish but unfortunately law wwouldn't qualify as a cspe subject. Although I have heard that schools in the UK teach law along with Irish (Catholic schools I'd presume).

I'm just wondering would it 've feasible to do my pgce there with view to eventually returning home

• Advertisement
Advertisement