Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kasabian

• 13-05-2014 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

I think now is a good time to get a thread going on Kasabian. New album out, I've only heard the one song so far "Eez Eh" and it's a slightly catchy disco type tune. Not what I'd expect from them but they always alter their sound a bit.

Also there's a band called Black Onassis I'd urge any Kasabian fan to check out, the released their debut album a few months ago. Chris Karloff who co-wrote Kasabians first two albums is the man behind it and surprisingly it sounds more like early Kasabian than the music Kasabian are putting out at present.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

They were really awful on Jools Holland last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Joekers

The 4 new songs off the album so far only Eez-eh was officially released, have to say really like Stevie and Bumblebee and can't wait to hear the studio versions on the album.

Think Eez-eh will be a monster live tune by the time the arena tour rolls around in November, one thing you can never accuse them of is being stale they alway change their music up from album to album and this stuff sounds a lot closer to their debut album rather then their last album. Definitely one i'm looking forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

yup the album is sounding very promising. each song so far is so different to each other. i agree Stevie and bumblebee sound awesome. cant wait to see them at glasto.

also i like explodes its a good mix of old school kasabian crossed with i hear voices from their last album

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Not a big fan but i've seen them a few times at festivals and they are very good live. They give it there and and really get the crowd going.
    80% of each album is packed full of crap with a few decent songs. Put those decent songs together and you've a good 45 min live set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Don't get these lads at all. They're like Oasis for people who missed out on Oasis the first time around or were too young. Only worse.

The whole "mad ferrr ittt" thing has had its day.

• Advertisement

seachto7 wrote: »
    Don't get these lads at all. They're like Oasis for people who missed out on Oasis the first time around or were too young. Only worse.

Lazy sterotype to label them an oasis wannabe act which was wrongly attached to them around their debut in 2004 by the rags. If you actually listened to their albums and serge and tom talking you will notice there far different then the asshole gallaghers.

Also incredible live band. Themselves arcade fire and muse are the most I enjoyed seeing a band live

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

'Bumblebee' is really fantastic live, they used it as an opener in Cork on Wednesday night and it was great. 'Stevie' also sounded really good. I don't like 'Eez-eh', but it is a better live song than it is on record, nice jumpy tune to get the crowd going but not anymore really.

Amazing show in Cork by the way. They really seemed to be taken back a bit by the crowds reaction.

ricero wrote: »
    Themselves arcade fire and muse are the most I enjoyed seeing a band live

Three bands I couldn't really care less for. Just don't get these Kasabian lads at all though. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

My favourite thing about Kasabian are the ridiculous quotes.

Example Tom: “On our day, we won’t be beaten by any band on the planet, and I’ve said this before. We’re a match for anyone – even the giants of the universe." (Leicester Mercury, 2012)

http://www.nme.com/photos/kasabian-29-of-tom-and-serge-s-most-hilarious-boasts/337679/1/1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

That "mad fer it" thing was Oasis and they gone! Whatever opinion one might have about Oasis they were a phenomenon creating mass hysteria one of those acts that could make music for the non music lover pretty much, They had a safe formula that they pretty much stuck to from day one, Kasabian are certainly not that band. You compare Kasabian to Oasis but worse yet musically they are nothing alike.

Tom (Singer) summed it up when asked about the Oasis break up:
    Well everyone keeps tipping us to fill the void, but you can’t fill that void. Oasis are a big, anthemic sing-along band, while we’re more of a dance-along band, we’re completely different. If you’re gonna call them The Beatles, then we’re the Stones you know what I mean?

Source: http://sabotagetimes.com/music/tom-meighan-on-oasis-n-w-a-michael-jackson-and-hoverboards/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Bumblebee was awesome live last night. Really good opener tune. I really enjoyed eez eh too, seriously catchy and had the whole place bouncing. First time I've seen them and I have to say they are excellent live, the crowd were absolutely mental which probably helped as they seemed to feed off the energy. All in all can't wait for this album and tour.

album leaked and its glorious.like an offspring of their debut fused together with their 3rd album wrpla. fantastic throughout with stevie, clouds, treat and bow being the stand out tracks for me. best i have ever heard tom singing

• Very surprised at how good this is, I thought they would make a decent album all right but this far surpasses my expectations! There is like 3 distinct sections on the album with their own vibes, well that is what I am getting off it anyway

It really is very good. Bow is awesome.

It's quite a good album on first listen. I wish 'Bumblebeee' was slightly quicker, just like the live version. It feels slowed down if you hear the live version first. 'Doomsday' is all over the place though, already dislike that.

'Bow' is indeed a stunning track, that's gonna sound amazing live. Got the same feeling as when I heard 'Take Aim' for the first time.

Dunno why Bow wasn't the first single tbh. I love Eez eh but I think it slightly alienated a lot of their fans. Bow would have been far better received I think, not that it really matters since the album is excellent anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Joekers

I think Bumblebee would have been the perfect first single tbh and as someone has already said i'd like it a bit faster such is the live version, love the way each song rolls into each other all fit in their place perfectly. Favorite tracks for me are Bumblebee, Treat and S.P.S excellent album

I think 'Bow' would have been great as a single but not the first one, it's not really the hype first single. Even thought I don't hate 'Eez-eh' as much as I first did, it stands out like a sore thumb on the album. Kasabian are really good when they aren't 'lad-ish' if that makes sense, 'Bow' for example is about as far from 'Eez-eh' as you could get and is one of the best songs they have done on their past 3 albums IMO.

I'll be honest, Serge's singing on 'Glass' is a little unforgettable and not nearly as good as the instrumentation on the track.

It's weird, even though I 'like' the album, there's a lot of flaws with it. I think in lyrical terms, it may be the poorest they've done, not that they have ever been known for their lyrics anyway but still. 'Treat' is ruined by being far too long and what's in between doesn't justify the length.

Corholio wrote: »
    I think 'Bow' would have been great as a single but not the first one, it's not really the hype first single. Even thought I don't hate 'Eez-eh' as much as I first did, it stands out like a sore thumb on the album. Kasabian are really good when they aren't 'lad-ish' if that makes sense, 'Bow' for example is about as far from 'Eez-eh' as you could get and is one of the best songs they have done on their past 3 albums IMO.

I'll be honest, Serge's singing on 'Glass' is a little unforgettable and not nearly as good as the instrumentation on the track.

It's weird, even though I 'like' the album, there's a lot of flaws with it. I think in lyrical terms, it may be the poorest they've done, not that they have ever been known for their lyrics anyway but still. 'Treat' is ruined by being far too long and what's in between doesn't justify the length.
    Treat is class cant stop singing it and love the 2nd part of it. I really like clouds even though it probaly has the dodgiest lyrics on album. S.p.s is awesome and I heard serge wrote it for tom. Fantastic album and it gets better with every listen

Billy Bragg on Kasabian: 'They are there to remind us how true 'Spinal Tap' was'

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/billy-bragg/77797?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=billybragg#Y6WVRfpzvGPjqqMG.99

I would disagree though, as Spinal Tap were good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Your typical Kasabian album in my opinion.
    Some cracking tunes with an awful lot of ****e thrown in.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Your typical Kasabian album in my opinion.
    Some cracking tunes with an awful lot of ****e thrown in.

What would you consider to be ****e on the new album ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Lead singer is a complete jeb end

Billy Bragg on Kasabian: 'They are there to remind us how true 'Spinal Tap' was'

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/billy-bragg/77797?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=billybragg#Y6WVRfpzvGPjqqMG.99

I would disagree though, as Spinal Tap were good.
    Who ?

Great movie

I dislike 'Doomsday' and 'Clouds' quite a lot after quite a few listens now. 'Clouds' is bloody awful to be honest, sounds like average Ocean Colour Scene, and really shows up their lyric writing IMO. I say this as a fan of theirs but instead of improving their lyrics they've left them go to **** on this album. I actually really liked 'Levitation' better than both those tracks put together, even though it's not really a song.

The hook of 'Doomsday' is somewhat catchy but again the lyrics are pretty bad. It's a pity there's such different levels of quality because I really like 'Bumblebeee' (even though the live version is better), 'Stevie', 3/4 of 'Treat', 'Explodes' and the standout track 'Bow'. Im not a fan of 'S.P.S' but it's not bad.

Im really enjoying bow and I agree its the best track on album. I love s.p.s and can see it being a set closer in the future

ricero wrote: »
    Who ?

Great movie

Who? Seriously?

Who? Seriously?

Yup never heard of him before reading that article. I must listen to a few of his tunes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭bren2001

Don't get the Doomsday hate. Arguably my favourite song of the album. Stevie, bumblebee and bow are excellent. Clouds and glass are terrible.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    Don't get the Doomsday hate. Arguably my favourite song of the album. Stevie, bumblebee and bow are excellent. Clouds and glass are terrible.

Chorus on 'Doomsday' is catchy but the rest of the song is random lyrics thrown together in an awkward and frankly, terrible way.

Advertisement