Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

***** Leaving Cert Ordinary Level Maths - both papers ****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭thedumbone

i ran out of time...
    just wondering if those **** are writing whole paper in 2,5h cuz i left 1 Q

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Catherinem1616

Pie chart was just multiply the percentage over 100 by 360 to get the degrees was it not?

Yup!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Yup!

Lovely, almost didn't bring in a protractor thinking I wouldn't need it:p

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

Nicest paper we could have asked for. Trigonometry was all too easy... I must be the only one who found paper 1 impossible in comparison to paper 2. I would say 70% in paper 1 and around 90% in paper 2. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

Paper went amazing, but did anyone think the tax question which went like "Give one reason why not all properties were registered." is not a maths question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭STADEdeLUC

kn2k10 wrote: »
    Paper went amazing, but did anyone think the tax question which went like "Give one reason why not all properties were registered." is not a maths question?

I just said some people may be against the charge and therefore wont pay it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

kn2k10 wrote: »

Yeah I just said because some people didn't bother registering, had no relevance :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

Yeah I just said because some people didn't bother registering, had no relevance :confused:

I said that there mightn't be anyone living in them.

I'd say they'll accept anything really.. weird question.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bob123321

Forgot how to do the pie chart properly but gave it a good enough effort none the less I'm hoping I passed it can't say I did with flying colours tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭jazz101

That pie chart/taxes question was a really handy 70 marks which probably got me a pass. Didn't know how to attempt any of the entire last question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Another fair paper. Didn't try and trick students up too much.

Q1 Nice probability question to start...
    P(Black) 5/24 P(Black or Red) 14/24
    P(Silver then Black) 10/24 x 5/23
    P(One Red and One Black) 9/24 x 5/23 x 2...as it could be red then black OR black then red
    P(Diesel or Red) 9/24 + 9/24 - 2/24...as 2 are diesel AND red...you don't want to count them twice

Q2 P(doesn't score) 1/4
    P (scores both) 3/4 x 3/4
    P (scores exactly twice) 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/4 then multiply this by 3 as 2 penalties can be scored in 3 ways...it could be SSM or SMS or MSS
    P (scores for 1st time on 5th penalty) MMMMS = 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/4 x 3/4

Q3 Centre (-2,3) radius 10
    Show point is on the circle just sub (-8,11) in for x and y in circle equation.
    Slope of ap using slope formula -4/3
    Equation of a tangent is equation of line just sub in point (-8,11) and perpendicular slope 3/4
    To find point Q just translate the point P through centre = (4, -5)

Q4 Length of AB was 5 through either observation or distance formula.
    Area of triangle was 1/2(5)(7) = 17.5
    Congruent triangle easy enough to draw....mention that 2 sides and an angle were the same to show congruent.

Q5 1st couple of parts grand. Square root of 81 gives 9 for the side and use area of a sector forumla for shaded area of (b) 63.59 ish
    Other two parts were tricky. 81-63.59=17.41 Multiply this by 2 to give total amount of white space in (c) 34.82....take this from 81 to leave shaded area. 46.18
    (d) part - I'd use pythagoras to get diagonal of square = 12.73...this is also the base of the triangle. The height of triangle is the distance from DP (9) minus half the diagonal 6.365 = 2.635....then half the base times the height for area of triangle. 1/2(12.73)(2.635)=16.8...there may be other ways.

Q6 Incircle was fairly straight forward and the radius was about 3.7 ish...
    B part was tricky. It's a right angled triangle so use pythagoras with the hypontenuse twice the radius 4root5.
    4root5 squared = x squared + 2x squared and solve
    x=4

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Q7 For the pie chart just multiply each of the % by 360 to work out how many degrees in each section.
    More percentages to fill out the table and a bit of multiplication to work out total tax due.
    Next page was all arithmetic, addition, subtraction, division and some more %'s to finish!

Q8 (i) 360 degrees in a circle divided by 3 = 120
    (ii) Area of a circle of radius 65 using formula = 13267
    (iii) Area of a triangle formula 1/2absinC with a and b 65 and C 120 =1829
    (iv) 31% of 25 years is 7.75 years and work out how many minutes in that!! x 365 x 24 x 60....then multiply by 15 times per minute...6.1 x 10^7
    (b) Use ratios or Sine rule to give 173m
    (c) use ratio Tan@=154/100 gives angle of 57
    (ii) error is 60-57=3....as a % 3/57*100 = 5.3%

Q9 (i) ED by Pythagoras = 10.2
    (ii) Angle AEB through ratio cos@=12/14 ...is 31 degrees
    (b) Angle DEB is 180-11-31= 138
    (ii) Cosine rule then to find DB = 22.6m

All that is very rough so could be a few mistakes. That's the gist of it anyway. Hope ye did okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

I did question 5 completely wrong :pac: I hadn't a clue what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

Did well in both papers. Needed a c3 overall for college , 99.9% sure i got it. Estatic

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭RAnderson1995

I loved that paper, Paper one i'd say i probably got about a B in it, but i feel confident i could get an A for paper 2!! Nothing too complicated on the paper, it was a great start to the day that was followed by an unbelievable HL Irish paper 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

So for the question on the wind turbine I got the wrong angle, does this mean that all my other questions that involve using that angle will get me 0 marks even if I do them the right way?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Badwulf wrote: »
    So for the question on the wind turbine I got the wrong angle, does this mean that all my other questions that involve using that angle will get me 0 marks even if I do them the right way?

No your other answers will be correct

Badwulf wrote: »

No, you'll still get marks for all your other work! even if the answers are wrong, if you used the right method they'll reward you!

brijay wrote: »
    No your other answers will be correct

Woah, thats a load off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

Is the formula we were supposed to use for the area of the sector the one with the angle over 360? And I am SO happy the incircle came up. As of Friday I had never done a construction in my life and got them done over the weekend! The B part of that question though was annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Catherinem1616

No, you'll still get marks for all your other work! even if the answers are wrong, if you used the right method they'll reward you!

What was the angle?

What was the angle?

i got 20 i think .. it definitely WASN'T 60 like many people put down, but i don't know if my answer is correct either!

You know for where they asked why some people may not have registered yet for the household tax could you say that the deadline may not have passed for registration?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Lenmeister

As long as the answer is relevant then you'll get marks, how many I'm not sure.

I said the what I thought would be the most likely case: People trying to avoid paying extra in taxes.

I left my calculator at home and had problems using stupid Casio one. Everything was stuck in fraction mode and wouldn't give me the feckin decimals, nightmare. Had to change 3 times. Didn't have enough time to finish the last questio, raging at that cause I know trig and would have gotten close to 30 marks, maybe 30. Could be the difference between B and C. Kinda pissed about that but can't do anything now. On to Bio!

I simply said they might not of been able to afford it :pac: apperently thats right as well

• Registered Users Posts: 36 typicalstudent

Hope everyone found it terribly hard. Gonna ride the bell curve to the top. Suck a dick folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

It went ok. Not as good as P1

Was I the only person who found Q8 and Q9 really difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Marteh

i got 20 i think .. it definitely WASN'T 60 like many people put down, but i don't know if my answer is correct either!

It was 120. People made the mistake of thinking it was 180 degrees split into 3 equal ways (hence the 60). But the blades went around in a full circle, so it was 360/3 giving 120 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 juke46

For the question of height of the turbine on Q8 I got 179 meters? And for the angle where she was standing around 80 degrees? Anyone else get anything similar or possibly the same? :P

Advertisement