Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Ok Google..." now available for everyone... Anyone tried it yet?

Options
  • 11-06-2014 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭

Requirements:
    > microphone in your computer / laptop
    > latest version of Chrome
    > Google.com (not .ie) webpage

So, you go to your Google.com search page (not Google.ie, it only works on Google.com) and then you just say "Ok Google" and then say what you want to search for and it does it for you, all touch-free, no typing or clicking involved.

Anyone tried it yet?

Setup instructions:
    If you're stuck on Google.ie, click on "Use Google.com" in the bottom right hand corner.
    You'll also need to activate the function by opening Chrome, go to Settings, click Show Advanced Settings down the bottom, then under Privacy enable Ok Google.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

It's a lot better than Siri. If it mishears you, it seems to realise it and then makes more sense of the phrase it thought you said.

I have noticed though that the mobile (ios) app is now slower in opening than it was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

It'll be funny listening to guys Googling in meetings:

'Ok Google, Lobstertube.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

Only about 10% of the terms I google are things I would risk someone overhearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's class when you sing a song to it. Can't make head nor tail of it:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I had a voice-activated phone - a Motorola Timeport L7089 - back in 1998 or 1999. I had the local Chinese takeaway on speed-dial and used to get a great kick out of coming home buckled on a Saturday night and saying "Chinese grub!" to the thing, to magically summon the Blessed Beef Curry to the door. I'm not quite as easily entertained these days. I think... :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A brave new world indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

This feature is around a while on desktops - I use for setting reminders, accessing music and contacts all the time on my Nexus 5, 7 and the odd time on my Mac, great for calling people while driving also....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

What versions of Google Chrome are you guys using? I'm using Version 35.0.1916.153 m and I can't see the setting for "OK Google" under privacy. I've upgraded to the latest version of Google and still nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

What versions of Google Chrome are you guys using? I'm using Version 35.0.1916.153 m and I can't see the setting for "OK Google" under privacy. I've upgraded to the latest version of Google and still nothing.

Nevermind. For some reason, it appears now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

It's class when you sing a song to it. Can't make head nor tail of it:D.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

started using it on the phone last week and really liking it.

Can be playing a game and just say "ok google send text" or something

also handy when you are struggling to get into bed let alone see the screen and need to set an alarm for the morning.

The only fault i have is when music is playing on the phone it can glitch and try and open up the speech thing. I dunno if this is an android problem or a nova launcher problem as it was only added to the last update

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Can it be used on an iPhone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

Fieldog wrote: »
    This feature is around a while on desktops - I use for setting reminders, accessing music and contacts all the time on my Nexus 5, 7 and the odd time on my Mac, great for calling people while driving also....

It's been around since the 21st of May 2014. https://plus.google.com/u/0/+chrome/posts/HMRrocKgVPn

It's not a function that allows you to set reminders, access music and contacts or call people. That's a different function.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Hootanany wrote: »
    Can it be used on an iPhone?

as far as i know yeah, look for "google now" in the appstore. Or it might just be intergrated into "google search"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Mine's broke. :( I think I sung too much Bryan Ferry into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

danniemcq wrote: »
    as far as i know yeah, look for "google now" in the appstore. Or it might just be intergrated into "google search"

Or just open chrome on your phone and click on the microphone icon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I could not find some of the settings to change, seemingly I was already set up unknowingly.

It works great, but one command at a time, still a good effort but I've had Google translate on my phone for a while already, and that's pretty good to on the voice. Great that one does not have to spend 150 years training it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I only really have it on my phone and sometimes it is pretty cool but it seems to randomly think i say "ok google" sometimes and it makes that beeping noise and starts searching, happened in a lecture hall once which was awkward enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

This has been on my phone forever. Still don't use it. There's something that feels very wrong talking to a piece of technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

God help anyone who's name is Dougal I can imagine their phone going off at just the mention of their name.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Actually it's pretty bad on the laptop, only seems to get it right about half the time. Much much better working on chrome on android.

Advertisement