Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax Calculation Thread

• 16-03-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Unfortunately a lot of posters are posting looking for personalised tax advice.

I.e Here is my salary, what should my tax be. My approach thus far has been to delete/ close/ lock these threads because Boards is not a registered tax advisor service. This has the effect of cluttering up the forum.

We cannot and do not stand over the veracity of any advice given from what are essentially anonymous posters, some are qualified tax professionals, some are tax students, some are essentially chancers who are giving incorrect advice.

As such I am creating this superthread. All threads along those lines will be dumped here and you can take your chances.

If posters want to advertise excel calculators here they can do so openly on the thread. Keep it out of other threads please though

Moved Posts
    I have my one bed apt rented out and have a rental income of € 8880.00 and pay out € 9018.96 between mortgage, life assurance for the mortgage and a monthly maintance fee to a property company.
    It has been rented since July 2012 firstly for 6 months at € 650.00 pm then from Feb 2013 to present at € 740.00 pm.
    What income tax do I have to pay as I don't understand it, I did call the revenue in Dec 2012 who told me to wait until it was rented a full 12 months before doing anything we plan to sell in Feb 2015 so I just want to get everything straight.
    Hey everyone,

I set up a company with a partner in 2012, we both own 50% of the LTD company. We are still trading but things did not really go ahead, no work put into the company so we have no profits, no losses, no expenses etc...

I was on Jobseekers Allowance for the full year 2013.

I have to file a Form 11 Income Tax for the year 2013... I didn't think I would have to pay tax on my Jobseekers Allowance...

Have I done something wrong or is this as it should be?

Thanks for the help
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

You dont pay tax on JA but you do on JB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

Tick the box for the PAYE credit and that will cover your liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 user0022

Thanks Alan, that worked!

I ticked "PAYE Credit"

and now my liability is Zero :)

Don't really know what ticking PAYE Credit does, can you explain it a bit? And it's ok to tick it? I had not income apart from Jobseekers Allowance in 2013...

Thanks so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Ticking the paye box does not solve the problem for you .

Paye tax credit is worth 8250e and your JA is 9776e , but even if both amounts were the same , ticking paye is not the answer.

JA is simply not taxable , so ignore it and do not declare it .

PAYE and the Personal tax credit covers it

url.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

As ATD said if its Jobseekers Allowance then it's exempt and goes in a different box on the form.

Same result but JA is not taxable.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...

I put it in this section (PAYE/BIK/Pensions)... I think that's where it's supposed to go.

Thanks for your help with this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

That section is for job seekers benefit ... Which is taxable

Job seekers allowance is not taxable . Leave it off the return

If you are unsure whether you claimed Allowances or Benefits in 2013 , then you could fill in the attached online form and a statement will be sent to you by post :

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/StatementOfJAJB.aspx

first of all - your mortgage capital repayments are not an allowable deduction -
    75% of your interest is allowable (if you ar prtb registered

more info here re what you can deduct
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it70.html

do seperate calculations for 2012 and 2013 to come up with taxable income for both years

Are you a paye employee? you might get away with filing a form 12

you will pay tax at 41% if you are on the high rate already
    PLUS PRSI
    PLUS USC

so potentially 52% of any rental profit you have will go in tax

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭TrishSimon

first of all - your mortgage capital repayments are not an allowable deduction -
    75% of your interest is allowable (if you ar prtb registered

more info here re what you can deduct

do seperate calculations for 2012 and 2013 to come up with taxable income for both years

Are you a paye employee? you might get away with filing a form 12

you will pay tax at 41% if you are on the high rate already
    PLUS PRSI
    PLUS USC

so potentially 52% of any rental profit you have will go in tax

I am a PAYE employee on the lower rate as my salary is 31K so after the deductions I must pay 41% tax plus USC & PRSI ? maybe I am confused.

ok - the lower rate band is €32,800 ( if you are single / or married and your spouse hasnt trransferred any of their band to you)

so in each year if you have a rental profit - the first 1800 ( 32800 - 31000 ) will be at 20% Tax - anything over will be at 41 %

PRSI is 4% of the profit each year
    USC is 7% of the profit each year

I am not making a profit, I pay out 9198.96 and take in 8880.00 rent.
    My boss has given me a sheet he uses to work out his income tax to be paid so I am working on that.
    I'm still confused by your reply above sorry I just dont seem to understand it.
    I am deducting all my expenses from my rental incomes but not the actual mortgage payment and from what I can understand I then calculate it at 20% plus 11% for PRSI & USC.

Sorry I meant Taxable Profit !

Tax 20% plus 11% for PRSI & USC. is correct as long as your Taxable profit is less than 1800

It would be easier to give you guidance if you put up your numbers separately for 2012 & 2013

Rental Income XXX
    Minus
    75 % of Mortage Interest (ONLY IF PRTB REGISTERED in 2012 & 2013)
    Other expenses mgt fees etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I normally don't allow personalised calculations.

There are plenty of online calculators out there to help you work out your taxable income.

There are a few posters here with them in their sigs.

I don't stand by the veracity of them. If you have expenses in excess of your income you won't be paying any tax on it but I would guess those expense include the mortgage which you cannot deduct

In short- you have to do a rental computation

Rent Less Allowable Deductions- to see what is allowable read the guide to rental income in the stickies.

Mortgage NO. Life Assurance re Mortgage-= NO. Management company fees- Yes.

Thanks I'm going to stick to the excel sheet my boss has sent me on it has all of the calculations in it, he owns a few places and said he always uses this format. I just have to adjust the tax amount from 41% to 20% as obviously he is on the higher rate.

does it have Mortgage capital repaymensts and Life Assurance re Mortgage ?
    if it does --- dont use it :)

PRTB reg fee is also deductable

does it have Mortgage capital repaymensts and Life Assurance re Mortgage ?
    if it does --- dont use it :)

PRTB reg fee is also deductable

No it basically has the rental income less deductions etc..so I will see where we end up after that but thanks for the advice.

I normally don't allow personalised calculations.

There are plenty of online calculators out there to help you work out your taxable income.

There are a few posters here with them in their sigs.

I don't stand by the veracity of them. If you have expenses in excess of your income you won't be paying any tax on it but I would guess those expense include the mortgage which you cannot deduct

In short- you have to do a rental computation

Rent Less Allowable Deductions- to see what is allowable read the guide to rental income in the stickies.

Mortgage NO. Life Assurance re Mortgage-= NO. Management company fees- Yes.

Thanks yes I have done that I was also told I can deduct the interest from the mortgage paid so am going to check that out also.

you can deduct 75 % of the interest paid - if you are prtb registered

• Advertisement

you can deduct 75 % of the interest paid - if you are prtb registered

Yes thanks I am registered with the prtb but have forgotten my login details so will sort that all tonight, it has greatly reduced the amount I need to pay thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

Firstly, Im not great when it comes to all things tax related. I received notification from my employer (via revenue) that my tax credits are being reduced by about half. I havent made any changes that I know of, the only thing I did recently was claim back on dental expenses for the year 2013. Can anyone help on this?

I am single, a PAYE worker and not claiming rent relief, tax credit for a dependent relative, home carers credit, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

Are you single/married?
    Are you a PAYE worker?
    Do you claim rent relief, tax credit for a dependent relative, home carers credit, etc?

I am single, a PAYE worker and not claiming rent relief, tax credit for a dependent relative, home carers credit, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Slipshaney wrote: »
    Firstly, Im not great when it comes to all things tax related. I received notification from my employer (via revenue) that my tax credits are being reduced by about half. I havent made any changes that I know of, the only thing I did recently was claim back on dental expenses for the year 2013. Can anyone help on this?

Did you receive a P21 balancing statement for 2013 stating that there was an underpayment which would be collected by reducing your credits?

im not sure to be honest - I recall having to send on my P60 to them - would this be right?

How would an underpayment have happened - should my employer not have been looking after this?
    Did you receive a P21 balancing statement for 2013 stating that there was an underpayment which would be collected by reducing your credits?

Slipshaney wrote: »
    im not sure to be honest - I recall having to send on my P60 to them - would this be right?

How would an underpayment have happened - should my employer not have been looking after this?

Underpayments can happen in many different ways, (multiple jobs, incorrect credits or rate band, taxable DSP payments etc). Normally all is order though.
    You need to check your P21 for 2013. If you used the online system, then it may be in your request history. It may also have been sent to your postal address.
    Quickest way to sort this is call Revenue.

ok thanks for that - ive tried calling revenue already but it seems to be all automated - i cant get through to a human!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Murphj7

So my sister has bought a house in Wexford where she is from but rents and lives in Dublin. The mortgage will be 60 euro less than rent meaning profit.
    When declaring the house is for rent what is taxed. The 60 euros or full value rent? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Murphj7 wrote: »
    So my sister has bought a house in Wexford where she is from but rents and lives in Dublin. The mortgage will be 60 euro less than rent meaning profit.
    When declaring the house is for rent what is taxed. The 60 euros or full value rent? Thanks

75% of the rent is allowable for rent
    Other expenses like repair and maintenance and prtb can be claimed against rental income.

You mean....75% of the mortgage INTEREST is allowed against the rent if prtb registered . The capital repayments are not allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Folks just looking for advice on how to submit these claims on via the PAYE Anytime online service, I have both Med 2 forms filled out which I don't have to send in, the root canal cost me 770 with an Endodontist, a few months later I had a crown fitted which cost 850.

So I click on the 2013 tab and click the Health Expenses tab and click on the non-routine dental expenses, now do I put in the total amount for the two med 2 forms which is 1620 or do I need to put it in as two separate claims?

Thanks

Total is fine as long as they are in the same calendar year . Keep the med2s in case of audit

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ABCCBA

Hi everyone, Could anyone give me some advises to complete this question?
    thank you!

Tom Jones, aged 60, has been running his business for many years. He has decided to take early retirement. His daughter, Sonya, has been working in the business for the last 5 years. Tom would like to transfer the business to Sonya.

Alternatively, a local businessman has made an offer to buy the business for 850,000.

REQUIRED:
    (a) Advise Tom of any capital gains tax liability that he might have
    (i) on the transfer of the business to his daughter
    (ii) on the sale of the business to the local businessman.
    (b) Recommend which course of action he should take in order to minimise his tax liabilities.

Note: Marks will be awarded for numerical examples used to support your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 16 morningperson

I am a PAYE worker and I started maternity leave a few weeks ago. I am receiving maternity benefit payments of 230 euro per week, paid directly into my bank account. My employer let me know they will deduct 920 a month from my salary (or 230 a week for 26 weeks).
    I am wondering if this is correct, or if an element of the 230 is related to the tax on materity benefit and will be automatically be deducted via tax credit changes.
    So if my employer deducts the full 230 per week am I paying the taxed part of my maternity benefit twice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, your employer is making sure you don't pay extra tax.

Example 1 here is exactly what they're doing:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/reference/case_studies/case_study_taxation_of_maternity_benefit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Verdure

Suppose one returns to Ireland after an absence of six months or more, with enough money to buy a suburban house. What taxes would that lump sum be subject to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Sorry.

Do your own homework.

I'll dump it in the calculation thread and someone who has time might decided to give you a hand

• Registered Users Posts: 16 morningperson

Maternity benefit taxation query

I'm drawing a blank attempting to put it all together. But say for example:

I receive 920 euro maternity benefit per month paid directly to me.
    My employer deducts 920 from my gross monthly salary.
    Revenue reduce my Standard rate cutoff point to recoup the tax on maternity benefit 920 from my salary. This is because the 920 was deducted from my gross salary so I haven't already paid tax on it.

Is this what should happen?

However...since my original post I have now been paid and my employer doesn't seem to have deducted the 920 euro as we agreed they would.
    Do I need to ensure that the deduction of maternity benefit from my salary takes place in the same months that Revenue have reduced the standard rate cutoff point. Otherwise I think I would end up paying more tax than I should if the months are mismatched?

Maternity benefit taxation query

I'm drawing a blank attempting to put it all together. But say for example:

I receive 920 euro maternity benefit per month paid directly to me.
    My employer deducts 920 from my gross monthly salary.
    Revenue reduce my Standard rate cutoff point to recoup the tax on maternity benefit 920 from my salary. This is because the 920 was deducted from my gross salary so I haven't already paid tax on it.

Is this what should happen?

However...since my original post I have now been paid and my employer doesn't seem to have deducted the 920 euro as we agreed they would.
    Do I need to ensure that the deduction of maternity benefit from my salary takes place in the same months that Revenue have reduced the standard rate cutoff point. Otherwise I think I would end up paying more tax than I should if the months are mismatched?

Your first paragraph is wrong or would have been wrong if your employer had to do this .

But your employer was correct including the Maternity Benefit in your gross pay.

Revenue don't need to mess with your tax credits / SRCOP , and you will now pay the correct amount of tax on MB

When you receive P60 , you will now have two income figures :
    1. Gross income including taxable benefit
    2. Total amount of taxable benefit included in above figure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

My wife will be going on mat leave in July, I'm not working so she has my tax credits. As per her contract she is not entitled to any mat leave from work, so it will just be the €230 a week from the government. As I understand that €230 is taxable. Does this mean we would have to wait until the end of the year to claim any tax back?

Also as we are trying to figure out how much we have to keep us going until Jan. If I went to a tax calc, and got the tax for gross salary for the year, then did the same with the 7 months she's actually worked and take one away from the other? Would that give an indication of how much we'd be owed or is that completely wrong?

Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Hi, I know there are a few threads on bonuses here but it still doesn't make sense to me. Can someone please explain.

If you earn say, €50,000 per year and then you get a bonus of say €10,000 once a year...do you pay the higher rate of tax on this bonus because you pay the higher rate of tax on your salary?

I have read some threads here that say you only get 40% of the bonus into your head. So, if someone is on the higher rate of tax, gets a €10k bonus...that means they get €4k into their hand and €6k goes to the taxman? I know you can put it into pensions and all that but if you didn't you are basically taxed 60% of your bonus??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Ardeehey

yup, at those numbers you pay the higher rate of Income tax plus PRSI plus USC...prob works out about 49% tax or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AlexisM

The total marginal tax rate is 52% (unless you're self-employed when it's 55%) - so you'll pay 52% on your 10K - and receive 48% (€4,800).

UNLESS, your employer takes the view that 10K is an all-in bonus amount that they are willing to pay, including employers PRSI - which would mean they will net off the 10.75% employers PRSI. That would make your effective overall taxrate 56.7% leaving you with 43.3% (€4,334).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

but if you didn't you are basically taxed 60% of your bonus??
    Welcome to the world of "de rich" according to certain political parties.

Bonuses are simply income and are taxed as such.

Hi, I know there are a few threads on bonuses here but it still doesn't make sense to me. Can someone please explain.

If you earn say, €50,000 per year and then you get a bonus of say €10,000 once a year...do you pay the higher rate of tax on this bonus because you pay the higher rate of tax on your salary?

I have read some threads here that say you only get 40% of the bonus into your head. So, if someone is on the higher rate of tax, gets a €10k bonus...that means they get €4k into their hand and €6k goes to the taxman? I know you can put it into pensions and all that but if you didn't you are basically taxed 60% of your bonus??

41% tax 7% USC and 4% PRSI

So 52% total tax

It sucks but thats the way things work once you are on the higher rate.

Someone I know recently asked for a few days extra holidays rather than a pay rise because the tax on the extra pay would be so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

I submitted my Med 1 form for 2013 a couple of months ago, and received a payment of little over 20 Euro in my bank account today. I payed over 1000 Euro in medical expenses in 2013 and was expecting around 20% of this as relief. Does this sound right and did I misinterperate the relief?

stuba wrote: »
    I submitted my Med 1 form for 2013 a couple of months ago, and received a payment of little over 20 Euro in my bank account today. I payed over 1000 Euro in medical expenses in 2013 and was expecting around 20% of this as relief. Does this sound right and did I misinterperate the relief?

The relief is granted at the standard rate (20%) Since it's a tax relief, it's dependant on how much tax you paid in the claim year. If you paid more than 20 euro Paye for the claim year, contact Revenue to see why more was not refunded if you cannot see the answer on your P21.

stuba wrote: »

You should have gotten upto 20% of the amount spent assuming that you paid enough taxes. However when you request refund they do a full P21 so perhaps you underpaid tax at somepoint during the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hi all,

Slight discrepancy between my P21 and P60 I'd like to clear up.

P60 for year end 31st Dec 2013:
    Tax Credit 3010
    P21 for year end 31st Dec 2013:
    1,650.00 Personal Tax Cr
    372.80 PAYE Tax Credit

As Im a full time student my income is low enough, so are they only applying the necessary proportion of the credits I have for the year, or is the P60 incorrect?

Filling in the Form12 now and it'd just be handy to know for this time next year as my income will hopefully be a bit higher.

Thanks,
    ED-E

• Advertisement
Advertisement