Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€20 Scratch cards - a step too far ?

Options
  • 15-06-2014 6:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

The national lottery have launched an new scratch card that costs €20, I think this is a step too far. people with very little means will go without food as a result of this gimmick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

The national lottery have launched an new scratch card that costs €20, I think this is a step too far. people with very little means will go without food as a result of this gimmick.

I'd say if they're buying these and going hungry as a result, they probably deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Harsh to say but it is a tax on stupidity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Are they the ones students try to sell you on the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Yeah and alcohol should be banned because of alcoholics, and sex should be banned because of sex addicts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Work with someone, who has a degree so presumably not totally stupid, but she thought buying scratch cards was going to be an excellent way to save money because out of the 3 she bought, she was a euro up. I failed to get through to her the odds printed on the back of the cards meant her plan was a sack of sh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Wasn't there a €20 a ticket for the the for some draw at easter. Only 500 tickets sold or something.

Pretty sure same thing for new years too.

For a chance to win a million.

What's that game called?

Bought a ticket once, never won anything, what a waste. I was sure I was going to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭Gannicus

I'd say if they're buying these and going hungry as a result, they probably deserve it.

I couldn't agree more if I tried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Shut up and take my money! Sweet titty christ, I can smell the winnings already!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since I don't buy scratch card this won't have much impact on my life :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I agree with the OP, I think it's very cynical.
    They've no problem with curbing your smoking/drinking/recreational drug use, but the gambling shower are allowed to exploit all around them.

It stinks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Whats the difference between a 20 euro scratchcard and allowing people to buy 20 1 euro scratchcards?

Also, you can get noodles in Tesco for 20c, so no-one is going to go hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Going to sell online shortly I believe,more of a concern than a twenty Euro ticket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

syklops wrote: »
    Whats the difference between a 20 euro scratchcard and allowing people to buy 20 1 euro scratchcards?

Also, you can get noodles in Tesco for 20c, so no-one is going to go hungry.

It just means that the poor idiots who'd have spent ten euro normally will be encouraged to spend the €20.

The government should have put the foot down on this **** years ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

there's already a 20e draw every year, if somebody has no control and will buy a ticket instead of food they would just waste the money elsewhere anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

If it costs €20 then I'll surely win. You'd be foolish not to buy one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Will they not buy food with the winnings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

Will they not buy food with the winnings?

Of course not. They'll buy beer to celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

CrinkElite wrote: »
    It just means that the poor idiots who'd have spent ten euro normally will be encouraged to spend the €20.

The government should have put the foot down on this **** years ago.

No because that's more nanny-ing. It up to people if they want to spend money on this.
    I think you're way over exaggerating to say people won't be able to afford food now. Most people buying this will be using money they have after paying bills and buying food. The people who can barely afford food will not.
    If someone is such a gambling addict that they are spending all of their food and bills money, i think they would be spending that money on other means of gambling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

I've spent hundreds on scratch cards, then again I only do it when I have eh cash spare and wouldn't do it over getting petrol or food etc. it can be an addiction for some, yeah, but that doesn't mean you ban the cards themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

To be honest, a euro is too much for a scratchcard...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Yeah and alcohol should be banned because of alcoholics, and sex should be banned because of sex addicts.

What positivity is there to scratch cards???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

efb wrote: »

It supports worthy causes in your community.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Oullads spend 20 quid on 4 pints in the pub. Oulwans spend 20 quid on a scratch card. Both get a lil buzz off it in their horrible mundane lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

there's already a 20e draw every year, if somebody has no control and will buy a ticket instead of food they would just waste the money elsewhere anyway.

Its now twice a year Easter and New Years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Mocha Joe wrote: »
    Oullads spend 20 quid on 4 pints in the pub. Oulwans spend 20 quid on a scratch card. Both get a lil buzz off it in their horrible mundane lives.

What an ass hole comment to make

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

It could be argued that some people get the same enjoyment out of them as those that enjoy alcohol. Or sex for that matter.

Plus they support the national lottery, who supports nearly everything

They can fight racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 entangled

Sure anyone can walk in to a bookies and put €20 on a horse.

I imagine these scratch cards will be largely bought as gifts to stick in a card anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Why not scratch this :) and talk about what people have won on them. Bought a 5 euro scratch one time because got a lucky feeling, won 35 euro on it. Got a euro scratch card as part of a present, won 25 euro. Beat those beans!

• Advertisement

I wouldn't scratch my arse for EUR 20.

Advertisement