Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** LEAVING CERT DESIGN AND COMMUNICATION GRAPHICS (DCG) 2014 **

• 11-06-2014 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

We already have 40% of our grade, so the focus is on the paper. Anyone have predictions? What did you guys do for Section C?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

Hopefully a nice planes and intersecting solids question for section B

Does everyone here have an adjustable set square? I had one and i broke it 2 weeks ago :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sirwhy

I'm bringing my one. Haven't used it much but would rather have it than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

The DCG exam has been extremely difficult to predict anything that will come up, they are really looking for your understanding of each topic rather than being able to learn things off.

For higher level I would suggest borrowing an adjustable from someone if you can at all, time is so tight in this exam you need all the help you can get and it will speed up certain things if you are used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

You can only guarantee the assemblies question in section C. I find it to be one of the easier of the questions and marks can be easily picked up - from doing the project ye should have an understanding of exploded views and have an idea of how to re-assemble an item. Make sure ye have a stencil as well, for drawing smaller circles - which can be a pain to do with a compass, they are about €2. The adjustable set square is very handy as well, so have one of them if at all possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

Make sure ye have a stencil as well, for drawing smaller circles - which can be a pain to do with a compass, they are about €2.

Where would i get one of these? Are ye all mostly concentrating on practicing the exam questions or are there other things in the book you think are important? I'm dreading this exam so much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Anyone know where I can get a roller ruler?

Where would i get one of these? Are ye all mostly concentrating on practicing the exam questions or are there other things in the book you think are important? I'm dreading this exam so much :(

Any stationary shop should have them. There are about 25 or thereabouts built in circles of different dimensions. Very handy thing to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

Any topics in particular that people are studying ? :)

BauBau19 wrote: »
    Any topics in particular that people are studying ? :)

Im hoping therell be a long question on intersecting solids :)

Also wouldnt mind a long solids in contact question, not that thats extremely likely :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 astra97

Hey guys!
    Do we have to lay out each page in the exam?
    Should we put a margin around the edge of each page or can we just leave it blank? Cheers

astra97 wrote: »
    Hey guys!
    Should we put a margin around the edge of each page or can we just leave it blank? Cheers

I'd say it's ok to leave it blank? We haven't ruled any pages the past two years :P

astra97 wrote: »
    Hey guys!

No not needed, no marks are awarded for marking out the sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Also you will be wasting a huge amount of time. This is one exam that you have to be really conscious of your time both not wasting any and sticking to your time slots for each question and then move on

Why is there so much to learn for ellipses and parabolas :(

2010 question B-3 would be a dream question to get :D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

Has anyone got the DEB mock? Could do with some more practice material :D

Anyone have any mock papers pm me i have nothing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Maniamax

Why is there so much to learn for ellipses and parabolas :(

Maye it's cause I'm pretty maths-y, but I <3 Conics.

The only things of note to learn off are:

Ellipse Construction
    Parabola Construction
    Eccentricity Construction
    Tangent Construction
    Center of curvature

No?

Maniamax wrote: »
    Maye it's cause I'm pretty maths-y, but I <3 Conics.

The only things of note to learn off are:

Ellipse Construction
    Parabola Construction
    Eccentricity Construction
    Tangent Construction
    Center of curvature

No?

Ya but you've to know how to do all the different tangents do you?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Maniamax

Ya but you've to know how to do all the different tangents do you?:confused:

Well, it's the same for all of them. Join the Focii, bisect the angle, if tangent at a point on the curve.
    Suppose your right bout the constructions for them being off the curve, those are a bit of a balls

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

I have a pretty decent project. What would be the average mark given for the assessments ? Surely if we all get at least 35% it'll be pretty easy to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭caolan1996

what is everyone going over tomorrow and the morning before ?

what do ya think will come up for the roads q1 in section C ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

BauBau19 wrote: »
    I have a pretty decent project. What would be the average mark given for the assessments ? Surely if we all get at least 35% it'll be pretty easy to pass.

We were told when it comes to DCG that you need to pass in both the drawing, and project. So 35% overall on the project, and 5% in the exam would still be a fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Exo

Project (160m - 40%), Section A (60m - 15%) & Section B (90m - 22.5%) .. given you can prepare for 77.5% of the paper, I think we'll be fine! The remainder 22.5% depends how lucky you are..

Dynamic mechanisms, anyone? Assemblies are awfully time consuming..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

I'm doing dynic mechanisms. I think the only hope of an A1 for me is if I get 100% in part C which is fairly doable, I find! But I've a feeling part C in the roads question will be tough. They've never asked for the apparent dip before which I haven't a clue how to do! Skew boreholes are a weak point. Although I love dynamic mechanisms! I find them simple...

Part A better be nice and there better be at least 1 easy question in part b! An intersecting planes question would be unreal. I'm 95% sure there'll be an interpenetration question also but I'm trying to avoid it. It usually takes me a full hour to finish one of those questions.

FatRat wrote: »
    I'm doing dynic mechanisms. I think the only hope of an A1 for me is if I get 100% in part C which is fairly doable, I find! But I've a feeling part C in the roads question will be tough. They've never asked for the apparent dip before which I haven't a clue how to do! Skew boreholes are a weak point. Although I love dynamic mechanisms! I find them simple...

Part A better be nice and there better be at least 1 easy question in part b! An intersecting planes question would be unreal. I'm 95% sure there'll be an interpenetration question also but I'm trying to avoid it. It usually takes me a full hour to finish one of those questions.

same my teacher said its likely for skew boreholes to come up on the roads question i hope hes wrong i have no clue how to do it does anyone know how to ?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

does anyone have any good resources for DCG? I mean basically everything. I done a class project but very little classwork so Im sorta screwed, especially after Physics yesterday

How do you determine the thickness of a stratum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Advertisement