Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement Graphics Card

Options
  • 04-06-2014 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi ok so I don't know if anyone remembers me or not but I had a thread last year about building a gaming rig, which ended up costing €1360 including a nice keyboard and such. Well a few months after that my graphics card just decided to fry, which could have set the entire rig on fire, if I hadn't been in the room and cut the power.

Here's the rig I built:

CPU -Intel Core i5-3570K CPU A€205.09/H€201.87
    Mobo - ASRock Z75 Pro3 A€77.89/H€-
    GPU - Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7950 A€267.99/H€300.03
    RAM - G.Skill 8GB (2x 4GB) Dual Channel Ares Series Memory Kit A€53.49/H€-
    Gaming Keyboard - Cooler Master CM Storm Quick Fire TK - Blue A€86.66
    PSU - Corsair Builder Series CXM 500W Modular A€59.24/H€-
    Temporary Keyboard - CiT USB/PS2 Combo Keyboard - Black A€5.58/H€-
    SSD - Samsung SSD 840 120GB A€85.84/H€85.04
    HDD - WD Caviar Blue 1TB A€66.07/H€57.40
    Case - Cooltek Antiphon Black A€80.27/H€61.13
    Optical Drive - LiteOn iHAS124-04 A€19.95/H€16.36
    Speakers - Wavemaster MX-3+ A€53.59/H€39.99
    Gaming Mouse - Sharkoon Drakonia Gaming Laser Mouse A€29.43/€24.02
    Mouse Mat - Sharkoon Fire Glider Gaming Mat A€10.79/H€6.99
    SATA Cable - LogiLink SATA 0.5m A€-/H€1.39
    Net Card - ASUS PCE-N15 A€19.02/H€14.90
    CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO A€-/H€29.73
    OS - MS Windows 8 64-Bit (SB) A€83.23/H€85.33
    Monitor - LG 22EA53VQ-P A€145.96/H€125.83
    Bluetooth - LogiLink Mini Bluetooth Dongle A€10.56/H€5.39

Anyhow I was refunded by Amazon for €267 so I have that budget for a replacement. I've been busy and away from home during the college year so I couldn't do anything. I checked a few months ago when I had the chance but Amazon had stopped selling the Graphics Card so they could not issue a replacement, hence the refund.

Anyhow it's for apparently for sale again - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BBKO65S/ref=ox_sc_act_image_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

However since it's now lower in price, would I be better off getting a newer, more powerful model?

The reason why I'm asking is because I don't know too much about hardware, I'm more of a software guy, that's why I had help with my build in the first place.

So should I just get the same Graphics Card or get a better one within my budget of €270 and if so which model do you recommend? Keep in mind the limitations of my rig such as my mobo and PSU wattage.

I appreciate all help and suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

There is a new version of that. It is the r9 280x. It is basically the same with a slight oc.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭solidMGSsnake

Hmmm there's a few GPUs matching that name on amazon, could you link me to the correct one? Also can my rig support it?

It is basicaly the same as your old one so same power requirements so no need for a new psu. Model is your preference.

Can you please give me a link, I don't want to get the wrong one. Also is it just a pre-clocked version of my GPU? If that's the case, does it not just have the same potential as my old one, but I just have to manually clock it myself?

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for your input. But that's just a slight improvement of my current GPU isn't it? I have around €50 extra to spend if I get my old one. is there not a better card in the €240-€270 range that my rig could support?

Its either the 280x or the nvidia gtx 770.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

If you can add 100 then the R9 290 is definitly the way to go! A massive improvement

http://www.hardwareversand.de/en/4096+MB/153419/Gigabyte+Radeon+R9+290+WindForce+3X%2C+4GB+GDDR5%2C+2x+DVI%2C+HDMI%2C+DisplayPort.article

Might be pushing it slightly though with a 500w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Redfox25

€350?! Redfox25 I appreciate the input but that is way over my budget of €270. Euro not pounds. My budget is flexible to like an additional €10-20 but not much else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Redfox25

€350?! Redfox25 I appreciate the input but that is way over my budget of €270. Euro not pounds. My budget is flexible to like an additional €10-20 but not much else.

sorry, i was just pointing out a good value 290 which is a beast of a card.

go with derpys suggestions above and your good to go.

Ok so before I finally decide, is there any significant differences between the 280x or the nvidia gtx 770? Which would you chose? Also you're 100% positive that my 500W PSU can support it?

I found a comparison website that seems in favour of the gtx, but is it talking about the same GPU as you, because it seems way better. I'd still like to hear your opinion on the which card as well if you don't mind

Here's that site for reference: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-280X-vs-GeForce-GTX-770

Also doing a search for the gtx on Amazon yields a few different cards with the same name, but look different. Which one is the one you were talking about, and is that the one the comparison site was talking about or was that just a way better card with a similar name?

Also both those GPUs only have 2GB memory, while my old one had 3GB. I know that performance wise they seem to be better, but surly that memory is good for something. Will I have any disadvantages? Would I get more potential out of my old GPU if I just overclocked it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Ok so before I finally decide, is there any significant differences between the 280x or the nvidia gtx 770? Which would you chose? Also you're 100% positive that my 500W PSU can support it?

I found a comparison website that seems in favour of the gtx, but is it talking about the same GPU as you, because it seems way better. I'd still like to hear your opinion on the which card as well if you don't mind

Here's that site for reference: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-280X-vs-GeForce-GTX-770

Also doing a search for the gtx on Amazon yields a few different cards with the same name, but look different. Which one is the one you were talking about, and is that the one the comparison site was talking about or was that just a way better card with a similar name?

Also both those GPUs only have 2GB memory, while my old one had 3GB. I know that performance wise they seem to be better, but surly that memory is good for something. Will I have any disadvantages? Would I get more potential out of my old GPU if I just overclocked it?
    At 1080p 2GB vs 3GB won't help. 280x or 770, get whichever is cheaper. They are very even on performance.

Hi Gumbi, I believe you've helped me before. Can you give me a link to the correct 770 on Amazon.co.uk? There are several listed with the same name but they look different to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

You have a decent quality 500W: this is more than enough for a 770/280x.

500w is plenty for a 280x or 770. Grab the Gigabyte one for 240 pounds.

Great, thanks guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

The 770 always seems to have been cheaper than the the 670 ever was. I had to pay over €380 for my 670 at the time, yet these 770s are about €300 at most.

• Advertisement

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    The 770 always seems to have been cheaper than the the 670 ever was. I had to pay over €380 for my 670 at the time, yet these 770s are about €300 at most.

But I'm getting a 770 for 240 pounds :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

But I'm getting a 770 for 240 pounds :O

Which works out at about 300 euros. :D

Advertisement